Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: when to replace EDC ammo

Since I don't get to the range as much as I should, my carry ammo gets changed every time I go to the range (~quarterly). I start range trips, by going cold right out of the holster to running a Bill Drill or FAST a few times. Once the ammo in my gun and the ammo in my spare magazine(s) is depleted. I switch over to other drills and practice ammo.

At the end, I load fresh carry ammo from my same lot numbered stash - or if I have to switch to a new lot number (same ammo type, e.g., 147-grain HST) I'll fire a random selection of 5-rounds from each box in the new lot number to confirm nothing seems odd and load the remaining ammo in my gun and spare mag(s). I, honestly, think that this last step is overkill, but it makes my OCD happy, so I do it. I try to buy five boxes of carry ammo at a time from the same lot number.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 07-10-2018 at 02:45 PM.

We get new duty ammo issued every two years. The head firearms guy was interested in why I was so interested in what grain weight Gold Dot he was giving me....
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Banned
    I change out my ammunition every year on January 1st. I'm considering storing the old ammunition for a JIC

We qual with the duty ammo in our mags in the fourth quarter and get new rounds issued afterwards.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    1x a year on my birthday.

Rifle ammo whenever the primers get dented. Pistol ammo for me is "before the rounds turn green or the rims get chewed up"
    Last edited by Peally; 07-11-2018 at 09:37 AM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I replace mine every 6-12 months, mostly due to impromptu range sessions. Contingency gear gets rotated less often. Keeping it in perspective, pistol carry ammo costs less than the magazine its carried in, a decent pizza, or a case of beer. There's no excuse to run the same rounds for extended periods.

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    We get new duty ammo issued every two years. The head firearms guy was interested in why I was so interested in what grain weight Gold Dot he was giving me....
    For issued or approved loads, I send out skus, vendor, and price info for folks that want more of their own.

Life hack: When in doubt about what your employer or local LE agency is fielding, go to the meeting records of the controlling government council/board and look at the claims list. Look for an ammo related line item, and request the associated invoice.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post
    it does not stay in the car overnight (if goes where I go), but it can be exposed to heat or cold while I am parked
    Good question, for ammo that is mostly maintained in a temperature controlled environment in loaded magazines, I am not so concerned about age, I don't see how the loaded magazine in my bedside table or the safe, or that follows me around in temperature controlled environments is that much harder on the ammo than staying in the original box that is nearby on the shelf. I have looked for the brass shaving or cutting phenomenon that some report magazines causing in magazines that are jostled around, and never found any. For that ammo, I only concern myself with the rounds that have been chambered because of potential setback and primer related stress, and those rounds that have been chambered go into the practice jar after being chambered once, out of an abundance of caution.

I do store loaded spare mags in the vehicle, and I try to change that ammo twice a year and push it into the practice bin because of the temperature variations. However after about 20 years of doing that, I have never had a single round of the factory carry ammo from that practice bin generate a problem when used.

My best "old ammo" story, a friend I used to shoot NRA High Power with, once picked up two full and one partial boxes of genuine Frankford Arsenal cupro nickel GI .45 ACP ball dated 1918. It came from an estate sale and appeared to have been stored in a closet or some similar environment because the cardboard boxes were still in very good shape, no corrosion on the cases. However you can guarantee it was exposed to heat and humidity extremes for many decades since air conditioning did not arrive in Alabama in any meaningful way until the late 50's and the 60's. Just because we had to know, we loaded up 7 rounds from the partial box and fired them out of a government model. The chrono said 750 fps average as I recall and all 7 rounds grouped nicely.

I replaced mine today at my annual LEOSA qualification. Makes it pretty pretty easy to remember.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I replace all ammo that is actually carried 1x/year. Have a small stash of properly stored .38 Winchester service 158 grain LHP left over from our revolver days in the '80s that I still carry in my older .38 guns. Intend to order the Remington version as soon as it is available again.

User Tag List