Thread: Rifle round performance after soft armor

Rifle round performance after soft armor

So far, I've only seen discussion of penetration of soft body armor as binary, it either went through or didn't. But has anyone put a chronograph on the other side of a IIIA vest to see what the residual velocity is of rifle rounds? Seems like 123grains at 900fps would be a very different animal than the same round at 2000fps. Likewise, 55gr or 147gr bullets would be much less devastating if they lost 1000fps or something. Am I totally off base?
    Thanks,
    Jon

Are you inquiring about the blunt trauma potential?

If so, yeah that's measured to some degree and has also been studied. I have no idea where it is these days, but there's a paper floating around about blunt trauma behind armor suffered by Russian troops during the 1980s Afghanistan War and how a significant number of troops perished within 3 days of blunt trauma sustained from their armor stopping a round. Turns out they didn't really get definitive care until, on average, 3 days medical evacuation and they were dying from hemothoraces in the mean time.

Best practice is to wear soft armor backers even with stand-alone rated plates, if possible, as it lessens the blunt trauma....but I don't think there's any value assigned more specific than such.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List