Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 276: Defoor Pistol Test 1

Week 276: Defoor Pistol Test 1

Week 276: Defoor Pistol Test 1

Results may be posted until August 6th, 2018.

Designed by: Kyle Defoor
    Range: 25 and 7 yards
    Target: USPSA Metric with additional B8 repair center. Download B8 here: https://pistol-forum.com/attachment....1&d=1322428748
    Start Position: Concealed and holstered for all strings
    Rounds Fired: 15

Defoor Pistol Test 1 is intended to be run cold. In the video below, Defoor specifies a week or ten days of not shooting to meet his definition of cold. A lot of us aren't going to go that long without shooting. Do use it as the first drill of a shooting session without prior warmup, however.

Defoor also specifies 6 yards as the closer shooting distance in his video. The distance has since been changed to 7 yards.

Position the B8 repair center so that the bottom edge aligns with the C/D zone of the USPSA Metric target. You can see the positioning in the video.

String 1: Start with your hand touching the target. At the start signal to run to the 25 yard line, face downrange, draw, and shoot 6 rounds to the B8 repair center. Score the B8. Must have at least 50 points, must complete string in less than 30 seconds (including running uprange.) Over time shot or less than 50 points = FAIL

The rest of the test is conducted at the 7 yard line, with the B8 repair center now representing a hostage.

String 2: At the start signal, draw and shoot 1 round to the lower A-zone. It will actually be the upper half of the lower A-zone, directly above the B8. Must hit in under 2 seconds. Over time shot or miss (out of the reduced lower A-zone) = FAIL

String 3: At the start signal, draw and shoot 6 rounds to the lower A-zone. It will actually be the upper half of the lower A-zone, directly above the B8. Must hit with all shots in under 4.5 seconds. Over time shot or miss (out of the reduced lower A-zone) = FAIL

String 4: At the start signal, draw and shoot 2 rounds to the upper A-zone (credit card in the head.) Must hit with all shots in under 3.5 seconds. Over time shot or miss (out of the upper A-zone) = FAIL

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Pistol, holster, and concealment used
    Time and number of hits for each string
    Pass or Fail
    Anything you noticed

Kyle Defoor shooting Defoor Pistol Test 1:

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

G19 with Ameriglo Sights, Keepers holster appendix from concealment with t-shirt. Shot cold for over 24 hours.

String 1= 21.42 seconds, 54 points. I had 5 out of 6 in the black. Knew the shot on the right edge for a grease mark 7.

String 2= 1.44 seconds. Hit. I botched the draw slightly and made SURE I got a good grip before the shot.

String 3= 4.35 seconds. All hits. My upper "A" zone measured 4.75 inches so there was a little more space allowed than on my targetName:  Defoor Test.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  44.7 KB.

String 4= 2.75 seconds. All hits.

Earned a Pass on this one.

I noticed that I had a ton of time at the 25. I pushed the pace hard and I really tried to bear down on the front sight and let the pistol do its thing, and it worked.
    President
    Valor Ridge Training
    www.valorridge.com
    www.youtube.com/c/ReidHenrichs

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Henrichs View Post
    G19 with Ameriglo Sights, Keepers holster appendix from concealment with t-shirt. Shot cold for over 24 hours.

String 1= 21.42 seconds, 54 points. I had 5 out of 6 in the black. Knew the shot on the right edge for a grease mark 7.

String 2= 1.44 seconds. Hit. I botched the draw slightly and made SURE I got a good grip before the shot.

String 3= 4.35 seconds. All hits. My upper "A" zone measured 4.75 inches so there was a little more space allowed than on my targetName:  Defoor Test.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  44.7 KB.

String 4= 2.75 seconds. All hits.

Earned a Pass on this one.

I noticed that I had a ton of time at the 25. I pushed the pace hard and I really tried to bear down on the front sight and let the pistol do its thing, and it worked.
    Awesome shooting!

This drill was my go to start of the range session for quite awhile. Looking forward to running it again soon. Will post results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HK USP9c v7
    AE147FP
    JRC CDAII under a tshirt
    Pass
    Shot cold outside of 10 days
    On the B8 the bottom round almost got cropped off.

