Page 39 of 53 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Fundamentals, Accuracy, & Speed Test (F.A.S.T.)

As promised here is the video of the runs.

1. 4.57
    2. 5.33
    3. 4.70

Last edited by AsianJedi; 11-14-2016 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Fantastic! Big congratulations!
    If this is Gabe White, I just wanted to tell you how much your videos helped me. I studied them for hours and hours. Thank you sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AsianJedi View Post
    If this is Gabe White, I just wanted to tell you how much your videos helped me. I studied them for hours and hours. Thank you sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That's me! Great to hear that, but you did an outstanding job! I love to see people tearing it up with their carry gun. Great work!!!!!!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by AsianJedi View Post
    As promised here is the video of the runs.

1. 4.57
    2. 5.33
    3. 4.70

This was amazing to watch! Congratulations again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fundamentals, Accuracy, & Speed Test (F.A.S.T.)

After running this test a few times I have really been thinking about it a lot over the past week or so.

It seems to me the keys to a sub 5 FAST or just a fast FAST in general comes from 3 main things.

1) the first two "headshots"
    2) the draw
    3) the reload

While the last four shots can be difficult, the target size is generous to allow you to really pull the trigger fast.

I don't want to train the FAST. Meaning, I don't want to practice it as a "drill" repetitively. So I've been thinking about what's the best way of achieving a high score and it seems to me a person needs to be very skilled at the three things listed above.

A sub 5 second FAST requires at least:

1.5 second or less draw to first shot and a 1.5 second reload.

Am I wrong or does it require faster?

I've been reading through this thread and there are a lot of amazing shooters. Some of them don't post anymore which is a bummer.

Edit: the above is just my thoughts and I'm looking for input on it. Am I way off base on this?
    Last edited by JCS; 11-18-2016 at 10:36 AM.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post

I've been reading through this thread and there are a lot of amazing shooters. Some of them don't post anymore which is a bummer.

Edit: the above is just my thoughts and I'm looking for input on it. Am I way off base on this?
    Don't need to be that fast. If you allow a .5 for the second head shot, you don't need 1.5 seconds to shoot 3 rounds to the body.

1.75 first shot
    .5 split
    1.75 reload
    .33 splits

Or

There's your 5.00 FAST
    Last edited by HopetonBrown; 11-18-2016 at 10:48 AM.

It's been said elsewhere by far better shooters than me, but Expert on the FAST, doesn't necessarily require doing any one thing exceptionally well -- it's just consistently performing a sequence of fundamental shooting skills at a solid level. Repeatedly, on demand.

None of the times Hopeton listed are "hard" on their own. Heck I'm "capable" of doing them - occasionally. But doing them all together, consistently? There's a reason much better shooters than me didn't get a coin in class.

That's what makes it such a great little test. It's deceptively simple.

1776, you're exactly right about not drilling the test, instead drilling the individual skills and then using an occasional FAST to measure them.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    After running this test a few times I have really been thinking about it a lot over the past week or so.

It seems to me the keys to a sub 5 FAST or just a fast FAST in general comes from 3 main things.

1) the first two "headshots"
    2) the draw
    3) the reload

While the last four shots can be difficult, the target size is generous to allow you to really pull the trigger fast.

I don't want to train the FAST. Meaning, I don't want to practice it as a "drill" repetitively. So I've been thinking about what's the best way of achieving a high score and it seems to me a person needs to be very skilled at the three things listed above.

HopetonBrown has a couple of good breakdowns.

The way I always used to see it broken down on paper was:

1.50, .50 / 2.00 / .25, .25, .25 = 4.75, with a quarter second margin.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    It's been said elsewhere by far better shooters than me, but Expert on the FAST, doesn't necessarily require doing any one thing exceptionally well -- it's just consistently performing a sequence of fundamental shooting skills at a solid level. Repeatedly, on demand.

None of the times Hopeton listed are "hard" on their own. Heck I'm "capable" of doing them - occasionally. But doing them all together, consistently? There's a reason much better shooters than me didn't get a coin in class.

That's what makes it such a great little test. It's deceptively simple.

1776, you're exactly right about not drilling the test, instead drilling the individual skills and then using an occasional FAST to measure them.
    Good comments!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Fundamentals, Accuracy, & Speed Test (F.A.S.T.)

I look at it on paper with the same break down as Gabe. My draw is usually a little slower and the first split a little quicker, but point being I want to be done with the 3x5 in 2 seconds and leave myself enough time for .25 splits on the circle. The reload is where I personally need the most work, that's usually the part of the breakdown I miss. And if I get a good reload it's usually after I completely flub the draw. Like they said, being able to put it all together on demand is not easy.

The bigger issue is that misses absolutely destroy your score. Take the time to get your hits, just don't take any more time than you need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mitch; 11-18-2016 at 11:30 AM.

That is a hell of a first post AJ.

Congrats on your coin, and thanks for sharing your video with us!
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

User Tag List