Page 45 of 53 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Fundamentals, Accuracy, & Speed Test (F.A.S.T.)

Site Supporter
    Yesterday this blind squirrel found a big fat FAST nut. I typically run the FAST every three months or so, and my previous best was 5.00 in December. My reload was somewhere in the 2.25 - 2.35 range. A couple weeks ago I was shooting some other drills and was fumbling reloads so I decided it was well past time to work on them. The next day I started incorporating reloads into my dry work again.

So then yesterday at the end of my range session I had a few rounds left in the bag and shot the FAST for the hell of it. If I had any idea I would have beat my PR by this much I would have filmed it.

M&P 2.0 9mm
    JMCK IWB at 3:00
    Untucked t-shirt

4.33 clean: 1.46, .50 / 1.69 / .26, .21, .21

The sights told me it was clean, the target was clean, but I didn't believe the time at first. My first thought was that I must have only put three rounds in the reload. But the timer said six shots. Then I used the calculator on my phone to make sure the math was right. 4.33.

I shot it a second time but it wasn't clean. Time was 4.29: 1.43, .50 / 1.80 / .19, .18, .19
    I dropped one head shot and one body shot on that run.

I know it's not a cold run, but I'll take 4.33 anytime.

Name:  IMAG1929.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  22.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    Awesome
    Nice shooting scjbash, way to go!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Nice shooting scjbash, way to go!
    Thanks. I had already shot a quite bit, including your standards/tests/whatever they should be called, so I was good and warmed up. The next time I shoot the FAST I'll run it cold. I'll be very happy if I break under 5.00 cold.

I guess this is kind of an open-ended question, but ideally, what is a good time to land your first shot on the index card after drawing?

I figured if I can get there in under 2.0s consistently, then I'm moving forward. This is just my guess though.

I'm shooting for a first round hit in the 1.4-1.5s range. I'm currently in the 1.6-1.7 range, with a .35-.40 second shot on the 3x5. Ran my first ever sub 5s FAST yesterday (4.94 clean), and finished the day with a 4.70 clean. I am really hustling at that speed and feel very rushed. If I nail the draw and reload I can split the shots. If I fumble either, I'll blow the whole run. I'm personally more likely to fumble the draw than the reload. I need to work more on getting off my DA shot as it hits full extension.
    Last edited by MSparks909; 04-19-2017 at 09:45 AM.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    I guess this is kind of an open-ended question, but ideally, what is a good time to land your first shot on the index card after drawing?

I figured if I can get there in under 2.0s consistently, then I'm moving forward. This is just my guess though.
    The bottom line is that if you are getting better then you are moving forward.

As far as times on each part of the FAST, which may or may not be very relevant to you currently, this used to be cited as a template for getting under 5 seconds: 1.50, .50 / 2.00 / .25, .25, .25 = 4.75.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post

(just really vaguely spitballing times here) At 7 yards a hit to an A zone should be in the 1 second range, so I'd say add a little and assume a hit to a USPSA head box would be more around 1.2, plus concealment maybe 1.4. That's where I'd start and adjust from there depending on how good/crappy I'm shooting that day (and depending on equipment which can vary wildly).

I'm interested to shoot a FAST as I haven't done it in ages and have no idea what my times are outside of dry fire, but my damned timer took a crap (AGAIN) so I won't have the chance until a new one is in. 7 yards is pretty in your face, I'd imagine with a couple runs you could really burn it down.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

The reason I bring up the first shot time wise is not only for FAST, but because I feel like I waste too much time trying to aim and I'm trying to see how I can streamline this to economize my time. Not only do I feel slow on a FAST index card, but even on easier targets such as the 5" circle you shoot for the classic 5x5 drill. (5 shots at 5 yds in 5.0s on a 5" circle--the H.S. diploma of handgun shooting, per Mr. Ellifritz).

FAST Cold
    Beretta PX4CC
    Starting position: “Concealed” under a tee shirt
    Type of holster:JMCK Wing Claw 2.0
    Time and hits for string 1: 9.24 Clean
    2.88, 1.24, 3.24, .51, .38, .99
    Time and hits for string 2: 7.78 -2 Head
    2.53, .97, 3.19, .39, .34, .36
    Time and hits for string 3: 8.12 -1 Head, -1 Body
    2.47, .93, 3.70, .36, .33, .33
    Aggregate score: 32.14 14/18

Name:  IMG_0922.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  51.0 KB
    Last edited by bigslim; 07-23-2017 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Not sure why my pics are rotated

FAST Cold
    Beretta PX4CC
    Starting position: Concealed under a Polo shirt
    Type of holster:JMCK Wing Claw 2.0

Time and hits for string 1: 9.34 -1H
    2.97, .82, 4.28, .47, .40, .40

Time and hits for string 2: 8.43 C
    3.22, .84, 3.09, .44, .44, .40

Time and hits for string 3: 9.93 -2H
    3.11, .93, 4.64, .46, .41, .38

Aggregate score: 33.70 15/18

Name:  IMG_0948.jpg