Thread: "US Army Awards SIG Sauer Contract for SP2022, MPX, and the MCX"

"US Army Awards SIG Sauer Contract for SP2022, MPX, and the MCX"

US Army Awards SIG Sauer Contract for SP2022, MPX, and the MCX - The Firearm Blog
    Army Contracting Command, New Jersey, have issued a synopsis/solicitation to negotiate a five year indefinite quantity contract with firm fixed price orders for a number of SIG Sauer weapon systems including rifles, submachine guns, pistols and suppressors.

The contract is on behalf of the Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center (ARDEC) and Product Manager Crew Served Weapons as well as several other undisclosed program offices.

The contract includes a number of different weapons with various flexible quantities. These include an order for up to 500 7.62x51mm SIG 716G2 rifles, supplied with one 20-round PMAG each, MCXs carbines in two barrel lengths, 9 and 11.5 inch barrels – 100 of both, there are also orders for MPX submachine guns with 4.5 and 8 inch barrels – 1000 of each. Sources confirm this is unrelated to the Army’s ongoing Sub Compact Weapon programme. There are also orders for as many as 5,000 SIG Sauer SP2022s each with three 15-round magazines and an order for up to 100 SRD9 pistol silencers.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    99% sure this is a purchase for foreign military sales / assistance, just like prior Army purchases of SP2022’s, S&W Sigmas, Ruger P95 etc

I'm just glad to see life breath continuing for the 2022. I hope they continue it after 2022....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    99% sure this is a purchase for foreign military sales / assistance, just like prior Army purchases of SP2022’s, S&W Sigmas, Ruger P95 etc
    That's what I figured, although I hadn't been aware that they had purchased 2022s. Or Smegmas Sigmas, for that mater.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    That's what I figured, although I hadn't been aware that they had purchased 2022s. Or Smegmas Sigmas, for that mater.
    Yes, they bought all three for the Afghan police at one time or another. The Sigma was the SD9VE or what every they call it now.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Yes, they bought all three for the Afghan police at one time or another. The Sigma was the SD9VE or what every they call it now.
    When I was in AFG in 06-07 we were giving the ANP the Sigmas and whatever AK’s we were sent.

I was over there in '11 and '12, and they still had them. IIRC they used steel cased 9mm of some sort.
    Quote Originally Posted by JR1572 View Post
    When I was in AFG in 06-07 we were giving the ANP the Sigmas and whatever AK’s we were sent.
    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by K.Hungus View Post
    I was over there in '11 and '12, and they still had them. IIRC they used steel cased 9mm of some sort.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Hardly a surprise that they were still using less than ten year old pistols. Those folks use stuff up. I bought a Webley-Pryse revolver in Kabul in 2002 or 2003 that dates to 1875-1885. It had been used and abused until the cylinder stop bolt was worn away, the hammer nose left a groove in the star, and the nose was burred and wouldn’t retract. And they still didn’t throw it away. The guy I bought it from had at least 500 Enfield muskets for sale, and there were citizens who were actively using them as self defense and hunting arms. I actually was shot at by one of those dudes.

So a nearly brand new SD or Sigma or SP2022? They’ll still have those in service for a long, long time.
    Last edited by Duelist; 07-11-2018 at 09:06 AM.

MPX? I didn’t know anybody was buying new SMGs in this day and age.
    "A man with an experience is not a slave to a man with an opinion."

User Tag List