Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Fundamentals, Accuracy, & Speed Test (F.A.S.T.)

Hello All,

I've been lurking from the beginning of P-F.com, but I don't usually say much on forums. Thanks to Todd and everyone for a very enjoyable forum!

I took some video this morning of three cold, legitimate FAST runs. The times were:

.94/.24/1.58/.22/.21/.19 = 3.38 (-2 head) = 7.38
    1.04/.28/2.11/.21/.21/.20 = 4.05 Clean. A new personal best for me for a legitimate run! But oh, the blown reload! If I had nailed the reload, I would have had the record (probably not official since it was not at a P-T.com class or recognized event.)
    1.01/.27/1.55/.22/.20/.20 = 3.45 (-1 head, -2 body) = 7.45

My fastest raw speed ever on the FAST is 3.25 (-2 body.) Prdator, I know I told you 3.25 (-1 head.) I was mistaken. After referring to my notes, I see that I was crossing wires between that and a different run.

The obvious criticism of the above runs is all the missed shots. I have a very hard time slowing down and shooting it clean. I think inconsistency is the biggest problem in my shooting. I have a very hard time treating the FAST like the shooting test it is, and instead shoot it like my life depends on the speed. I get very wrapped up in the results on the timer instead of the results on the target, which is the opposite of what I should be doing. I know that is wrong of me per the philosophy and design of the test; it is simply a personal shortcoming, a lack of mental discipline, that I don't make myself shoot it the way it is supposed to be shot.

Video is below:

I also shot a personal best illegitimate run today (extra runs after the legit three runs.) Please don't hate me for being a cheater!

.99/.25/1.63/.21/.21/.20 = 3.49 Clean

Please pardon my swearing and babbling in this video. I got kind of excited!

Video is below:

I haven't watched myself shooting on video in a very long time. It sure does show me a lot! I cannot believe how bent my arms are. They clearly need to be more extended than they are. I will definitely be working on that. I can see myself shoving the gun down onto the magazine on some reloads. That also seems like a point of error and inefficiency. I didn't know I was doing that either, and I am not sure why I am. I think it might be helping me activate the slide stop lever, but after the magazine is actually inserted perhaps. Not sure on that one.

Again, thanks to Todd and all the members here. I very much enjoy Pistol-Forum.com!

Gabriel White

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post

I cannot believe how bent my arms are. They clearly need to be more extended than they are. Gabriel White
    WHY????

I have a guess as to why. Back in the early 90's I was leaving the Weaver Stance of my '80's and working on the "Modern Iso" and settled on that both arms equally bent, centered in front of the face. I could crank out some very fast first hits shooting the BHPs and P7 I used a lot back then. I changed to full extension based on the counsel/training etc that it's a very hard to resist stress response and it's the dominant method by the dominant top shooters. FWIW.

I enjoyed the vids. What holster was that?
    Last edited by JHC; 07-04-2011 at 06:44 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    WHY????

I have a guess as to why. Back in the early 90's I was leaving the Weaver Stance of my '80's and working on the "Modern Iso" and settled on that both arms equally bent, centered in front of the face. I could crank out some very fast first hits shooting the BHPs and P7 I used a lot back then. I changed to full extension based on the counsel/training etc that it's a very hard to resist stress response and it's the dominant method by the dominant top shooters. FWIW.

I enjoyed the vids. What holster was that?
    Thank you JHC! Glad you liked them. You almost didn't get to see them because I was very foolish in not bringing the AC adapter for the camcorder and it ran out of batteries, so I drove home, plugged it in, and burned the dvd. Fortunately, the video was still there. Whew!

Honestly, I thought I was extending my arms more than I was. They are not bent that far on purpose. You may be right that I am simply stopping the gun early (unconsciously) to fire the first shot sooner. I tried a other few drills with my arms more deliberately out to about 90% extension, not elbows locked, but close, and immediately felt an improvement in recoil control and saw a few split times that are better than I usually have, so I will continue exploring that.

The holster is a Blade-Tech Nano that I've modified to be more suitable for AIWB carry (for me.) I love it so much I have yet to buy a holster that is actually designed for AIWB.

Site Supporter
    I shot my personal best this weekend:

5.23s
    Clean
    Cold
    With a new gun (Glock 19 rather than a 17)

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I shot my personal best this weekend:

5.23s
    Clean
    Cold
    With a new gun (Glock 19 rather than a 17)
    Nice. Did you swap out sights on the new 19 yet? If so, to what?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Nice. Did you swap out sights on the new 19 yet? If so, to what?
    All of my Glocks wear Heinie Ledge sights.

Shot the FAST for the first time in over a month.
    4.87 clean
    4.77 -1H (6.77)
    4.97 -1B (5.97)

Again, thanks to Todd and all the members here. I very much enjoy Pistol-Forum.com!

Gabriel White
    Some damn nice shooting!

Nice shooting! Nice draw especially. You should be able to shave some time off your reload if you didn't jerk the gun down like that. It's tough to see but it also looks like you're holding the mag like a candy bar? If so you should be able to get some more consistency and speed on entering the magwell if you hold it like this:

All I know is that I know nothing. - Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by DonovanM View Post
    Nice shooting! Nice draw especially. You should be able to shave some time off your reload if you didn't jerk the gun down like that. It's tough to see but it also looks like you're holding the mag like a candy bar? If so you should be able to get some more consistency and speed on entering the magwell if you hold it like this:

You mean you don't hold your candy bars with that grip?

I grip both magazines and candy bars as depicted in your photo, though I don't always get as deep a grip on the magazine as is shown in your photo, due to the unusual magazine carrier I use (two Dale Fricke Archangels, duct taped together to make a double pouch, angled and staggered, at 11:30 and 12:00 under a closed front shirt. Small knife at 11:00 and G34 at 1:00.) Sometimes I end up coming up with the magazine in that grip, but without my finger reaching the nose of the bullet, like when a person with very small hands and a long magazine uses that grip.

Seriously, thanks John Ralston and DonovanM for the compliments!

Working furiously on correcting the issues I can see from the videos.

User Tag List