Page 13 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Fundamentals, Accuracy, & Speed Test (F.A.S.T.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    but holy smokes man, 3 clean sub 4.0 runs!
    It wasn't done from concealment. Concealment makes a BIG difference.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    It wasn't done from concealment. Concealment makes a BIG difference.
    Seems to depend a lot on the mode of concealment yes? Untucked T shirt etc is much more challenging than an open jacket. I have not found an open garment with hip carry to slow the FAST down much (.5 sec sometimes). Is that not universal experience?

OTOH, he was using a racing rig which must be a factor too. OK, got that. Sub 4.0 is still fast FAST.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    As with many things, it depends. It's not just about the garment, but how you carry (AIWB or traditional IWB). Sometimes you lose some time on the draw and make it up on the reload.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Sub 4.0 is still fast FAST.
    Just a nit: An 'unconcealed FAST' is not a FAST. Comparing the two is of (almost) no value.
    Last edited by JV_; 07-26-2011 at 03:58 PM.

Pulling from a bunch of data I have, there is about a 0.50-1.00 second variance on FAST times from "unconcealed" (which isn't a true FAST) vs. concealed. I run the FAST three times at the start of every practice regardless of whether I'm practicing for USPSA or an IDPA match, which means I've run it a bunch from under a concealment garment and a bunch from my USPSA rig. The biggest reason I do this is because FAST tells me pretty quickly how I "feel" that day in terms of shooting. If my 3 runs go smooth, I'm probably going to have a good practice session and should try and push myself, if my 3 runs are rough then I'll look at the rough parts and focus on those.

I've found on average using the same holster but belt mounted instead of DOH and a double mag pouch, under a loose jacket adds at most .5 of a second. But I don't shoot that way normally so I don't practice it that way normally.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

I had a few rounds left over and ran this for the first time last night. I used an IPSC target since that is what I had on-hand. I substituted credit card for the 3x5 card and the upper A-zone for the 8" circle, so I suppose it was not a true FAST. Still, it gave me a good baseline of my performance.

Shot a 6.58 clean.

1911 w/X-300
    Safariland 6004
    Eagle FB mag pouches

I definitely have some areas I could clean up. A sub-6.00 is definitely doable for me. I would be interested to see what I can do from concealment.

We are diminished
    KB -- The IPSC head box A-zone is substantially smaller than a 3x5. Quite a few folks have run the FAST that way and there's no question it demands a lot more time for a clean run.

I never thought about using Credit Cards for this....new debt reduction technique...I wonder if we could cross reference this to Congress

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    KB -- The IPSC head box A-zone is substantially smaller than a 3x5. Quite a few folks have run the FAST that way and there's no question it demands a lot more time for a clean run.
    As I discovered...

I had myself convinced that it would not be that big of an issue right up until the timer sounded and I got on the sights. I am fairly certain that using the 3x5 will get me pretty close to a 6.00. The headshots ate up a lot of time.

On that note...the first time I went to the range to try the, "Dot Torture," and, "FAST," drills, I honestly had a, "DAMN! I SUCK!" moment.

Dot Torture went fine, but I couldn't get past the 7.5 or 8 second range (clean) on a total of four attempts at the FAST (2 cold, 2 at the end). I talked to the guys at the range, who are all USPSA guys, and they thought it looked tough too. I left scratching my head...

That night, a gnome that sometimes lives in my basement named Paul Gomez came by and I shared my findings with him. He asked to see the targets. He said they looked good, but that I overlooked something. "What's that?" He said, "You didn't print them on legal sized paper...idiot."

DOH! I found the drill to be easier (but not easy) with a, "regulation," sized target. Lesson learned.

User Tag List