Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Everybody was flashlight fightin'...

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    At one time when those long D-cell Maglites were regularly carried by LEOs, they were quite effectively used as improvised batons. My understanding is that practice (whooping suspects with big, heavy flashlights) came to be frowned upon due to the injury that could be delivered. So there is certainly history for use of a flashlight as an effective striking tool.

Along with being much brighter, todays flashlights are typically much smaller, much lighter and far less less durable than those old Maglites. However there are still some that have adequate size and the rugged construction needed to serve as an improvised striking tool. Below is one of my Malkoff lights that I assembled and carry for just this reason: at 6.5 inches long, 8.2 ounces and built like a hammer, I believe with proper technique would also serve well as a striking tool in the event its 14,000 lux of output doesn't break the attacker's OODA loop;

Attachment 27769

The above light fits in a front pants pocket and carries surprisingly well. I'm convinced that if I ever need to strike someone in self-defense, I'd rather do so with this in-hand. In any case I'm still studying and researching, and appreciate your input!
    That’s about the ideal size for using Mike Janich’s “Cycling” striking technique. You can find some decent explanation of it on line. Not sure if it works as well as claimed, but it’s another tool in the box.

ASP batons are shit, avoid them.

Hitting people with flashlights EFFECTIVELY takes more training than most people think.

Sabre Red or Crossfire for your OC needs.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    ASP batons are shit, avoid them.
    Any suggestions for a better stick 6.5" or maybe 6.75" at the absolute most overall collapsed length? My P16 was chosen for fitting my pocket and I'm open to improvement as much as a short stick can be.

Chuck has always steered my right when it comes to OC. On his rec I’ve got Sabre Red with a UV marking dye stashed in the car, in my work bag, in my wife’s purse, and one with the dog lead that goes in my pocket/waistband whenever it’s time to walk the mutt. https://www.sabrered.com/pepper-spra...oz-stream-mk-6 - It’s not a small can, but the clip makes it really handy.

The only thing I like from ASP is the Key Defender. But seriously - an ASP or flashlight as a baton is like birdshot for defense. Better than a poke in the eye, but barely. When it comes to impact weapons - sap, jack, lead/steel loaded baton/stick, heavy stick/cane with weighted/thick head, non-loaded stick or baton, flashlight, expandable baton - in that order of preference.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 07-09-2018 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Point Aficionado View Post
    Any suggestions for a better stick 6.5" or maybe 6.75" at the absolute most overall collapsed length? My P16 was chosen for fitting my pocket and I'm open to improvement as much as a short stick can be.
    If saps and/or jacks are legal - Foster Impact Devices.

If they are not legal - D3 protection offers hardwood and lead loaded batons.

I used Sabre Red in a stream on a suspect last week. He went down like it shut down his CNS. Probably the most effective OC deployment I’ve seen and I’ve seen a lot.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List