Page 27 of 53 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Fundamentals, Accuracy, & Speed Test (F.A.S.T.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Your hand speed on the draw is incredible.
    No shit!!! That hand speed is amazing!

Shot one cold Micro FAST the other day before basic pistol class. Made one change to the way I'm doing it. I'm using that same Radio Cab note pad for the body target, but defining the target zone differently. I previously would have counted any hit on that piece of paper, including the logo part at the top – so 3x6” altogether. The proportion of that 3x6” to an 8” circle is out of step with the proportion of the 2” circle to a 3x5” though, so before I shot this Micro FAST, I consciously decided that the target zone would now be the white paper below the logo only, so that's 3x4” for the body target, which is a lot closer to the 2” circle – 3x5” rectangle proportion.

1.29, .81 / 2.06 / .44, .45, .46 = 5.51 clean

Looks like 1.29 is my time for that first shot to the 2” circle, lol...

Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I'm curious what your time from beep to master grip is? Stoeger's micro drill's suggest that .4, with comp gear is a good time.

.4 is possible with an OWB holster and vest for concealment (at least in dry fire), your time looks faster than that.

I looked at time coding in a video editor, and best I can come up with is .36, but it could be maybe .05 above or below that.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Thanks for looking at that. .36ish from concealed is simply outstanding. There is so much going on with your concealed carry draw that it would be really interesting to see your draw in a high quality slow motion capture. There's lots to learn there I think.

Edit: Just saw TG's post in your training journal, regarding his HS camera.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 03-17-2015 at 11:39 PM.

Got to get out for some shooting for the first time in forever, started with a rifle then moved to pistol. Whenever I shoot rifles I use a war belt and the holster, mag pouches, etc already on it. I decided to shoot a few FAST drills and surprised myself with a 4.99 clean on my 3rd run. But does it count? I have a G-Code XST mounted on an HSGI padded belt; does this qualify as a true retention holster? It's not an open top retention a la Serpa or Safariland ALS, it has a thumb activated hood. I'll try it again next time AIWB and see where I'm at there. Just wondering if the unconcealed holster I used jives with the official FAST rules.

Site Supporter
    5.39-1.80/.55/2.22/.32/.25/.25
    -Glock 34, Gen 3, 3.5 lb OEM Con. w 5.5 lb trigger spring, Std OEM Slide Rel, OEM Ext Mag Release (stippled and shaped), Ameriglo Pro Operators,green front(orange painted), yellow rears (sharpied black)
    -Keepers Kydex AIWB
    -CCC BMC
    -Wilderness 1.5 inch CSM Frequent Flyer Belt (buckle offset at 3:30)
    Puma Cotton T-Shirt
    American Eagle 147 FMJ

I shot this clean after shooting a 5.31 down a head and a body. The head was out badly. I am happy to be breaking 6 seconds given my relative lack of shooting over the past few years. Accuracy, particularly in the head at 95-100% speed, is not consistant. I suspect I am at the edge of my lane and 6 ish is my "zone".

I also suspect that my PR of 5.26 is safe unless I get lucky or I start a consistent dry fire routine and practicing the components of the test. As an aside, when I was doing some other drills I had some teen splits with the 9mm that I do not typically have with a 180 Speer Lawman .40 cal. in an otherwise identical gun. At the expense of being Capt. Obvious, I can shoot a 9mm faster after a significant layoff of practice relative to a .40 cal being shot on a near weekly basis.

Site Supporter
    5.08/1.61/.69/2.08/.25/.23/.22
    Glock 34, Gen 3, 3.5 lb OEM Con. w 5.5 lb trigger spring, Vickers Slide Release, OEM Ext. Mag Release (stippled and shaped), Ameriglo .140 green front w/orag. circle/.180 yellow pro operator rear ( Spec'd out by Chuck, Spencer, myself and others way before Spartan)
    Keepers Kydex AIWB
    Wilderness 1.5 inch CSM Frequent Flyer Belt (buckle offset at 3:30)
    Moosejaw Cotton T-Shirt
    Remington 115g FMJ

I chased this for over an hour of runs with both an identically set up G35, a G22 ( red FO Front)and the G34 above after clocking a number of sub 6 second runs missing either one body or one head.

To shoot 2 in a row clean- my times were 6.57 and 6.29. During these runs, I was absolutely sure my head shoots were in and my splits nearly doubled.

Takeaways- MY New PR is nowhere near my On Demand time. Dry firing my reloads would help me break 2 seconds. 2 shot live drill firing on some 3x5s would too on that phase of the drill.

YMMV Greatly

David Barnes

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    5.08/1.61/.69/2.08/.25/.23/.22
    Glock 34, Gen 3, 3.5 lb OEM Con. w 5.5 lb trigger spring, Vickers Slide Release, OEM Ext. Mag Release (stippled and shaped), Ameriglo .140 green front w/orag. circle/.180 yellow pro operator rear ( Spec'd out by Chuck, Spencer, myself and others way before Spartan)
    Keepers Kydex AIWB
    Wilderness 1.5 inch CSM Frequent Flyer Belt (buckle offset at 3:30)
    Moosejaw Cotton T-Shirt
    Remington 115g FMJ

I chased this for over an hour of runs with both an identically set up G35, a G22 ( red FO Front)and the G34 above after clocking a number of sub 6 second runs missing either one body or one head.

To shoot 2 in a row clean- my times were 6.57 and 6.29. During these runs, I was absolutely sure my head shoots were in and my splits nearly doubled.

Takeaways- MY New PR is nowhere near my On Demand time. Dry firing my reloads would help me break 2 seconds. 2 shot live drill firing on some 3x5s would too on that phase of the drill.

YMMV Greatly

David Barnes
    Nice times. That seems like a world away right now. So the sights you are talking about, did they contribute to the good time, or was that coincidental?

Site Supporter
    No question for me that a high vis front i.e. orange painted relatively narrow front mated to a wider rear helps me pick up the front sight better and faster.

For my related vision odessey

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ibility-sights

User Tag List