Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RFI: California Travel

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by underhook View Post
    I spent a week backpacking there last summer (Near Oakhurst). There are some sketch people in the backcountry, black bears, and mountain lions. Be prepared from some serious heat during the day and very cold at night.

You are good with any generation Glock. Magazine > 10 rounds if possessed in CA before 2000. It's the importation that is controlled. Keep your mouth shut on magazine questions.

CCW is big boys rules. It's a felony if the gun is not registered to you. Not sure how that works for out of state.
    So there is a guy where I work, he's not a cop thankfully, who seriously claims he can kill a mountain lion with his bare hands. For us mortals, I could not imagine going out in the woods without a gun.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Now I just need to figure out what tools I'm allowed to keep on me while out and about.
    California State laws are fairly decent re knives. Fixed blade knives are legal if carried openly (illegal if concealed). Folders are legal concealed or openly carried if they are in the closed position. There is no state preemption on knife laws, so you will want to check the laws of the jurisdictions where you will be present. Calguns forum has a sub forum on California laws re knives that is more accurate than some other knife law forums. Most LEOs treat knives as an add-on charge. I've never heard of someone being detained solely based upon a folder.

RFI: California Travel

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    So there is a guy where I work, he's not a cop thankfully, who seriously claims he can kill a mountain lion with his bare hands. For us mortals, I could not imagine going out in the woods without a gun.
    Hahahahh!!! That is awesome. There is no way I could possibly keep from laughing if someone said that. Is he also a former ‘Navy SEAL’?

Seriously I would pay solid $$$ to see him try to wrassle a cougar.

I’ve seen two cougars in California, one up close while mountain biking at night. No. Fucking. Way.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 07-06-2018 at 06:16 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    It sounds like the G26 in a locked pelican case with a few loaded mags is the easy button here.

Tempted by the 1301, but we are bringing enough crap already, and I am no where near adept with a shotgun.
    Travel through the West was a component of my buying a P30SK LEM. Same for a Glock 26.5.

Quote Originally Posted by CS Tactical View Post
    I can't wait to move from this state, hoping I can survive one more year here haha
    I escaped last July. I miss many friends and the great weather. However, life is just so much different. You don't realize how oppressed you are until you escape.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I wonder how different CA LEO mindset is vs Texas LEO mindset.
    Unfortunately, not nearly different enough in some TX cities.

Quote Originally Posted by underhook View Post
    You are good with any ...Magazine > 10 rounds if possessed in CA before 2000. It's the importation that is controlled.
    That is no longer true. Mag ban went statewide in 2016 in the "jumping the shark - with guns!" legislative session.

https://www.courthousenews.com/calif...ves-challenge/

I figure, since you can't carry it, and capacity doesn't matter, the best CA gun is a USP .45 with 10-round mags. Big honkin' gun with a big honkin' hole in the end that big honkin' bullets come softly out of. If your hands are big honkin' enough for it.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 07-07-2018 at 09:07 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I’d pay good money to watch that attempt....

Seriously......mentally ill. Cats are God’s gunslingers. And anyone who thinks they can go hand to hand with a 100 lb + cat needs to get back on their Meds.
    Last edited by LSP552; 07-07-2018 at 10:15 AM.

Retired LE here, traveling around the USA in my RV, and carrying under LEOSA. My solution to avoid these mag restricted states is to leave the semi-autos at home in the safe. Instead, I take my 5 shot Chiefs Special and my 6-shot S&W model 686 on the road. Makes everybody happy.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Is pay good money to watch that attempt....

Seriously......mentally ill. Cats are God’s gunslingers. And anyone who thinks they can go hand to hand with a 100 lb + cat needs to get back on their Meds.
    30 million years of evolutionary stability says something. Furry land sharks.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List