Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick a couple new revolvers

Help me pick a couple new revolvers

So I've come down with smithitis. Ive had coltaids and rugerhea in in the past and they usually pass after a few more additions. I'm trying to be a little more organized and have 3 that I think I need.

1. A beater aiwb gun. My new 19-3 is going to take this spot if I can't find another. I'm thinking a m10 or m64 with standard barrel in the jmcustom aiwbholster I am waiting on. A shorter barrel is a possibility but the holster is for a 4". A m66 is also very tempting. I really like the new 2.75" gun but it's a lot more than I want to spend right now. I see 2.5" no lock guns around $500 which is still more than I want to spend on a gun that's going to be covered in sweat all the time.

2. A push present for my wife. She's due at the end of August and has been eyeing the new 19. I'm thinking either a M15 or m10/m64 heavy barrel. Her EDC is a sheild/tlr6 and her range gun is a g19/rmr. She's planning on quitting her full time job and just picking up some more shifts at the range we work at part time for socializing and extra money so I might add a nice El passo saddlery Tom Threepersons holster and belt for her to carry there and while backpacking.

3. The kid's. I kinda want to get a 0 birthday present for Charlie. I started shooting a H&R 999 as a kid after my grandfather died and left it to me. I have a single six already but am unsure what I should do.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    So I've come down with smithitis. Ive had coltaids and rugerhea in in the past and they usually pass after a few more additions. I'm trying to be a little more organized and have 3 that I think I need.

1. A beater aiwb gun. My new 19-3 is going to take this spot if I can't find another. I'm thinking a m10 or m64 with standard barrel in the jmcustom aiwbholster I am waiting on. A shorter barrel is a possibility but the holster is for a 4". A m66 is also very tempting. I really like the new 2.75" gun but it's a lot more than I want to spend right now. I see 2.5" no lock guns around $500 which is still more than I want to spend on a gun that's going to be covered in sweat all the time.

2. A push present for my wife. She's due at the end of August and has been eyeing the new 19. I'm thinking either a M15 or m10/m64 heavy barrel. Her EDC is a sheild/tlr6 and her range gun is a g19/rmr. She's planning on quitting her full time job and just picking up some more shifts at the range we work at part time for socializing and extra money so I might add a nice El passo saddlery Tom Threepersons holster and belt for her to carry there and while backpacking.

3. The kid's. I kinda want to get a 0 birthday present for Charlie. I started shooting a H&R 999 as a kid after my grandfather died and left it to me. I have a single six already but am unsure what I should do.

What do you think?
    1. 4" tapered-barrel no-lock M-64 with a round butt and a bobbed hammer.
    2. Same as #1 unless she's expressed a preference for something else. Show her both and tell her to pick the nicer of the two, which she'll do anyway. Good call on the leather.
    3. Model 35, which is basically a square-butt M-34 with a 6" barrel. Most people have never heard of them. Good for small hands. Upgrade to a late-50's vintage K-22 once his hands get bigger.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 07-08-2018 at 02:38 PM.
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

The only way that my opinion differs from brother Okie John is that I prefer the bobbed hammer DAO 64 with the 4" heavy barrel. It works great in my JMCK "George" AIWB. I mean, since you already have a single-six for the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

2. A push present for my wife. She's due at the end of August and has been eyeing the new 19. so I might add a nice El passo saddlery Tom Threepersons holster and belt for her to carry there and while backpacking.

What do you think?
    You might as well just give the 19 to your wife and save time. You'll be needing to find another K-Frame for yourself. Just don't get one nicer than the 19 or you will lose both. LOL

I agree that a J-Frame kit gun is correct for the child.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

Help me pick a couple new revolvers

DAO model 64s still show up in wholesalers for decent prices (~$250). Model 15s are super and can be found in the low $300s.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 07-08-2018 at 04:08 PM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Single Six or Bearcat for the kid.

M15 would be sweet, but if she’s eyeing an M19, that’s what you should really get her.

Model 64 HB in 4" with Buffalo Bore LSWCHPGC 158 +Ps Solve all sorts of two legged predator problems for you. Kit gun with a 4 or 6 inch barrel for the bambino. And a decent Model 15 to fill out the plan. I would bob the hammer and DAO the 64 and leave both action types available on the other two.

I've shot a lot of the Buffalo Bore 20A/20 load described above and it is accurate and there's no fudging on the velocity numbers. Spendy up front but worth every penny if you ever need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    The only way that my opinion differs from brother Okie John is that I prefer the bobbed hammer DAO 64 with the 4" heavy barrel. It works great in my JMCK "George" AIWB. I mean, since you already have a single-six for the kid.
    With a heavy barrel, I'd go M-65 (357 Magnum) with a bobbed hammer and a round butt, which would be perfect for AIWB.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

You might want to look into a Model 63 (4" stainless kit gun) for the kiddo. Between that and the Single Six, he'll have 2 revolvers that should last through his grandkids...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Thanks all.

My reasoning for the standard barrel for #1 is to save a couple ounces (what is the weight savings btw) and I find the front sight a little easier to pic up than with heavy barrel guns when shooting from the holster. The only standard m64 guns I'm finding are square butts. Is it possible to do a little file work to match the round butt profile?

The reasoning for a heavy barrel for the wife is to cut down on recoil when shooting.

User Tag List