Name:  tmp_18996-20180707_1412253284474687859778767.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  31.3 KB

Second attempt was much better except that little miss on the upper A.

Name:  tmp_18996-20180707_1420349103325349313777098.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  35.5 KB

I will try to upload the mock up of the USPSA target zone.

Defoor Pistol Test #1.pdf
    Last edited by CCT125US; 07-08-2018 at 07:35 AM.
    Taking a break from social media.

Glock 17, w/ HD XR sights
    Safarialnd ALS 7TS on DFA platform

I failed. Twice. The 25 yards killed me. Once I figured out the timing, the close stuff was easy. But the 25 sucked.

I spent the rest of the day shooting trying to suck less by shooting B8s, and dot torture (which I also sucked at)..... time for more dry fire at home.

CZ P07 AIWB with button down shirt

Failed

The 25 yard wasnt as bad as I thought. I think I scored a 45. The 1 round under 2 seconds was a fail and the 2 rounds in the upper A my 2nd round went high

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I love this test and run it as my cold drill whenever I’m at a range that allows movement and drawing from the holster. I modify the target because I always shoot at a silhouette with a B8 pasted in the upper chest and a 3x5 card in the head. With the B8 posted at the bottom, I would need a separate silhouette just to run this test since it would be different. I count the B8 black as the smaller lower A zone for scoring purposes. It’s a slightly smaller scoring zone that the shrunken lower A which balances out the larger scoring zone of the 3x5 card for the head shots.

G19-5 concealed AIWB in a DSG Orion under a closed front button up shirt
    25y: 45/60 23.40s
    D1: hit in 1.58s
    Bill: 6/6 in 4.85s
    2H: 2/2 in 2.67s

Fail

My25y string sucked. Four shots landed in the 7 which failed me right there. I had a trigger freeze/short stroke during the Bill drill and it cost me the time. I was happy to make all the hits though. Still love this test for all the skills and fundamentals it measures.

My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I love this test and run it as my cold drill whenever I’m at a range that allows movement and drawing from the holster. I modify the target because I always shoot at a silhouette with a B8 pasted in the upper chest and a 3x5 card in the head. With the B8 posted at the bottom, I would need a separate silhouette just to run this test since it would be different. I count the B8 black as the smaller lower A zone for scoring purposes. It’s a slightly smaller scoring zone that the shrunken lower A which balances out the larger scoring zone of the 3x5 card for the head shots.
    Use a fat Sharpie and a ruler/tape measure to draw 2x4 and 6x6 scoring zones, takes me a minute.

Today I drew a 2x4” rectangle in the index card for a correct head target. I still used the B8 black for all the body strings.

25y: 37/60 23.69s
    D1: miss in 1.84s
    Bill: 6/6 in 4.27s
    2H: 2/2 in 3.09s

Fail

I really bombed the first two strings today. My 25y string had two complete misses starting me off with a 40/60. The other four rounds were in the black with 3 9s and a 10. My Draw One Shot string was awful. I fumbled my draw and didn’t get a good two handed grip on the gun. Then I rushed the shot and broke it before I reached full extension and ended up throwing it an inch off the B8 completely.

Still much work to be done.

My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Today I drew a 2x4” rectangle in the index card for a correct head target. I still used the B8 black for all the body strings just like last week.

25y: 29/60 in 24.59s
    D1: miss in 1.60s
    Bill: 6/6 in 4.38s
    2H: 2/2 in 3.38s

Big fail

Each hole was marked to show which string it was fired during. I really screwed up my 25y string. I’ve found my cold 25y B8 performance is inconsistent, or consistently poor, depending on how you want to look at it. I completely missed the B8 twice which makes me sad considering how much better my performance is when warmed up. My missed single shot from the second string makes me even sadder. You can see it in the bottom left corner. I rushed, trying to see if I could do it in 1.5s and snatched the absolute hell out of the trigger. My other two strings weren’t bad at all. My bill drill actually stayed in the 10 ring which is crazy good performance for me.

User Tag List