Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben Stoeger drill

Ben Stoeger drill

YVK recently took a course with Ben, that he has favorably reviewed in the AAR section. Discussing the course with me on the phone, he mentioned that Ben demoed one particular drill, and apparently it is a primary drill that Ben shoots 25,000-30,000 rounds a year. That got me very interested.

The drill is to set up one USPSA target, and draw and shoot two shots at a pace you can make all A’s, pause momentarily and shoot two shots, and repeat for eight or ten rounds total. This burns in the discipline to shoot all A hits, in the two shot strings common to USPSA. Apparently Ben shoots this same drill from up close to out far.

My wife and I have been shooting this for the last two weeks, and apparently Ben knows something (smile) as we have been shooting a whole lot of A’s, on demand, at varying distances. It is incredibly easy to set-up, and even lends itself to those stuck shooting inside or with limited range gear.

Try it, you may like it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I’ve been warming up with Doubles and like this drill too.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

So basically he shoots 30K a year in a match mode drill (to coin Steve Anderson)?

Interesting, and not totally surprising. I’ll give this one a whirl.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 07-04-2018 at 09:34 PM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

The details are in Ben’s Skills & Drills book. Shoot 4 pairs, at various distances, going for as many A’s as possible. Be sure to see the sights on each shot fired, especially at any meaningful distance. Take out the variables out like draw, grip, DA pull, moving into/out of position, leans, etc.

It’s amazing what is possible at 5-25 yards in terms of splits and accuracy. It also shows defects in your technique. Shooting multiple sets at a given range can also show pattens that may not otherwise be obvious.

At further distances it may be useful to put a white no-shoot behind the head box to catch the shots fired early that would have gone over the shoulder/head of the target.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

We did this in his class a few years ago. We took turtle targets, cut out the A zone, flipped the C/D zone over so the A zone was surrounded by the white C/D. I caught grief for not going fast enough.

Sounds like a great way to burn in that DA to SA transition too.

There is much more to the drill. Catch the interview with him on the "Shoot Fast Podcast" #24 June 18th, and/or I think show Practical Pistol Show #242. He explains it in depth. This and his "Practical Accuracy" drills have helped me a ton since taking his Fundamentals Class this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Slalom.45 View Post
    There is much more to the drill. Catch the interview with him on the "Shoot Fast Podcast" #24 June 18th, and/or I think show Practical Pistol Show #242. He explains it in depth. This and his "Practical Accuracy" drills have helped me a ton since taking his Fundamentals Class this spring.
    I would be interested if you recall the cliff notes version of what he said.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Take out the variables out like draw, grip, DA pull, moving into/out of position, leans, etc.
    Can you clarify what you mean here? I take it as: this drill removes those variables and focuses on shooting doubles only from a ready position.

Quote Originally Posted by Slalom.45 View Post
    I am going to check that out as I have read the drill in his book but never really understood it I guess because I didn't see it as a great drill.

User Tag List