Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Know What REALLY Burns My Ass...?

Know What REALLY Burns My Ass...?

...the hot muzzle of a pistol pressed against my starboard posterior.

It's a generations old family tradition to celebrate Independence Day by burning up several hundred rounds of various ammo types, from 22 LR to 45-70 and everything in between. This year's event wasn't as big as past years as I went alone. My father passed away some years ago, Uncle Sam has my sons off in other parts world and my wife had to work. I took along a couple of ARs, the Marlin 1895 in 45-70 and, of course, my recently acquired Sig P365.

No pistol has stirred up as much controversy as the P365 since the introduction of the first Glock. With the teething problems the diminutive Sig has had, it's no small wonder. It's the only pistol I took with me to the range as I wanted to give it a good workout to see how it holds up. So far, the little Sig has been trouble free during the 700 or so rounds I've put through it. I got an IWB kydex holster for it and was practicing drawing and firing it at a 10 inch steel plate at 25 yards (revealing that I need a lot of work on my trigger control). I ran several mags through the Sig, then re-holstered it.

Before we go any further, let me tell you about the holster. I ordered this particular IWB holster on the recommendation of a veteran police officer I've known all my life. It's well made, lightweight, holds the handguns securely and releases it cleanly. The one small detail I didn't like about it is that it's open at the muzzle. I prefer holsters that fold over the muzzle to help protect the muzzle from crapola. Being open bothered me without quite put a finger on why, but I figured I'd put it to use and give it a chance.

I slid the now quite warm Sig into the open ended holster worn at the 4 o'clock postion and- you guessed it- the hot muzzle branded my tender tucas. Painfully.

I jumped, yelped and got caught between mental gears where I had let go of the pistol upon reholstering and the need to draw it again to end the pain, complicated by my hopping and yelping while reciting the Four Rules of Safety over and over. The guys at the range found the whole affair highly entertaining, if not strange. My wife found the cheeky red brand cute.

Lessons Learned-
    -You won't know how a piece of gear actually works until you get out and use it
    -No more open muzzle holsters for me!
    -Above all, I'm grateful I didn't learn these lessons while carrying appendix inside the waistband
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

And where did you get that holster?

I have a JMCK belt holster with a mostly closed end and discovered a different problem. My VP9 will eject a casing into the holster fairly often, where the bottom opening is too small for the casing to fall through. Getting the casing out required either unbelting the holster or auditioning for Cirque de Soliel. A little dremel work to the rescue.

Get thicker undies and quit going commando. lol

Nah, just funning with you. Best way to test gear is to use said gear hard and fast.

Speaking of pain I was just clearing a building at work with my duty pistol and kicked open a door to sweep the room with my TLR-1 HL. Some hornet or wasp or some other evil, winged creature decided to land on my forearm (that was holding the Glock) and give me a good reminder of the perils of kicking in strange doors.

So my right arm lights up and I look down to see said evil one there......instead of doing the pain dance.....I simply holstered up and then flicked him off.

Battle scars! Just consider your new branding on your rear to be a good battle scar.

Regards.
    Last edited by lwt16; 07-07-2018 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Get thicker undies and quit going commando.
    How else am I supposed to pretend I'm High Speed, Low Drag and a Meat Eating Defender of America Against Evil?

Speaking of pain I was just clearing a building at work with my duty pistol and kicked open a door to sweep the room with my TLR-1 HL. Some hornet or wasp or some other evil, winged creature decided to land on my forearm (that was holding the Glock) and give me a good reminder of the perils of kicking in strange doors.
    I HATE wasps. When I find a nest of them around the house, it's go to war time!

Battle scars! Just consider your new branding on your rear to be a good battle scar.
    Heh! When I was shooting National Match with the California Golden Bears, a club my father founded, I learned to wear LONG shirts with HIGH collars. More than once, I had a piece of hot 308 or 30-06 brass land on my back during prone and find it's way between the waist band of my trouser and the hem of my shirt, or on my bare neck. You couldn't stop shooting and brush it off because the set was timed. Trying to wriggle your butt to shake off! hot brass while shooting does wonderful things for for your score and teaches you about remaining focused!
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I’m fine with open ended holsters so long as they extend past the slide. I don’t think anyone makes completely closed end holsters for a variety of reasons.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

When I took AFHF on a 90 degree Arizona day, I remember having to open the slide and let the gun, a 1911, cool down for a little bit. The gun did fine but the leather holster was not thick enough to prevent that uncomfortably warm feeling against my skin.

Since then I have gone to a P30 and a kydex appendix holster, and hot days and lots of rounds can prove to be uncomfortable.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    I’m fine with open ended holsters so long as they extend past the slide. I don’t think anyone makes completely closed end holsters for a variety of reasons.
    That's a good point. The Kydex IWB holster I have for my PPQ extends past the muzzle and wraps around it but there is still a bit of a gap where the Kydex meets. I'm good with that. I've never been burned from sliding a hot PPQ into that holster.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 07-07-2018 at 12:02 PM.

That’s part of training. Even at a relatively low round count course like ECQC a couple of weeks ago, there were still some strings of fire on the 3rd day (also the sunniest day; lots of sun) where the cylinder and barrel of my 640 got pretty hot. There was one walkback string in particular where the holster up command produced a bit of discomfort. I’m glad the heat never progressed past "discomfort" though, as Craig tends to start back into the lecture portions of his POI immediately after the line is made safe. That stuff is pretty important, so I didn’t want to be the stand-out guy fidgeting around sticking a gloved hand down his pants to keep his AIWB gat from braising his dick.

OWB for range, IWB for carry?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List