Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Risen from the Dead: S&W 19-4 Combat Magnum 2.5"

Site Supporter
    Did you have the lock work done in NP3?

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    Did you have the lock work done in NP3?
    I did the "all internals" option, but to be honest I haven't opened her up and I'm not sure if there's certain parts that for some reason are not coated. I'm inclined to believe all contact surfaces were treated, because just with the 50 rounds + dry firing I've done today the trigger has smoothed out noticeably, which sounds about right for NP3. It's at least as good as my department K-frame, if not nicer.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Outstanding job! These projects do not make any sense financially, but you get huge points for making something special.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Nicely done!

-Rainman

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I just got this back from Robar and put my initial 50 rounds through it. The inspiration for this project was that I purchased a retired service revolver from my agency, a S&W 19-5 2.5". I absolutely fell in love with it and rediscovered why it was such a mistake for me to let go of my last revolver, a 4" 19-4. I really had a hankering for a 2.5-3" Model 19 roundbutt, but I should've just kept the 4" 19. Anyways, I figured I can't shoot my ex-department gun a whole lot because (in my eyes) it's a historical piece in near perfect shape and there's only a few hundred out there....and I have a lot of 38 to put through a gun, and can get more from work; so that's a perfect justification to buy another shooter-grade Combat Magnum.

Attachment 27873

Attachment 27874

I picked this up from a cop shop in Long Island last year.....I'm pretty sure it was left on some cop's boat in Montauk for 20 years. I figured I could get a gunsmith special and build it out to my preferences, instead of shooting up/demolishing a good condition 2.5" Combat Magnum. At the same time, I'd be rescuing from the dead a gunsmith special. Given 2.5" Combat Magnums are becoming more and more expensive, this seemed like a good idea. This model was a high-polish nickel finish, completely corroded.

I sent it off to Robar for CPR and cardioversion. They had to replace a lot of the lockwork and get it back in timing, as well as hours of bead blasting. I wanted a brand new sight setup, so I had them lop off the original sight ramp and install Bowen Rough-Country DX sights (at the recommendation of P-F.com hive) with a red fiber optic insert. The pitting was deep enough that they weren't sure if they could properly apply NP3 without defects, so we settled on matte black Roguard as a backup. It turns out they could apply the NP3 in the end, so we went with that. You can see all the imperfections from surface damage, but I wanted NP3 regardless because 1) I wanted a matte/satin stainless/HC/gunmetal gray sort of finish for aesthetics, and 2) I wanted something that would give this gun the best chance at living out its life as a range beater.

The wife demands I put wooden grips on it. Easiest excuse to drop money on Karl Nills that I've ever heard, so I'll put that order in tonight. Otherwise, I present to you:

Attachment 27875

Attachment 27876
    You turned a sow’s ear into a silk purse for sure.
    This is a very purposeful looking sixgun.
    How long was the turnaround and if you don’t mind, the ballpark cost?
    I have a finish abused but mechanically decent 3” M29 Lew Horton that needs a similar facelift.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 07-09-2018 at 04:58 AM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    That is a very nice save!
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    You turned a sow’s ear into a silk purse for sure.
    This is a very purposeful looking sixgun.
    How long was the turnaround and if you don’t mind, the ballpark cost?
    I have a finish abused but mechanically decent 3” M29 Lew Horton that needs a similar facelift.
    Just under a grand for all the work done. Cleaning/inspection, action work and parts replacement, machining the new sight base, purchase and installation of new sights, bead blasting for an hour, $330 for the whole gun refnish, and test fire/ammo.

So yours would likely be 1/3 the cost of mine. Turnaround was about 6 months.
    Last edited by TGS; 07-09-2018 at 06:57 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Just under a grand for all the work done. Cleaning/inspection, action work and parts replacement, machining the new sight base, purchase and installation of new sights, bead blasting for an hour, $330 for the whole gun refnish, and test fire/ammo.

So yours would likely be 1/3 the cost of mine. Turnaround was about 6 months.
    Thank you. Considering that after I sell the pristine N frame RB combat stocks that came on it, I will have essentially no money in the gun. I am considering a gold bead front versus the stock red ramp which is useless for my eyes. This would certainly be a worthwhile project.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    That turned out nice.

My first handgun was a 2.5" Model 19. I sometimes think about buying one for nostalgia, but the cost of a nice one is too much just for nostalgia.
    Same here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice. Congratulations.

I love those older K-Frame snubbies. My first personally-owned handgun was a 2.5" Model 19, circa 1992-ish. I wish I still had it, but I sold i when I moved overseas.

Enjoy it.

User Tag List