Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W Model 12-2 — $325 a good deal?

S&W Model 12-2 — $325 a good deal?

I was at one of the local shops today and they had a used Model 12-2 for sale for $325. It had a few dings and finish wear but mechanically seemed in good condition. Is it worth the asking price of $325? Are there any know problems or concerns with this model?

Site Supporter
    Can’t speak to issues. But for an old S&W with no lock and maybe recessed cylinders I’d snap it up.

Cheaper than a new one with mim and lock.

You looking as a collectible or a shooter? Parts are scarce for the model 12. If I remember right, they have a different width frame between the stocks so finding aftermarket stocks might be an issue. Price seems decent. Lemme go check my SCSW.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

The things I keep reading is that they are known for cracking the frame under the barrel, S&W will not work on them, and grips don't quite fit until the -3.
    Smith needs to re-introduce these with modern metallurgy. Maybe as a K-frame Centennial.

Any K-frame that still works is worth at least that much.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    I was at one of the local shops today and they had a used Model 12-2 for sale for $325. It had a few dings and finish wear but mechanically seemed in good condition. Is it worth the asking price of $325? Are there any know problems or concerns with this model?
    12-2 variations would date to the 1962-1977 era. Very desirable Smith but depends very much on the real physical/mechanical condition... What's the barrel length? That matters too. The Model 12 is referred to as the .38 M&P Airweight and as such would not have recessed cylinders but very likely a pinned barrel. Look for obvious signs of heavy wear both aesthetic and physical and go from there. The SCSW rates the 12 as $425 in VG to $300 G condition...

A 12-2 does have the thinner frame. The 12 has a problem with cracked frames. If it’s a alloy cylinder as well it’s not a shooter.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Thanks for all the info! It was a 2 inch barrel, square butt if that matters. I would say not in collectible condition, I should have snapped some pictures while I was there. It would be a shooter for me, not a collectible. At this point I think I’ll pass, the frame cracking and thinner frame are not something I’m interested in.

Site Supporter
    If it was a 2" Square Butt, that's not a correct combo. 2" Model 12s were round butt guns. Sounds like somebody might have done a barrel swap.

And I'm like some others that would love to see a Model 12 return. My dream would be a round butt DAO with a 3" medium contour barrel.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 07-14-2018 at 01:57 PM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Been collecting the 12 for over 20 years now, the factory made both square and round butt variations in the 2" and 4" versions. It was not until the 12-4 that the frame width was upsized to the exact dimensions of the K frame, but the earlier (factory designation KA frame) guns will accept K frame grips, you just have a tiny gap at the top where the inside surface of the upper 1/2" of the grip sides overlap the frame with about a 1/16" gap, and that is easily filled (on the grip) and not even noticed on some grips like many of the rubber grips. So you can easily adapt square or round K frame grips.

It is impossible to rebarrel these guns without destroying them because of the stress fit procedure that actually threads the frame that they used on those early aluminum frames when installing the barrel, I have ruined one trying.

That is a good price. They are not as fragile as the early alloy J frames but I still limit the diet of +P ammo mine get fed. Unlike the frame stretching those early alloy j frames can experience the great enemy of the 12 appears to be cracking the frame at the threads near the forcing cone. I have seen a couple that were wrecked like that.

What you want to look for, swing out the cylinder and closely inspect in 360 degrees the area of the frame around where the barrel threads are, if there is a fatal crack they are usually right there. some where on the frame in front of the forcing cone. Usually a a crack along the same longitude of the barrel and most I have seen were just under the crane.

12-2 has a reputation for being a very accurate snubby.
    Last edited by fatdog; 07-14-2018 at 02:38 PM.

User Tag List