Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another example of Open Carry gone awry

I'd like to point out you're sitting here bashing open carry as if someone carrying concealed couldn't have their gun stolen by an armed robber.

You all need to remind yourselves that a gun isn't a magic talisman that wards off evil and that it's impossible to maintain awareness all the time while out and about.

Quote Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
    I'd like to point out you're sitting here bashing open carry as if someone carrying concealed couldn't have their gun stolen by an armed robber.

You all need to remind yourselves that a gun isn't a magic talisman that wards off evil and that it's impossible to maintain awareness all the time while out and about.
    We are discussing the fact that a readily visible weapon made theft easy. Do you see the correlation between that and OC?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    We are discussing the fact that a readily visible weapon made theft easy. Do you see the correlation between that and OC?
    Not to mention the fact that open carry advocates are constantly blabbering on about what a great "crime deterrent" it is.
    "A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

This is an old video and if I remember correctly this was the second time the open carrier was robbed.

The first time was at knife point and that is why he decided to carry the gun. Unfortunately the only legal way he could carry the gun at that time was unconcealed due to the Wisconsin laws at that time. He also bought too much into the idea that if you carry a gun then the bad guys will leave you alone.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post

I think you just named the reasons why many members here think OC in the 'burbs or city is a less than optimal situation....
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    {Devil's Advocate}Obviously LEO's should start carrying concealed to halt the plague of cops getting stuck up* for their heaters.{/Devil's Advocate}

*And I don't mean cops losing their guns in scuffles while they're trying to hook up a known goblin, but where they're actually followed and mugged for their gun. Because all the hip and happenin' tactical dudes on the internet have told me that if anyone so much as catches a glimpse of my gat, they'll track me and jack me for it the way they do with Ponch and Jon every day...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

{Devils Prosecutor} I've looked at a few cops and thought to myself "I could easily take him/her down and out".
    Every open carrier I've come across I've had those same thoughts about.{/Devils Prosecutor}
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    {Devils Prosecutor} I've looked at a few cops and thought to myself "I could easily take him/her down and out".
    Every open carrier I've come across I've had those same thoughts about.{/Devils Prosecutor}
    That's obviously because cops have much better firearms training than civilians.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Great point and I have a similar story. My martial arts instructor and I were out in Yellowstone Park about 5 years back and we were waiting for the rest of our crew to meet us after they checked out the trinket shop area.

I'm standing at the top of the stairs opposite my instructor and each of us is leaning our backs against our respective rails chatting.

A 5'2" female armored car personnel is making the midday rounds to all of the ATMs etc and she walks right between us w/o a care in the world-bag o' cash/coin in her weak hand and OC under her strong arm.

As soon as she passes b/w us, my instructor and eye just nod our heads. She was a goner if we were the sort. I would have had her gun and he would have had the money in 3 seconds flat.

All she had to say, IMO, before she got to the bottom step was say, "Excuse me sirs, could you step off the top of the stairs please, I need to get by." Our reaction would have given her a lot of information.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Directed at no one in particular.

We all know how, and where this thread can go. Please don't let it go there.

Now back to your regularly scheduled OC thread...
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

User Tag List