Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making an AR15 from soda cans

Site Supporter

Making an AR15 from soda cans

Making an AR15 from soda cans, complete build- Part 1: CASTING WOES! GunCraft101

Last edited by HCM; 07-07-2018 at 02:21 PM.

Ingenuity: 1
    Victim Disarmament Lobby: 0

I watched that whole series of videos a few weeks ago. It was really neat to watch the process, but it surely fell under "because it's cool and I can" not "because it's useful and/or cost effective."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I watched that whole series of videos a few weeks ago. It was really neat to watch the process, but it surely fell under "because it's cool and I can" not "because it's useful and/or cost effective."
    It’s not usesuful / cost effective in the current legal environment. Things change.

If the grabbers ever get the power they want again, rest assured, they're going to be coming for the OTC sale of barrels and bolts.

Receivers are easy, barrels and bolts not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It’s not usesuful / cost effective in the current legal environment. Things change.
    You're not wrong. Also, "because it's cool and I can" is still a perfectly acceptable reason for doing something.

Thanks for posting this, big time. I get a real kick out of craft-made firearms, as well as home-made guns made by professional or hobbyist machinists.

I especially liked the follow-up he did, making a brass AR10 receiver from spent casings. Using spent brass, I'd really like to see him build a lever action, falling block or rolling block receiver!

Here's another fun channel where a guy machines some fun 22 and 9mm carbines, although it doesn't really show the journey of machining the product like GunCraft101:
    ECCO Machine
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've always wanted to see a brass cannon made from cases the fabricator fired himself. Just because.

This thread gets to the real problem with banning guns. As long as it's possible to obtain, form and cut metal, it will be possible for skilled people to build firearms. To get rid of all the guns, you have to get rid of the industrial revolution. You have to end civilization, all the way.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

"Receivers are easy, barrels and bolts not so much."

Hobby machinist here, who has made a couple of guns.

A 20 inch .223 barrel that will shoot MOA: that's really, really hard. An AR bolt that would last 1000 rounds wouldn't be all that hard, but there are simpler guns that AR's.

But if you're talking clandestine manufacture by crooks, a 10 inch barrel 9MM open bolt full auto subgun - that's not really hard at all.

As an analogy, I took Chemistry 101, but I'm no chemist. If I decided to make meth, there would be a big FOOM!. But it's not true that you can't make meth at home; lots of people do.

If there was ever an environment where commercial manufacture of guns was outlawed, but crooks still wanted them, what I would expect is that black market manufacturers would emerge. Consider, perhaps, the owner of a small machine shop that's hard up - he's falling behind on the lease payments for his machinery, or he's snorting the profits, or whatever. He comes in on a Sunday with a thumb drive holding the CNC programs for gun parts. A few hours later he leaves with finished gun parts. The only evidence at that point is the chips waiting to be recycled. That's going to be really hard to stop.

There's a blog that catalogs improvised guns from around the world: https://homemadeguns.wordpress.com/ . They range from really crude to very polished. Scroll back through June and you'll see what I mean.

User Tag List