Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Everybody was flashlight fightin'...

Everybody was flashlight fightin'...

In my quest to learn more about the use of the flashlight as a tool of self-defense, I found these (useful?) links;

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-defense-pt-1/

https://www.nitecorelights.com/pages...h-a-flashlight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uS82E0zBJM

Obviously there are many more links on the subject out there - if anyone has one worth a look please post it below.

In the meantime I'm looking forward to the Low Light Pistol Operator course next month at the Sig Academy, where we'll all be flashlight fightin'...

Two words - Shivworks AMIS.

That's my next big course.

In terms of deploying a flashlight in self-defense situations, I think a couple of things are overblown and underplayed.

Overblown - Using the flashlight as an impact weapon. Sure, a handheld light can be used as a fistload. It makes an okay fist load - if it's all you have - But a Top Popper or Vox Snail - etc. all make better fist loads. Given a choice between a flashlight and nothing, I might actually opt for nothing. I'd certainly never take a flashlight over a sap or jack.

Underplayed - Short bursts of extremely bright light as OODA loop resets.

Anecdotal story time - About a year ago, I had to head over to Midway Airport to pick up a friend who was coming in late (~11:30 or so at night). Midway is in a mediocre neighborhood that borders some pretty sketch areas, so I don't travel unarmed. As I'm driving there is some road construction. I see it well in advance and get over into the lane that isn't closed. The guy next to me, finger fucking his phone, does not see it. When we arrive at the merge point, I do not let him in, because I don't let idiots drive in front of me if avoidable. This results in this particular guy getting a real case of the ass. When the road widens back up, he is furiously yelling at me and screaming at me in the lane next to me at a traffic light. I studiously ignore him. But finally, he gets pissed off enough that he starts to take off his seatbelt to get out of the car. I've seen this movie before, so I roll my passenger window down (he's in the lane to my right). Seeing I'm going to "engage" him, he stops trying to get out of his car. I removed my Quark with Turbo setting from my pocket. As he starts yelling at me again, I gave him a rapid blast of ~800 lumens from the light, maybe 2 seconds worth. He was staring right at me and got the light right in his face from maybe 8 feet away.

Instantly, the dude is reset. Instantly. He shut down, confused, blinded, and dazed. The light turned green and I drove off, while he was shaking the stars from his eyes. No strobe necessary in this situation, just a good old fashioned blast of bright light hitting you in the face. He didn't really know what had happened, but I know what he wasn't expecting was a blast of bright white light to the face.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Overblown - Using the flashlight as an impact weapon. Sure, a handheld light can be used as a fistload. It makes an okay fist load - if it's all you have - But a Top Popper or Vox Snail - etc. all make better fist loads. Given a choice between a flashlight and nothing, I might actually opt for nothing. I'd certainly never take a flashlight over a sap or jack.
    At one time when those long D-cell Maglites were regularly carried by LEOs, they were quite effectively used as improvised batons. My understanding is that practice (whooping suspects with big, heavy flashlights) came to be frowned upon due to the injury that could be delivered. So there is certainly history for use of a flashlight as an effective striking tool.

Along with being much brighter, todays flashlights are typically much smaller, much lighter and far less less durable than those old Maglites. However there are still some that have adequate size and the rugged construction needed to serve as an improvised striking tool. Below is one of my Malkoff lights that I assembled and carry for just this reason: at 6.5 inches long, 8.2 ounces and built like a hammer, I believe with proper technique would also serve well as a striking tool in the event its 14,000 lux of output doesn't break the attacker's OODA loop;

Name:  MD3-M61T.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  59.2 KB

The above light fits in a front pants pocket and carries surprisingly well. I'm convinced that if I ever need to strike someone in self-defense, I'd rather do so with this in-hand. In any case I'm still studying and researching, and appreciate your input!

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Yeah, big lights are substitute batons. Figure most folks not in a uniform aren't packing one around, but a vehicle mount is possible.

Don't know much about fighting with little modern lights, but strobe light on someone's feet when they are running at night can "trip " them from a distance.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Depends on what you're looking to learn... You got guys doing combatives with lights, shooting techniques with lights, low light tactics, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    Depends on what you're looking to learn... You got guys doing combatives with lights, shooting techniques with lights, low light tactics, etc.
    Shooting technique is something I practice myself regularly. I've become comfortable with several holds and being able to run a pistol using those holds. That seems the easiest part.

Low light tactics are something I've only studied via online articles/videos and can practice (to some degree) around the house. I figure this is better than nothing and am looking forward to some first-hand instruction at the Low Light Pistol Operator course next month.

Using a hand held light as an impact weapon is where I have little guidance and no practice - I would like to change that (at least a little). I'm first trying to determine if this is a viable undertaking and if so, I have to believe the physical characteristics of the flashlight will have some bearing on the effectiveness of using it this way. I do not believe this is going to be covered in any depth at the course.

If a flashlight can be used as an impact weapon in some reasonably effective manner, carrying one physically capable of doing so is certainly not an issue.

Edit - my reading on this topic thus far is focused on the Yawara Stick.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 07-06-2018 at 05:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Using a hand held light as an impact weapon is where I have little guidance and no practice
    Not to say you don't need training, but it isn't rocket science.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I’m old school. Anytime I step out of the car at night I have a Maglite LED in my left hand. And yes it’s been used as an impact weapon.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Not to say you don't need training, but it isn't rocket science.
    This may blow up the Internet, but the human creature is genetically engineered to throw rocks and swing clubs.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    Focusing on Yawara techniques puts you exactly on the right track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List