Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Know What REALLY Burns My Ass...?

Site Supporter
    I had a Surefire with a pocket clip in my back pocket. Something from my belt butt pressed it on. As I was driving, it was getting intensely hot. It was under a jacket. Hard to get at. Had to stop and save my butt. Minor burn. More heat from my wife about why you carry such crap on your belt, Commando-boy. Since then my EDC light has a button that is inside a ring, not out in open like the early Surefires. That one is now in the box of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I had a Surefire with a pocket clip in my back pocket. Something from my belt butt pressed it on. As I was driving, it was getting intensely hot. It was under a jacket. Hard to get at. Had to stop and save my butt. Minor burn. More heat from my wife about why you carry such crap on your belt, Commando-boy. Since then my EDC light has a button that is inside a ring, not out in open like the early Surefires. That one is now in the box of stuff.
    Back in 96 when I first got into LE I was on third shift and had to have good (for the time) lighting. I bought the requisite Streamlight rechargable duty flashlight (it was either that or the Mag lite rechargeable) on the recommendations of my fellow patrol officers who were senior to me. They also recommended the rechargeable Stinger as a back up light.

I, however, opted for an older Surefire 8X back when "Laser Products" was printed on the light also. I had nylon gear (third shift) and that 8X had a tail button as well as twist on.

I was riding shotgun in a Caprice Classic (that rounded off thing with the 350 in it) and my training officer asked if I "smelled something". I was having a hard enough time staying awake and remembering our call sign (305) but when he mentioned it, I did notice a burning odor.

Then, I noticed the pain because my trousers were almost at the flash point temp. lol

It actually melted my lens in that 8X but it was still serviceable. I used that light for many years but did run it with the top twisted just enough so the tail button wouldn't fire when I sat down in the PD car. I still do that today.......with my Fenix PD-35 TAC and it hasn't been an issue.

Cost of doing business when you carry EDC gear. Sometimes it bites you but it's still worth carrying.

Regards.
    Last edited by lwt16; 07-07-2018 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I had the same thing happen with one of my new sf lights. It got so hot it ruined the glass. SF took care of me but man was I shocked at how hot it got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Having worked in the plumbing trades every summer since I was 14, and then full time for over 20 years, I am familiar with minor burns (mostly from soldering). Yeah, they're no fun.

Another observation: there's more to making kydex holsters than just warming up a sheet of the stuff and forming it over a gun. What I have learned over the last 10 years (now that I can carry without restriction here in NH) are the advantages of a well-designed holster from an experienced maker. It's all those little not-so-obvious details that are eventually observed, sparking an appreciation of the purpose they serve.

The more I use JMCK holsters, the more I appreciate the functionality of all of those seemingly insignificant details.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    OWB for range, IWB for carry?
    There is some wisdom in that recommendation. I did a long range session last week with a new Gen 5 Glock 19 and did all the work from my standard EDC holster, an RCS Phantom with the overhooks (worn IWB). The pistol was shot several hundred rounds and the heat was significant on my hip when the gun was holstered. RCS stuff is excellent and it was a reminder that an OWB might be better for longish range sessions.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 07-09-2018 at 07:33 AM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

If the hot muzzle touched your skin that means your gun was pointed towards you (or close to you).

Disregard the need for a closed holster, and reevaluate the need for a holster that doesn't flag you.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    If the hot muzzle touched your skin that means your gun was pointed towards you (or close to you).

Disregard the need for a closed holster, and reevaluate the need for a holster that doesn't flag you.
    I’ve never seen a holster that doesn’t flag you at certain movements or positions. AIWB, strong side, drop leg, etc. at some point, a part of your leg is going to be in front of the muzzle

My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I’ve never seen a holster that doesn’t flag you at certain movements or positions. AIWB, strong side, drop leg, etc. at some point, a part of your leg is going to be in front of the muzzle

I should have clarified *that doesn't flag you upon holstering.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Having worked in the plumbing trades every summer since I was 14, and then full time for over 20 years, I am familiar with minor burns (mostly from soldering). Yeah, they're no fun.

Another observation: there's more to making kydex holsters than just warming up a sheet of the stuff and forming it over a gun. What I have learned over the last 10 years (now that I can carry without restriction here in NH) are the advantages of a well-designed holster from an experienced maker. It's all those little not-so-obvious details that are eventually observed, sparking an appreciation of the purpose they serve.

The more I use JMCK holsters, the more I appreciate the functionality of all of those seemingly insignificant details.
    Yup, like Concealed Carry Concepts adding leather backing to their kydex holsters to aid as a heat shield.

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    Yup, like Concealed Carry Concepts adding leather backing to their kydex holsters to aid as a heat shield.
    That's what I was going to say. I recall seeing Todd's holster from his M&P test

http://pistol-training.com/archives/349

User Tag List