Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Risen from the Dead: S&W 19-4 Combat Magnum 2.5"

Risen from the Dead: S&W 19-4 Combat Magnum 2.5"

I just got this back from Robar and put my initial 50 rounds through it. The inspiration for this project was that I purchased a retired service revolver from my agency, a S&W 19-5 2.5". I absolutely fell in love with it and rediscovered why it was such a mistake for me to let go of my last revolver, a 4" 19-4. I really had a hankering for a 2.5-3" Model 19 roundbutt, but I should've just kept the 4" 19. Anyways, I figured I can't shoot my ex-department gun a whole lot because (in my eyes) it's a historical piece in near perfect shape and there's only a few hundred out there....and I have a lot of 38 to put through a gun, and can get more from work; so that's a perfect justification to buy another shooter-grade Combat Magnum.

Name:  pix229178358.jpg
Views: 2318
Size:  69.6 KB

Name:  pix323481718.jpg
Views: 1981
Size:  45.4 KB

I picked this up from a cop shop in Long Island last year.....I'm pretty sure it was left on some cop's boat in Montauk for 20 years. I figured I could get a gunsmith special and build it out to my preferences, instead of shooting up/demolishing a good condition 2.5" Combat Magnum. At the same time, I'd be rescuing from the dead a gunsmith special. Given 2.5" Combat Magnums are becoming more and more expensive, this seemed like a good idea. This model was a high-polish nickel finish, completely corroded.

I sent it off to Robar for CPR and cardioversion. They had to replace a lot of the lockwork and get it back in timing, as well as hours of bead blasting. I wanted a brand new sight setup, so I had them lop off the original sight ramp and install Bowen Rough-Country DX sights (at the recommendation of P-F.com hive) with a red fiber optic insert. The pitting was deep enough that they weren't sure if they could properly apply NP3 without defects, so we settled on matte black Roguard as a backup. It turns out they could apply the NP3 in the end, so we went with that. You can see all the imperfections from surface damage, but I wanted NP3 regardless because 1) I wanted a matte/satin stainless/HC/gunmetal gray sort of finish for aesthetics, and 2) I wanted something that would give this gun the best chance at living out its life as a range beater.

The wife demands I put wooden grips on it. Easiest excuse to drop money on Karl Nills that I've ever heard, so I'll put that order in tonight. Otherwise, I present to you:

Name:  IMG_8541.jpg
Views: 2042
Size:  68.9 KB

Name:  IMG_8542.jpg
Views: 2029
Size:  65.6 KB
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

That turned out nice.

My first handgun was a 2.5" Model 19. I sometimes think about buying one for nostalgia, but the cost of a nice one is too much just for nostalgia.

Outstanding. Well done.

Inspirational!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I just got this back from Robar and put my initial 50 rounds through it. The inspiration for this project was that I purchased a retired service revolver from my agency, a S&W 19-5 2.5". I absolutely fell in love with it and rediscovered why it was such a mistake for me to let go of my last revolver, a 4" 19-4. I really had a hankering for a 2.5-3" Model 19 roundbutt, but I should've just kept the 4" 19. Anyways, I figured I can't shoot my ex-department gun a whole lot because (in my eyes) it's a historical piece in near perfect shape and there's only a few hundred out there....and I have a lot of 38 to put through a gun, and can get more from work; so that's a perfect justification to buy another shooter-grade Combat Magnum.

Name:  pix229178358.jpg
Views: 2318
Size:  69.6 KB

Name:  pix323481718.jpg
Views: 1981
Size:  45.4 KB

I picked this up from a cop shop in Long Island last year.....I'm pretty sure it was left on some cop's boat in Montauk for 20 years. I figured I could get a gunsmith special and build it out to my preferences, instead of shooting up/demolishing a good condition 2.5" Combat Magnum. At the same time, I'd be rescuing from the dead a gunsmith special. Given 2.5" Combat Magnums are becoming more and more expensive, this seemed like a good idea. This model was a high-polish nickel finish, completely corroded.

I sent it off to Robar for CPR and cardioversion. They had to replace a lot of the lockwork and get it back in timing, as well as hours of bead blasting. I wanted a brand new sight setup, so I had them lop off the original sight ramp and install Bowen Rough-Country DX sights (at the recommendation of P-F.com hive) with a red fiber optic insert. The pitting was deep enough that they weren't sure if they could properly apply NP3 without defects, so we settled on matte black Roguard as a backup. It turns out they could apply the NP3 in the end, so we went with that. You can see all the imperfections from surface damage, but I wanted NP3 regardless because 1) I wanted a matte/satin stainless/HC/gunmetal gray sort of finish for aesthetics, and 2) I wanted something that would give this gun the best chance at living out its life as a range beater.

The wife demands I put wooden grips on it. Easiest excuse to drop money on Karl Nills that I've ever heard, so I'll put that order in tonight. Otherwise, I present to you:

Name:  IMG_8541.jpg
Views: 2042
Size:  68.9 KB

Name:  IMG_8542.jpg
Views: 2029
Size:  65.6 KB

Sir, that is one fine looking revolver. Please update when you get the new grips.

Nicely done.

Every time a classic wheelgun is rescued from the scrapheap, an angel gets its wings. You have done A Good Thing.

I have a lovely 19-3 2.5", and truly enjoy taking it to the range. I ended up with VZ grips on mine, they just are a perfect fit. Those old Pachmayrs feel good as well.

Well done on the restoration. The 2.5 inch Model 15 round butt is one of the most outstanding revolvers ever made. They are incredibly accurate, well balanced, and as you have restored it--a piece of art (as was the original).

Site Supporter
    Very nice.

Is that the Bowen rear sight as well ?

Thanks a lot for all the kind words, guys. Hopefully you're all scanning Gunbroker tonight looking for your own project gun!

.....or snagging $350 mint K-frames like 03RN.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Those old Pachmayrs feel good as well.
    The first time I ever shot a K-frame with the original panels was today....and man, now I understand why wheelgun guys make such a big deal out of their stocks. I had no idea what I had taken for granted by shooting Pachys, having never shot the standard panels. The gain in trigger control with the Pachys was insane, not to mention more consistent positioning of the hand for recoil control and comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Very nice.

Is that the Bowen rear sight as well ?
    You bet.

It's the one with the white outline, like stock Glock sights. Not sure if I'm sold on that particular feature, seems a little funky to me at this point.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List