Page 21 of 53 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Fundamentals, Accuracy, & Speed Test (F.A.S.T.)

Tiger teams, mount up!!

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Just some personal advice, bro, but I'd take this opportunity to retrain the technique away from the muzzle-straight-up position you'd been using during your reload. It was easily costing you 0.25-0.50 every time.
    Now you did it.
    You tripped the light switch in my head.
    During class you kept trying to get me to get a solid elbow index, but I never caught the too high muzzle issue.
    When I'd elbow index with my muzzle direction it felt cramped.
    When you specifically pointed out how high my muzzle is the switch tripped and everything started clicking.
    This afternoon, in just 30 repetitions I shaved off almost a full second by concentrating on keeping the gun closer to level and moving my magazine carrier back closer to 9:30.
    I was easily, consistently beating a 2 sec. par time for dry reloads with a solid press out (no cheating the press out to beat the buzzer).
    That's already a solid 1/4 second off my old reload times along with being much more consistent.
    I can see where a few weeks of dry practice will get me a solid 1.8 reload.
    Now I gotta show up to class in April... my OCD will not let me leave a coin up for grabs without having another try at it.
    Last edited by JodyH; 11-25-2011 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    That's precisely why we say more than three in a day is cheating. Once you've done a few it hits a rhythm and it's no longer really giving you an "honest" score. FWIW, I'd use 8.38 as my baseline. That was your best of three cold.
    In my readings of your forum and blog, I remembered an assigned stop, though I did not recall the exact number. Your advice (definitely) followed: 8.38 baseline it is.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Working the last two DotW boosted me to a FAST personal best of 5.13 (1.55 .48 2.16 .30 .33 .31). It came right after a clean 5.66 and was followed by a 4.79 (-1B 1.42 .41 2.07 .34 .28 .27). I botched the reload in the first string, but ran a new personal best in the last. Mag changes have been my achilles heel of late. Did cheat a bit with one mag of 3x5 Push to burn off the coffee flinches. 12 days since last FAST. P30LS V3 - CBST IWB - T shirt concealment.
    Last edited by Stuffbreaker; 11-27-2011 at 05:14 PM.

P30 9mm, Archangel, Fricke horizontal mag carrier, T-shirt.
    The new reload technique is working.
    These times were set with a brand new horizontal mag carrier that I only had 60 dry runs with prior to hitting the range today.
    I should be able to easily shave another .25sec. and level these times out at a smooth 4.80
    I love it when a plan comes together.

It is nice to see improvement.

I shot with BOM today and we started and stopped our session with this drill. I am finally breaking 7 seconds constantly and BOM was in the mid 5 sec.

I've shot this test maybe 20 times in the past 2 years. I either forget to print out the targets or just forget about the test itself, usually the latter of the two. My best time clean so far was over a year ago, at a 4.6x and I usually average a 4.8x from duty gear. The last time I shot prior to this was at USSA's Pro Am on 12/11/11, so it's been almost a month since I've had trigger time.

I had a little free time before going off duty yesterday, so I went and shot this, and only got to do it once. It was shot from my duty rig, which consist of a Safariland 6004 SLS holster and Safariland 079 open top mag pouch. The weapon is a Glock 34, all stock internals and Sevigny Sights with tac light. I hadn't presented my weapon full speed from my duty holster in quite some time (I know, shame on me), so my support hand rode higher then usually, keeping the slide lock lever down, keeping the weapon from going into slide lock, forcing me to put the gun back into battery. Here are my times.

.5-----2.22
    2.19---4.41
    .33----4.74
    .32----5.06
    .32----5.38

I estimate I lost anywhere from .4-.6 from having to feed a round, as my reloads usually run 1.5x-1.7x. No excuses though, my own fault for not keeping up with non live fire practice :P Here is a vid. Oh, and I know, I forgot to put my eyes on.

We are diminished
    A note about reporting FAST times...

We were having a discussion in the Staff forum about different ways people report their scores. For consistency's sake, this is the proper way:

Total time including penalties for misses (misses): head shot, 3x5 split / reload / 8" split, 8" split, 8" split

e.g., if you shot it in 6.50 seconds and had one body miss, the report would be: "7.50 (-1B)" not "6.50 (-1B)."

F.A.S.T.

Attended the Speed Kills & Get Some class in Indy in Sept. Shot FAST of 10.22 After some serious work on my press out and switching to a DeltaPoint optic on my G19 I shot 6.56 today. Consistently shooting 7.5 - 8.3. It was fun to break the 7 sec barrier. This drill is really improving my gun handling skills - thanks Todd!

Ran the FAST three times the other day and had to run it on a par time as my phone( iPhone running the Surefire shot timer) would not pick up all the shots.
    I set it for a 5 second par time and had the wife run the timer and keep track if I was done before or after the last buzzer. I was ahead of the 5 sec twice ( the two clean runs) and WAY ahead of it once and that was the -1 head run. ( phone said 4.28 but I do not know if that was right)
    So two runs under 5 clean and one run of under 7(-1 head)

I was really amazed had how easy the test was running it on a par time........ TLG had told me to do this sometime ago but I just did not "get it" until I tried it!!!!! I'll defiantly do this more!!!!!! Now that is of course dependent on you skill level, but finding a good par time will teach you things about running this test.
    Gun was Glock 35 gen4, running my mods and my Prototype AIWB holster and a closed front cover garment, UA shirt and fleece vest.
    Here's a Pic of the target.
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

User Tag List