Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: when to replace EDC ammo

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I have seen multiple 5.56 mm rounds fail to fire after being re-chambered and having the primer compound damaged....
    Thank you for that post DocGKR. Just came from the range and had my first ever HST failure to fire. Dead primer. I snapped on it 3 times. Its been in carry rotation between number one in the chamber and/or number one in the magazine for 3 years. The thread had spooked me enough to shoot up some older carry ammo just to see what would happen. I expected everything to be fine. It was not. The only thing unusual about the first two rounds in my carry rotation is that they have been rechambered at least 50 or more times. You can see the impact area on the high spot on the brass from where its been chambered so many times. Now I'm a believer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3259
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by KeithH; 11-21-2018 at 06:35 PM.

Yup...glad you did not find out the stupidity of re-chambering the hard way.

Not sure why folks are so against following the sound advice of NOT re-chambering defensive ammo. Even if someone cleared their pistol once a week for a year, and reloaded with a fresh, unused cartridge, that would only be one box of ammo in extra cost per year.....

More realistically, load your carry/duty pistol, put it in the holster. At the end of each day, leave the pistol in the holster, take the still holstered pistol and lock it up. Put it on the next day and repeat. There is virtually no reason to be clearing pistols each day....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Not sure why folks are so against following the sound advice of NOT re-chambering defensive ammo. Even if someone cleared their pistol once a week for a year, and reloaded with a fresh, unused cartridge, that would only be one box of ammo in extra cost per year.....

More realistically, load your carry/duty pistol, put it in the holster. At the end of each day, leave the pistol in the holster, take the still holstered pistol and lock it up. Put it on the next day and repeat. There is virtually no reason to be clearing pistols each day....
    You're issued ammunition and have to use issued ammunition, and don't have a second copy for dry fire practice yet.

Armory guns.

"Car carry condition" long guns.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

^^^This^^^ I rarely unload my guns. Round goes in and stays in until it’s shot. When the pistol isn’t on me it’s locked up. When I go to the range I drop the mag and shoot the chambered round.

What about ammunition that was purchased some time ago but has not been used? I bought a case of hst in 2015 that I've been slowly working through. I would think that would still be fine, right? I switch out the ammo in my carry guns every 6 months or so.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have seen multiple 5.56 mm rounds fail to fire after being re-chambered and having the primer compound damaged....
    Back in the day, we used to hand out rifles and magazines at the beginning of the shift and return them at the end (thankfully we had a purchase-your-own rifle policy put in to place later).

I bought my own magazines due to this exact issue. Once I went through and inspected all of the top rounds in the issued magazines. All had visibly dented primers. I was able to spin the bullet in the cartridge in all of them, and a with a few of them I was able to pull out with my fingers using minimal effort.

Of course I told everyone who would listen, and the responses were mostly yawns.

Site Supporter

Doc, thanks for bringing some needed experience and confirmation of this ^^^ to the thread. What you recommend here is exactly what I've been doing since....forever. Not because I'm brilliant, more likely because I'm lazy. Very much appreciated!

VT1032--as long as the ammo was stored in reasonable conditions, you should be fine. I've seen folks in the USG issued duty ammo for post 9/11 combat takss which was made 20-30 years earlier and it works just fine. We have tested a lot of historical ammo over the years; it is rare that it does not go bang, even when 100+ years old, such as a lot of the pre-WWI .30-06 and .45 Auto ammo we tested....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    You're issued ammunition and have to use issued ammunition, and don't have a second copy for dry fire practice yet.

Armory guns.

"Car carry condition" long guns.
    One of the ways we get around this with pool weapons is simply to keep them loaded 24/7/365. When not in use, they simply get bagged up and stacked in a safe, both rifles and pistols. This is also done to prevent NDs during administrative handling.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithH View Post
    Thank you for that post DocGKR. Just came from the range and had my first ever HST failure to fire. Dead primer. I snapped on it 3 times. Its been in carry rotation between number one in the chamber and/or number one in the magazine for 3 years. The thread had spooked me enough to shoot up some older carry ammo just to see what would happen. I expected everything to be fine. It was not. The only thing unusual about the first two rounds in my carry rotation is that they have been rechambered at least 50 or more times. You can see the impact area on the high spot on the brass from where its been chambered so many times. Now I'm a believer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3259
    I had an old leftover .40 Ranger SXT round fail to ignite after three strikes two weeks ago. First time I have experienced this with duty ammo. That entire batch will be shot up in the coming months. Glad I have fresh Ranger T for carry.

User Tag List