Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI 38-40 rifle info, Modern rifles/pistols

RFI 38-40 rifle info, Modern rifles/pistols

My maternal grandfather, Victor, had a Colt Peacemaker in 38-40 that has been passed down to my brother and I.

Recently, I have been loading trapdoor loads for my 45-70 (see future updates in the "Rifle shooting with my neighbor" thread) using "Trailboss" powder and I figured that it would be a good powder for my Grandfather's gun.

My grandfather was no gunslinger, he was a generous, church going, cotton farmer although he would kick all challengers at dominos. He mentioned that he used to tuck the gun into his belt when he paid the farm hands on Friday.

I'm anxious to work up some loads for my grandfather's gun using "Trailboss" but I would also like to find a modern lever action rifle to load for.

I see old, high priced Winchester rifles and modern reproductions guns from Turner and Pedersali for crazy high collector prices. Are there any modern manufacturers producing 38-40 rifle or pistols these days?

@Malamute
    Last edited by gringop; 07-07-2018 at 10:38 PM.
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Site Supporter
    Chiappa makes a 92 clone in 38-40

https://www.chiappafirearms.com/p/id...A.-Carbine.php

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

Tis true, "MSRP: $ 1,235.00 "

"Sorry Victor, your, pistol is just too esoteric, gonna have to stick with the Win94 45LC. It kilt my first deer, even after falling off of my motorcycle on the way into the deer lease. (But now I have a 45-70, any Centex Elk leases?)

Seriously, any other info on 38-40 rifles is greatly appreciated .

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Site Supporter
    Wife’s aunt inherited a .41 Colt SAA. At least they still make brass and ammo for the .38-40.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Wife’s aunt inherited a .41 Colt SAA. At least they still make brass and ammo for the .38-40.
    https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-...41-Colt-Brass/
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Sorry, I don't know of a cheap .38-40. It was introduced by Winchester and offered by them, Marlin, Colt, and I think Remington, all name brands, all relatively expensive for their day and age; "collector's items" now. Reproductions of same are still rather high priced. People who want "popular priced" lever actions are buying .357, .44 Magnum (even .44 WCF) and .45 Colt. I recently saw a picture of a S&W Highway Patrolman that had been converted to .38-40 for a real enthusiast. Bet he paid the fare.
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 07-08-2018 at 09:13 AM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

In the middle 1990s, Ruger made a run of .38-40/10mm dual-cylinder Blackhawks for a now-defunct distributor called Buckeye Sports of Canton, OH. That is the last modern .38-40 revolver I remember.

At the time, the guns did not sell even though CAS was popular. I bought my examples for $300 in the late 1990s. They are now collectible, partially due to the caliber offerings and partially due to the buckeye engraved on the top strap. The same company also had a run of .32-20/.32 H&R Magnum and .44-40/.44 Magnum Blackhawks made. The latter is the rarest.

Site Supporter
    Wow! If I do this, I’m going to have to warn them with stern words not to discard or let fall to the ground a single piece of that brass.

I cant add much. There arent any cheap ways I know of to get a 38-40 rifle unless you just luck into a deal somehow. There have been some Italian Winchester copies besides the Rossi mentioned, none of the Italian guns are cheap, but generally fairly well made. A used Uberti 1866 or 1873 in 38-40 may turn up if you keep your eyes open, but you are still talking about real money. Id just get a load worked out, shoot the gun, and enjoy the family history of it.

I have no experience with trailboss powder, so cant offer any useful information about it. The cowboy action forums likely have usable info.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I guess my plan going forward is per Malamute's advice. We are going to shoot the pistol with some already acquired factory ammo to confirm function. If it works OK, 100 count of Starline brass and a Lee die set are around $60. We will gladly pay that to shoot Victor's gun again.

I'll keep an eye out for any bargains on 34-40 rifles (like I need another excuse to search the Internet for guns).

Note: Graffs and other retailers sell Starline brass in 100 count amounts so you don't need to buy 250 count brass directly from Starline. My press and my shoulder is quite happy with 100 rounds of 45-70 Starline brass.

Gringop

User Tag List