Thread: Efficacy of Bear Spray Against Humans

Efficacy of Bear Spray Against Humans

What is the efficacy of bear spray against humans? Leave aside legal issues, this is merely out of curiosity.

I have heard it stated that bear spray is actually less effective against humans, though I do not remember from where. A friend of mine (a squared away CO that has used sprays many, many times) stated that he was told this by some of the engineers of some of the LL firms that he's talked to. On the other hand, he does agree that major capsaicinoids percentage is generally a great correlation of performance (keeping in mind that there are plenty of folks out there that can power through it anyway). So there's a bit of a disconnect here, as I was presented with an argument about how bear spray has great efficacy against humans, as it generally has 1.33% major capsaicinoids to 2%, while many OC sprays have much lower major capsaicinoids percentage; e.g., Fox Labs Five Point Three says they are at at least 0.70%, while both SABRE Red's and Defense Tech's OC spray line tops out at 1.33%. By comparison, SABRE Red's bear spray is at 2%, while UDAP is at 2% capsaicin and related capsaicinoids, (is CRC the same thing as MC?, as UDAP also makes a 3% OC spray).

And yes, I'm aware that no matter how hot, there are random folks that just aren't fazed by it, and others that will power through it.

@Chuck Haggard
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 07-05-2018 at 10:07 PM.

I can't speak to effects on humans. But I can relate one incident that factors into my response hierarchy.

On our sketchier project sites, members of my staff who do not have CCWs carry bear spray. On most of these places, the top threats are 1) dogs that belong to tweakers, and 2) tweakers, in that order. Black bear are common enough here but as biologists, they are way down our list of concerns, there has never been a serious recorded attack on humans in this county. Anyway a couple years ago one of my guys faced off with an unhappy pit bull, pulled his bear spray out, was about to use it... then noticed that a stiff wind was blowing right in his face. Fortunately the dog was a wimp and when yelled at it backed off.

I think the moral of the story is, whenever practical have more than one plan.

When I was living in Montana, a couple of my buddies decided to visit a neighboring town for kayaking and the inevitable cold beers. At some point, the locals took umbrage to their presence and fisticuffs ensued. When the numbers grew to large, one of them ran off...much to the other's dismay...he returned though, with bear spray in hand, and quite effectively dispersed the crowd. All second hand recounting, of course, but I got a grin out of remembering the tale.
    Last edited by Gun Mutt; 07-06-2018 at 09:02 AM.

Bear spray and people spray are often the same spray, in a different can.

It would be very effective.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I can tell you that when a 6 year old gets ahold of a can and sprays their parents with it, the parents went to the hospital via squad. When I showed up I lol’d.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List