Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reference for combat/target sights and proper emloyment of each

Reference for combat/target sights and proper emloyment of each

Had a discussion during a reload/rehydrate break today. For those that know, please inform.

1. What are combat sights? How does one employ them properly?

2. What are target sights? How does one employ them properly?

3. How does one know whether he/she has combat/target sights?

4. What are some physical characteristics to use as a guide?

Name:  sightimages.jpg
Views: 1442
Size:  11.5 KB

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by EricG View Post
    Had a discussion during a reload/rehydrate break today. For those that know, please inform.

Thanks in advance!
    Zero your gun - RIGHT! - Zero your gun (unless it's an Hk!)

From there see what you need to see for your: target size, distance, and speed to achieve acceptable hits.

Definitions may vary from person to person so take with grain of salt. Target sights tend to be a narrow notch(.120-.130) with a narrow post(.90-.100). "Combat sights" tend to be wider in both notch(.135-.180) and in post(.115.-.140) to both be faster on target and easier to acquire under limited light conditions.
    Last edited by Artemas2; 07-07-2018 at 04:58 PM.

The terms sound a bit old, perhaps 80's vocabulary. But my understanding would be that:

Target sights are sights designed to work in the best possible way for target shooting on the range. They are designed to be used in range conditions only. Black front and rear, narrow rear sight notch would be some design features of target sights.

Combat sights are designed to be visible under the greatest amount of lightning conditions. These are sights designed to be used outside square range conditions. High visibility front sights, contrasting color elements on both front and rear sight, tritium inserts are often seen on combat sights.

How to use either: see what you need to see to get the hits that you need to get. With target shooting this would usually entail sharp focus on the front sight, ensuring equal height and equal light to a great degree. Combat sights, depends entirely on the shot you are taking.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Reference for combat/target sights and proper emloyment of each

I think they are the same, but “Combat Sights” sounds cooler.

Interested in the responses as I’m pretty new to shooting.
    Last edited by RJ; 07-08-2018 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Wag more bark less

“Combat sights” strike me as a term meant to convey they idea that the sights were designed for fighting. Which means they’re easy to see in a wide variety of situations.

“Target sights” strike me as a term meant to convey the idea that the sights were meant for precise aiming. Which means they probably have smaller dimensions and are either totally black or mostly black.

How does one use either? Easy. Equal Height, Equal Light. That’s how sights work. What sight picture you use is dependent on preference and how the sights are zero’d on the gun for the ammo you’re using.

The concept, IMHO, is a bit outdated. If you look around to what almost all of the top competitors as well as top tactical instructors for what they prefer on their pistols, you’ll find a trend. What’s that trend? Thin fiber optic front sight with a blacked out rear sight.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    The image you posted shows the various kind of "holds", as in "6 o' clock hold", which is image 1. Image 2 is often called "pumpkin on a post" and image 3 is a "cover the dot " hold. It demonstrates what a sight picture looks like with the various holds with the POI always being in the middle of the crosshairs. Most modern sights are type 2 or 3.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by EricG View Post

If I'm using my gun to fight, than whatever sights are on the gun are now my combat sights. I employ them properly by seeing what I need to see to make the hits I need to make.

If I'm participating in a range practice or training session or I'm competing then the sights on my gun are target sights. I employ them properly by seeing what I need to see of the sight picture to make the hits I need to make. Then I make excuses about how the sights suck or the trigger is jacked up or I didn't eat breakfast, and that's why I'm not shooting well.

Are people trying to kill me? Combat. Is there a guy with a timer, and an array of cardboard and/or steel targets? Target.

Whatever your eyes see best. It's going to be an individual thing, even more so than triggers or even pistol choice. Find the setup that allows you to not have to think too much about the sights, and devote most of your thought process to solving the problem whether it's a fight or a match.

Thanks in advance!

You're welcome!
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

Site Supporter
    My take is that “combat” sights are designed to be more rugged and easier to acquire quickly. In most cases this means fixed with a wider post and notch so as to allow a quicker acceptable sight picture. You have one zero and learn your holds.

Target sights are usually adjustable for windage/elevation to allow for adjustments to zero to account for ammunition and environmental factors. Notch and post are narrower to allow for a more refined sight picture that may require a little longer to acquire.

As for proper employment, that is subjective to the individual. I know many that feel that adjustable sights are too fragile for duty or “combat” use and recommend fixed sights for those applications. I have also taken classes from former SOF guys (Pat Mac for one) that had adjustable sights on their combat pistols in pretty rugged environments. In the end it is whatever you are most comfortable with in your circumstances.
    Polite Professional

Quote Originally Posted by PD Sgt. View Post
    My take is that “combat” sights are designed to be more rugged and easier to acquire quickly. In most cases this means fixed with a wider post and notch so as to allow a quicker acceptable sight picture. You have one zero and learn your holds.

Target sights are usually adjustable for windage/elevation to allow for adjustments to zero to account for ammunition and environmental factors. Notch and post are narrower to allow for a more refined sight picture that may require a little longer to acquire.
    That has always been my thoughts on differentiating between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by PD Sgt. View Post

As for proper employment, that is subjective to the individual. I know many that feel that adjustable sights are too fragile for duty or “combat” use and recommend fixed sights for those applications. I have also taken classes from former SOF guys (Pat Mac for one) that had adjustable sights on their combat pistols in pretty rugged environments. In the end it is whatever you are most comfortable with in your circumstances.
    This jives with the way terms were used farther back in the past. target sights started being offered clear back in the 1800s, such as the Colt Flat Top Target Single Action Army variant They were generally adjustable in some way, and more squared off in general outline. Later, target sights became square blade fronts with adjustable rears, some were eventually undercut to keep the blade totally black and in shade. So-called combat sights common with revolvers had ramped front blades with adjustable rears so they didnt snag on things when drawn and have a blob of leather on the front sight when drawn. The sharp edges of square blade target front sights can cut you if snagged on body parts.

All the S&W target sights I recall from the 50s onwards had 1/8" front blades, I dont recall specifics of rear notch size, and I dont think it was ever mentioned much, I believe they were fairly standard sizes, close or the same width as the front blade. Several old school shooters advocated adjustable 'target" sights on all defensive guns when available, from Ed McGivern on through Keith and many others. Fixed sights were simple, and somewhat sleek in comparison, but the variable aspects of different peoples hold, loads and such gave one the ability to put the POI exactly where you wanted it.

Use as seems appropriate. I tend to like adjustable sights, and not like square bladed "target" front sights much, having been cut a time or two. Ive filed undercut front sights to either square blades or ramped profile, as have some square blade fronts been filed to ramp shape.
    Last edited by Malamute; 07-08-2018 at 11:24 AM.

User Tag List