Page 44 of 53 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Fundamentals, Accuracy, & Speed Test (F.A.S.T.)

Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    I think some people might find this interesting. I shoot the FAST 3 times in a row with 3 different guns to see what the difference is.

Amazing! so smooth and consistent.
    Last edited by SsevenN; 02-18-2017 at 04:51 PM.
    "I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    Very cool. What have you done to your g34 trigger?

Awesome shooting with all three!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has a Ghost Springs: 4.5# Striker, extra power trigger return spring and a reduced power firing pin safety plunger spring. The ejector block has an overtravel stop in it. The trigger bar and striker are stock but I did take some million grit sandpaper to the parts that touch. KKM Barrel and Jaeger guide rod.
    A71593

Quote Originally Posted by SsevenN View Post
    So despite my demeanor in the video I am serious about improving. Beyond increasing grip strength for follow up shots and shot placement consistency, where else do I speed up/improve? Are there any glaring issues I'm not aware of?
    I do have an AIWB holster on order for a 4" FNS - my previous mentality was "train" on the Longslide at 3 O'clock and carry the compact IWB at the 4:30 but now I see how that is a facile training system.

EDIT: Sorry I swear constantly, mind your ears.

Here is my .02 (currently trading at .01), you have a lot of wasted, franetic movment involved in your cover clearing, draw, reload and presentation.

The misconception is that rapid movement is the key, it is not. The key is efficiency. Breakdown each movment to only what you need. For example, the squat on the draw is not neccesary. The magazine flip on the reload is not necessary. The swooping, squatting, moving, presentation after the reload is not neccessary. If you eliminated these movements you would probably pick up another 1 to 1.5 in you time.

Please accept this as friendly advice, not criticism.
    Last edited by AsianJedi; 02-18-2017 at 10:37 PM.
    FAST Coin Owner #15
    Paper M in Carry Optics #A96020
    Point 1 Tactics Elite Standards Coin #4

So despite my demeanor in the video I am serious about improving. Beyond increasing grip strength for follow up shots and shot placement consistency, where else do I speed up/improve? Are there any glaring issues I'm not aware of?
    I do have an AIWB holster on order for a 4" FNS - my previous mentality was "train" on the Longslide at 3 O'clock and carry the compact IWB at the 4:30 but now I see how that is a facile training system.

May I add the mental component as well, you start out by stating you're going to fail. Maybe that's how you've found what works for you but I would try to find what your ideal start state is and make sure you're breathing while you're waiting for the tone to drop. It helps you relax and stay smoother. This has been one of the things that has helped my reaction time in situations like this (I still suck!) And I'm not trying to go down this road, but you press check after each string but didn't press check to start off...there should be consistency and purpose in all your movements. I did this just the other day, press check, everything ready, mind right etc. and..........I forgot to turn on the damn timer.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootingrn View Post
    Snip
    Quote Originally Posted by AsianJedi View Post
    snip

I really appreciate the feedback from both of you guys - sorry if I don't respond point by point I have kind of a general post lined out - Just wanted you to know I really appreciate it, feedback and interaction is that extra "push" I need when my confidence wains.

Well shit guys, I guess I was fooling myself thinking I shot sub 7 seconds regularly. With self enforced video accounting and my ego thoroughly bitch slapped I'm seeing I need to be a lot more deliberate if I want consistency, and somehow find speed in there too (yikes)

I had to strip my "Talon grips" off my pistol because they were too grippy - no kidding, I couldn't "slide into home plate" with the webbing of my thumb on the draw - this was leading to a lot of bobbled draws and magazine malfunctions.

Well now my draw is good again - but I really miss that insane traction, it was legitimately helping me shoot ~1 second faster overall thanks to the increased recoil control.

I'm going to start to hold myself to honest video accounting - no matter how many fumbles

Without those grips - well even with them, I need to build some serious strength if I want to shoot faster.

"I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

I really appreciate the feedback from both of you guys - sorry if I don't respond point by point I have kind of a general post lined out - Just wanted you to know I really appreciate it, feedback and interaction is that extra "push" I need when my confidence wains.

Well shit guys, I guess I was fooling myself thinking I shot sub 7 seconds regularly. With self enforced video accounting and my ego thoroughly bitch slapped I'm seeing I need to be a lot more deliberate if I want consistency, and somehow find speed in there too (yikes)

I had to strip my "Talon grips" off my pistol because they were too grippy - no kidding, I couldn't "slide into home plate" with the webbing of my thumb on the draw - this was leading to a lot of bobbled draws and magazine malfunctions.

