Thread: Speer / precision gun specialties plastic .38 training bullets?

Speer / precision gun specialties plastic .38 training bullets?

Anyone ever tried them? They are powered by primers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
    Anyone ever tried them? They are powered by primers.
    No, but I've done similar things with thin bars of paraffin wax or old bars of soap (use the case to be loaded as a cookie cutter).

Chris

How loud are they?

Used them for prehistoric building search training with revolvers. About as loud as a cap gun... unless a little black powder got dropped into the case...
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

I have some. I'll bring them to the Revolver Roundup.

I shot some with my brother-in-law's pistol, way back in the late 70s. From what I remember, they weren't that accurate at 5 yards but did penetrate about 1/4 inch into a fiberboard shed wall when I missed the target box (See, I told you they were inaccurate).

For something like teaching a newbie`basic revolver shooting/familiarization (at short ranges) they would probably be OK but they are not much use for anything else.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
    How loud are they?
    Been nearly 20 years, but I don't remember them being loud. As mentioned above, about like a cap gun. I certainly didn't need or want hearing protection.

Chris

I shot a ton of these, in my parents' basement, in the early 1970's. I was much enamored of Bill Jordan and had a S&W 4" M-19. Most of the practice was drawing and point shooting.

There was a shower stall in the basement. I would open the shower curtain, Place a heavy throw rug over the rod, and affix my target to the rug. The bullets would penetrate one side of the doubled rug and the strike the backside portion and drop into the shower stall for easy recovery for reuse.

I wasn't reloading yet, so the fact that you could decap the cases with an awl and re-prime by pressing the case down over a new primer, sitting on a hard surface, was cool.

I'm still a pretty good point shot, but I gave it up for anything serious after Gunsite.

Rosco

User Tag List