Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USPSA popper calibration rules suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Pretty easy to answer. Not meaning to be a dick here, but the popper fell and you got credit for the target. So what was supposed to happen?
    It was a level 1 match, but part of a "points series" leading up to the state section match, so people take it a bit more seriously than a "normal" level 1. I don't think you're being a dick at all, but from my view, since the popper didn't fall on the first good hit, my time on that stage was at least a second or two slower than it should have been, through no fault of my own. (I understand that the rules don't see it that way. Mostly I'm just salty about it and wanted to complain. )

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    The USPSA motto, popularized by Jeff Cooper, DVC stands for the latin “Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas” which translates to “accuracy, power, speed” – the basis of practical shooting.

Unfortunately Cooper didn’t forsee the 9mm winning the pistol caliber battles, and USPSA is too stubborn to change.

dVc
    Unless you up the power factor to 140, 9mm competition ammo is a bit off the 9 mm that is part of the “caliber battles”.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Unless you up the power factor to 140, 9mm competition ammo is a bit off the 9 mm that is part of the “caliber battles”.
    Meh. Most aren't running 125PF on the nose and the current USPSA / IPSC World champ is winning with factory ammo that I am pretty sure is > 138 PF.

The more I shoot the less I think small changes in PF are all that relevant.

From a different perspective, I suspect that even today's 165 PF "Major PF" is pretty anemic by Cooperian standards.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

9mm competition ammo is typically 130-135 PF. 140 isn't really much of a jump from there. In fact, it basically just means a slightly heavier bullet going the same speed. (A 135 gr bullet doing 1040 FPS is 140.4 PF, and a 125 gr bullet doing 1040 FPS is exactly 130 PF.)
    Last edited by olstyn; 07-08-2018 at 09:07 PM. Reason: punctuation

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    Unless it's really windy I try and set poppers as light as they possibly can be without falling over. As your squad is resetting steel they should be checking to see that poppers are light and adjusting as needed. You can still get bit once in awhile by a popper with a mechanical issue, but there is no rule that a popper has to be set to remain standing at some power factor.

At majors the RO's may or may not object to the competitors adjusting poppers, but if you are resetting and a popper is not falling over to a finger tap I'd mention it them and see if they or you can adjust.

The way cables hang can cause a lot of activator issues.

A lot of popperf'ing is the result of your squadmates, not the rules or the RO's.
    Feel free to politely ask, but don't be surprised if they tell you no. In my limited experience, I've never seen an RO/CRO allow a competitor to adjust a popper at a major.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Meh. Most aren't running 125PF on the nose and the current USPSA / IPSC World champ is winning with factory ammo that I am pretty sure is > 138 PF.

The more I shoot the less I think small changes in PF are all that relevant.

From a different perspective, I suspect that even today's 165 PF "Major PF" is pretty anemic by Cooperian standards.
    I shoot with someone who has a national USPSA tittle, and several IDPA titles, and he runs it close to the cuff, like 128.5. I personally feel a difference between 130 and 140 PF, all other things being equal. Then again, age and arthritis plays a role in that. I’m sure the Dwayne Johnson types wouldn’t notice.

I’ve been shooting USPSA for 26 years. I remember 175 power factor and no divisions. I still remember my chrono velocity at the 1997 Nationals, 1590!
    Last edited by Bucky; 07-09-2018 at 05:21 AM.

I still remember my chrono velocity at the 1997 Nationals, 1590!
    Wow, even assuming 115 grain bullets, that's nearly 183 PF. That must have been pretty sporty to shoot.

Feel free to politely ask, but don't be surprised if they tell you no. In my limited experience, I've never seen an RO/CRO allow a competitor to adjust a popper at a major.
    I was on a squad at single stack nationals that had them switch a popper out, but it was after repeated failures. I don't think they should let a competitor adjust them at a major, but if you tell them it's heavy they should look. Really they should be checking on it themselves throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Wow, even assuming 115 grain bullets, that's nearly 183 PF. That must have been pretty sporty to shoot.
    Yes, 115 grain bullets out of a 9x21. I was closer to 180 power factor at home (major was 175 at the time). Different chrono, different altitude etc (not sure how that works, just that it has an effect).

That being said, although it made quite a crack, it shot really flat with a 7 port compensator.

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    I was on a squad at single stack nationals that had them switch a popper out, but it was after repeated failures. I don't think they should let a competitor adjust them at a major, but if you tell them it's heavy they should look. Really they should be checking on it themselves throughout the day.
    That happened as well the and only time I ever shot SS Nats as well. Weird, right?

User Tag List