Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Multi optic vs direct milled red dot optics

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    I know it's wishful thinking, but an industry standard for a slide mounted optic "footprint," would be ideal.
    Or an optic that's integral to the slide.. Keep your eyes open, there are whispers...

FYI I have a Shield RMS on and G19 MOS and I am using the Shield/Jpoint mounting plate. When I installed the mounting plate it was a very tight fit in the slide cuts to the point I gave it a couple of taps with a hammer to make sure it was completely seated. It's really wedged in there and I don't think there is any chance of back and forth movement so the only stress on the screws should be up and down if there is any.

I have a little less than 1000 rounds through the setup but most of it was either Winchester 124 NATO or HST 124 +P. So far so good.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 07-24-2018 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
    Or an optic that's integral to the slide.. Keep your eyes open, there are whispers...
    That seems like a dumb idea. If the optic breaks then you'd have to replace the whole slide too, not just the sight.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    That seems like a dumb idea. If the optic breaks then you'd have to replace the whole slide too, not just the sight.
    If it's integral the odds of it breaking are less I'd think? You wouldn't have to worry about all these mounting issues either.. guess we'll see

Just saw this.

Name:  2C22DFE5-D568-4F33-9354-EC0A8C2224D5.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  50.5 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by JPedersen View Post
    No thread drift intended here ... but a quick question: it would seem that the stationary mounting systems (cf. ALG 6 second) would solve a few of these potential problems while maintaining flexibility- yet it seems like this approach is not being developed the same way as the slide mounting options; why is that? Are there shortcomings other than the form factor / size factor ? It would seem a well executed stationary mount would not beat up the optic, maintain flexibility and be scaled / placed with new MRDS developments. What am I missing ?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    If USPSA was not a concern AND they ever got one that wasnt bulky, I think a frame mounted optic would do more than just fix this (optic beating) issue. I think there would be a few advantages. I dare say - it is actually the "right" way to do it (if there is any "right" way to bolt electronics on a handgun)
    Last edited by JATA; 07-29-2018 at 09:49 AM.
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by JATA View Post
    If USPSA was not a concern AND they ever got one that wasnt bulky, I think a frame mounted optic would do more than just fix this (optic beating) issue. I think there would be a few advantages. I dare say - it is actually the "right" way to do it (if there is any "right" way to bolt electronics on a handgun)
    That is what I had been thinking as well. When I was younger (12 years old... about 28 years ago!) And I started shooting in a NRA 22lr Bullseye league there were many people who used a frame mounted optic. Recoil mitigation was obviously not a concern but I will say in the "rapid fire" portion the dot was quick to acquire. I always chalked it up to the fact it was a 22... I would love to see more development in the frame mounted arena as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JPedersen View Post
    That is what I had been thinking as well. When I was younger (12 years old... about 28 years ago!) And I started shooting in a NRA 22lr Bullseye league there were many people who used a frame mounted optic. Recoil mitigation was obviously not a concern but I will say in the "rapid fire" portion the dot was quick to acquire. I always chalked it up to the fact it was a 22... I would love to see more development in the frame mounted arena as well.

Yea, we're from the same era. When I first saw RMR's on a pistol, I had a flashback to the game guns of the 80's and thought how cool it was that what had started out (all those years ago) as a completely impractical, competition only, trinket had now morphed into actual equipment. Kinda like DVD's - some of us remember the BIG laser disks that fizzled out only to return in a corrected form.

Yea, I'm rockin direct mounted (milled drilled) RMR, but hoping and waiting for a usable frame mounted option that involves either no modification OR a one time mod that allows for changes later. Kind of a - pop off your RMR, throw on your DP type deal.

It's coming, might be awhile, but I doubt we are the only two people that are wanting it.
    Last edited by JATA; 07-29-2018 at 11:02 AM.
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty" ~ Thomas Jefferson

I posted this elsewhere, but a direct mount gets the dot quite a bit lower. Two different optics, but this illustrates my point.

Name:  9271A7CE-0F12-460C-9980-099854979553.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  48.8 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

This new design was posted here a while back...maybe part of the answer?

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-For-Bore-Axis

User Tag List