Well now my draw is good again - but I really miss that insane traction, it was legitimately helping me shoot ~1 second faster overall thanks to the increased recoil control.

I'm going to start to hold myself to honest video accounting - no matter how many fumbles

Without those grips - well even with them, I need to build some serious strength if I want to shoot faster.

I'm probably the least qualified person to speak on the topic, but the FAST times largely comes down to your draw and reload. Of course you have to make hits but a majority of the total time occurs drawing and reloading.

The good thing is that we can get faster at those without ever firing a round by doing dry fire.

What are your splits?

A 7.5 fast is still good. Most dudes carrying a gun can't do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Bruh...Hahaha

We need more videos like this. They are funny and we get to have a lot of good discussion and everyone gets to learn.

As was stated fast movement is cool, but sometimes we waste time by making unnecessary or not required movements.

Try to not move your upper body at all. As in no twisting motion. You also over travel your hands to draw your gun to pass your jacket. You can just move your hands inside your jacket or grip and rip just enough to get a grip. Also the mag flip thing or whatever, yeah cool looking but kills time.

Good shooting overall.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I already posted these in my journal, but wanted to post them here. I think more folks look at this thread and I'm looking for as much feed back as I can.

FAST: 6.67s (Clean)
    1.85 draw/.10/2.92 reload/2.52/.45/.40

FAST:9.34s (Clean) *TIME MALF?*
    1.78 draw/1.06/4.72 reload, tap&rack/.61/.59/.10/.48

FAST: 6.60s (Clean) *TIME MALF?*
    1.82 draw/.10/.72/.10/2.71/.38/.32/.10/.35

Some notes I've gotten so far:
    -Move faster to draw after beep.
    -Lean forward more!
    -Slightly more bend at elbows (honestly the way I hold feels natural and I like it. But this will at least get a try).
    -Reloads. If you watch the video it will be painfully obvious that I don't dry practice them enough. Heck, I even let my slide go early.

Anything you guys can help me do to improve? Besides more FASTs. I use them as a gauge, not a drill. Three at the start of each range visit. Thanks.

-Cory

Cor_man257......

Your motion looks smooth without any wasted movement but you need to get some giddy-up on the reload and final four shots. Your recoil control looks good enough so let it go man...it is only 7 yards.

I would engage speed-mode in dryfire practice at home. Put the timer on for 4 seconds. Complete the draw, reload and 4 shots in that time. Accuracy is not the goal. Get your subconcious used to the speed of the manipulations. When that is accomplished, then go into match mode (speed + accuracy). Subconcious handles the speed and your conscious handles the accuracy. If you do it right you will easily make the time and it will feel slow.

Best of luck.
    Last edited by AsianJedi; 02-26-2017 at 06:37 PM.
    FAST Coin Owner #15
    Paper M in Carry Optics #A96020
    Point 1 Tactics Elite Standards Coin #4

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    I already posted these in my journal, but wanted to post them here. I think more folks look at this thread and I'm looking for as much feed back as I can.

FAST: 6.67s (Clean)
    1.85 draw/.10/2.92 reload/2.52/.45/.40

FAST:9.34s (Clean) *TIME MALF?*
    1.78 draw/1.06/4.72 reload, tap&rack/.61/.59/.10/.48

FAST: 6.60s (Clean) *TIME MALF?*
    1.82 draw/.10/.72/.10/2.71/.38/.32/.10/.35

Some notes I've gotten so far:
    -Move faster to draw after beep.
    -Lean forward more!
    -Slightly more bend at elbows (honestly the way I hold feels natural and I like it. But this will at least get a try).
    -Reloads. If you watch the video it will be painfully obvious that I don't dry practice them enough. Heck, I even let my slide go early.

Anything you guys can help me do to improve? Besides more FASTs. I use them as a gauge, not a drill. Three at the start of each range visit. Thanks.

-Cory
    Good job stepping back/out with your right foot while holstering, I think that's a great practice.

More body weight forward. Keep your head and eyes facing forward, but get more of your upper body weight forward.

You could work on moving the hands faster on the draw - I like the overall draw structure you have, so don't mess that up. Keep doing it the same way, just make your hands go faster. It looks like you start out pretty well, then get slower once you have master grip on the gun and are lifting it, joining hands, and driving it out. That's the part where I think you have a lot of room.

Ditto hand speed on the reload.

More aggressive accurate shooting is going to come from improvement in three main areas: grip/stance/platform, vision/sights, and trigger. More body weight forward (grip/stance/platform area) looks like some low hanging fruit.

You are coming right along, nice job!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List