Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Texas LEO pic...

Old Texas LEO pic...

This was over at “Traces of Texas” of Facebook. The caption said it was a Texas Ranger in 1946. I was drawn in by the guns and gear. My how gear has changed. No seat belts. No shotgun rack. Open / exposed trigger guard. No retention on the holster. His red light would hang from a hook in the center of the windshield, but it was stored down by the radio.

Totally different times.

Looks like a Browning shotgun... great detail in that old pic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gadfly; 07-09-2018 at 04:40 PM.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Very cool pic! A simpler time.

I didn't know the butt cuff went back that far.

Site Supporter
    That's M.T. Gonzaullas, Texas Ranger. The butt cuff goes back way before 1946.

Looks like a Remington Model 11.

Clutch pedal mashed to the floor, gearshift on columm looks like it's in reverse or possible 2nd..I hate to think what a high speed chase up a twisty road would be like in a car like that with 3 on the tree..yikes!!
    Last edited by ralph; 07-09-2018 at 06:27 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    The Model 11 was very popular with Southwestern lawmen. Kings Gun Works made extended magazine tubes for the 11 as far back as the late 1920's.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I was only guess in the Browning due to the hump back... what are you seeing that tells you Remington? I have no model 11 knowledge....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    I was only guess in the Browning due to the hump back... what are you seeing that tells you Remington? I have no model 11 knowledge....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browning_Auto-5

https://www.guns.com/review/a-browni...gton-model-11/
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 07-09-2018 at 07:44 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Remington Model 11 and the Browning Auto 5 are essentially the same shotgun. Prior to WWII FN has the rights for European production and Remington had the U.S. manufacturing rights.

Pretty much any pre WWII / WWII Auto 5 looking gun is going to be a Remington 11.

I have one. Col. Charles Askins used one with USBP back in the prohibition days. As I recall he had a mag extension and used to tie a white handkerchief around the muzzle and an improvised night sight.

User Tag List