Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RFI: California Travel

I'm looking at visiting a friend in L.A. next year. I was thinking about a wood-stocked pump action 12ga but BUSA.com had 10-round PX4 mags for $27, plus their 4th of July sale so I bought 5 neutered mags and I'll be taking a pair of fullsize 9mm PX4's. I have one of those pistol lock boxes with a cable so I can lock it to the vehicle en route and to something in the house when I get there.

Now I just need to figure out what tools I'm allowed to keep on me while out and about.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Which CA state prison would you like to visit for a few years?
    Seriously, all those mags are felonies in CA unless you are an active or retired CA peace officer. Your AR PCC will undoubtedly meet the definition of banned CA “Assault Weapons” if they take detachable mags. What does the host of this class say about bringing that stuff into CA?

Loaded mags in same container with gun = loaded gun in CA. Unloaded in locked container with ammo separate is required. Any gun stuff visible in passenger compartment will likely result in uncomfortable questions and a search of vehicle by LE.
    Unfortunately most of this is correct, but you can have loaded magazines in the same container as an unloaded firearm.

From the CHP site:
    I will be traveling to California and want to carry my weapon. I currently have a concealed weapon permit. How can I legally transport my weapon while driving through the state?

​California law does not recognize concealed weapon permits from other states; therefore, they would not be held valid. If you wish to transport a handgun during your California visit, it should be carried unloaded in a locked container. In the absence of a suitable container, you may secure the unloaded handgun in the locked trunk of a passenger car. Ammunition may be kept in the same container or trunk, but the handgun must remain unloaded with no rounds in the cylinder and no loaded magazines in the magazine well.

If you have additional questions, contact the California Department of Justice at (916) 227-3703.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Ok, seems that is right as of 2016, guess I'm retired too long now. I'd still keep them in separate containers.

Long legal discussion here about loaded guns in CA:

https://www.shouselaw.com/25850.html
    Last edited by LtDave; 07-06-2018 at 05:35 PM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Hammertime
    It sounds like the G26 in a locked pelican case with a few loaded mags is the easy button here.

Tempted by the 1301, but we are bringing enough crap already, and I am no where near adept with a shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    but we are bringing enough crap already
    That was a big factor in my decision to bring pistols instead of a shotgun. I can break the Mossberg 500 down but it's still way bigger than a pistol lockbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CS Tactical View Post
    Not all CA LEO's think the same (Some are also members here)
    Lol true. There are plenty of goofball Texas cops too, but I was speaking in generalities in relation to guns.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Lol true. There are plenty of goofball Texas cops too, but I was speaking in generalities in relation to guns.

Oh I know, but depending on the area you'd be surprised how many Officers are Pro-2A.
    CS Tactical
    www.cstactical.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CS Tactical View Post
    Oh I know, but depending on the area you'd be surprised how many Officers are Pro-2A.
    I love CA kind of like I love Mexico. If either one were sane, I would move to them.

I think the Colt Night Cobra would make a good CA/NY/etc gun.

We will be headed to California to the Sierra Nevadas for a week this summer. Not a dangerous area.
    I spent a week backpacking there last summer (Near Oakhurst). There are some sketch people in the backcountry, black bears, and mountain lions. Be prepared from some serious heat during the day and very cold at night.

You are good with any generation Glock. Magazine > 10 rounds if possessed in CA before 2000. It's the importation that is controlled. Keep your mouth shut on magazine questions.

CCW is big boys rules. It's a felony if the gun is not registered to you. Not sure how that works for out of state.
    Last edited by underhook; 07-06-2018 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I love CA kind of like I love Mexico. If either one were sane, I would move to them.

I think the Colt Night Cobra would make a good CA/NY/etc gun.

I can't wait to move from this state, hoping I can survive one more year here haha
    CS Tactical
    www.cstactical.com

User Tag List