Page 31 of 53 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Fundamentals, Accuracy, & Speed Test (F.A.S.T.)

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    just flowed to shoot what I saw, how I saw.
    Great job JHC! No firm idea on the coffee, but what I quoted of yours stands out to me as a very likely factor. Truly just shooting the sights is huge. Just absolutely huge. Maybe the new sights helped get you more interested in that. But whatever - keep doing it.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Interesting FAST experience today. Day in day out when I show up and shoot a few FAST I expect to be in the mid to high 5's range. It has been about two years since I've shot one under 5 seconds and very few of those were clean.

This morning I shot four of them. Shot a fourth because it was too much fun to stop. The funny thing is all four were under 5 seconds. That never happens. Didn't feel rushed or anything just flowed to shoot what I saw, how I saw. 4.79 - 4.86 range. The first three had at least one card miss and a 8" circle miss. Then the fourth was clean at 4.86.

Later I shot a 2.28 Bill Drill which is pretty sporty for me, maybe a PR with 5 alphas and 1 Charlie. Again just felt natural, unforced.

out of focus (sorry) vid of the FAST https://www.flickr.com/photos/780361...posted-public/

The bill drill https://www.flickr.com/photos/780361...posted-public/

Looking for an explanation for easily finding a second to trim from four FAST in a row and .25 sec from a BD (which I rarely shoot) I identified two variables that were unique to today.

1. I just put a set of yellow/green Trijicon HDs on this pistol, the RTF2 G17 with a dot connector. Many have referenced SCIENCE! that our eyes/brain see green the easiest. IDK about that. Most of my HDs are orange but my G42 has green because that was all that was handy at the LGS and I've liked the looks of them on the range better than I'd assessed in the stores. I doubt that could make such a difference but it's one thing new today.

2. And what I find more intriguing is my pre - range coffee. Instead of just coffee it was our homemade version of "Bulletproof" coffee (google it) made with blended organic salt free butter and coconut oil. You can read from search results what this coffee blend it supposed to do for your concentration/brain etc. " boosts cognitive function, mainlining a shining dose of mental clarity"

Those are the only two out of ordinary variables I have identified today. No change in gear except the sights. No extra or different dry fire routine from my normal NONE. I could dismiss one flier under 5 but four in a row and the perception that they were moving that fast and sure without an rush or pushin; just naturally and a clear mental focus.
    Outstanding. You were definitely in the zone. Congrats!

My first post! I had a PR today on the range with the FAST drill!
    Last edited by Tom_Jones; 11-03-2015 at 12:13 AM. Reason: embedded video

Quote Originally Posted by RyanBranscum View Post
    Dat reload!!!!! Nice.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Dat reload!!!!! Nice.
    Thanks man!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanBranscum View Post
    That's some really solid shooting dude. Nice work!

Gave it another go today! 4.05!!

Last edited by Tom_Jones; 11-07-2015 at 09:36 PM. Reason: embedded video

Sweet shootin! Got any target pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    Sweet shootin! Got any target pics?
    I don't. Next time I'm gonna take my go-pro to set up on the target. I love this drill.

I shot a FAST yesterday. Not cold, had done a little dry practice and shooting first.

Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List