Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Any cigar smokers?

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Wife took me out for my birthday on Friday. Ended at the cigar bar. Had an Ashton ESG with a couple fingers of The Dalmore 18yr. Pretty tasty.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy
    Very nice smoke. I actually prefer the vsg from Ashton, but they are both great smokes in the higher price point.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    (Brings back memories of my college days...sophisticates that we were. )
    I actually started with Cuban cigars in college. Hey, one or two a month didn't cost that much, especially since I've never been into drinking to excess. When you never visit bars, that helps a bit with the budget...

I do think Cuban cigars tend to be overpriced. And often wayyy too strong for an occasional cigar smoker who never smoked cigarettes, like me. I prefer usually Dominican cigars these days.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    I actually started with Cuban cigars in college. Hey, one or two a month didn't cost that much, especially since I've never been into drinking to excess. When you never visit bars, that helps a bit with the budget...

I do think Cuban cigars tend to be overpriced. And often wayyy too strong for an occasional cigar smoker who never smoked cigarettes, like me. I prefer usually Dominican cigars these days.
    When I worked in Miami, real Cuban cigars, (as opposed to Cuban seed from the Dominican or elsewhere), were not hard to come by as lots of folks were coming and going. Truthfully, I actually preferred some of the Dominican and Nicaraguan cigars. The Hondurans were by and large a little mild for my taste.

I have a nice variety of cigars stored away downstairs but I'm far from an expert. When I used to frequent cigar forums I'd pick up some special deals from time to time. Now I only smoke 'em occasionally when my buddy comes over.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I've been known to enjoy a cigar or two here or there. I made it a "goal" to try to enjoy one a week just because sitting outside with a nice glass of whiskey or rum, a book, and a cigar was a good way to get me to just slow down. I manage about one a quarter. I need to work on that.

My favorite is the Diamond Crown No. 4, partially because I enjoy the hell out of them and partially because that was my celebratory cigar after my daughter was born. The Insidious by Asylum and Arturo Fuente Gran Reservas are a couple of my other go-to cigars. Local cigar shop in Huntsville had a "Saturn V" blend (think it was Gurkha that did it for them) that I liked as well and I'm holding on to my last 3 of those. I've still got several Gurkha sticks left from a sampler that I still haven't gone through . . . mostly because they seem to be about the most overrated, inconsistent cigars in my humidor with the exception of the 18 y/o Cellar Reserves I picked up. I've had friends that enjoyed the MUWAT Kentucky Fire Cured, so that's on the list to try as well.

Didn't think about it when I moved down here, but several times a week I drive by the Perdomo, Oliva, and Padilla stores/factories. I keep meaning to drop in and check them out but just haven't had the presence of mind to stop in (or check and see if they have a store on site in the case of Oliva).

Name:  Humidor_01.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  59.6 KB

Name:  Cigars_02.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  45.9 KB

Name:  Cigars_01.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  21.6 KB
    Last edited by ragnar_d; 07-14-2018 at 04:50 PM.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    I actually started with Cuban cigars in college. [emoji14] Hey, one or two a month didn't cost that much, especially since I've never been into drinking to excess. When you never visit bars, that helps a bit with the budget...

Generally speaking... Cubans are much milder than Nicaraguan or Dominicans. They are generally blended more for the European market which prefers milder flavors. Depending on taxes, they are also usually less expensive. Without going into too many details, where were you buying them from?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe45 View Post
    Generally speaking... Cubans are much milder than Nicaraguan or Dominicans. They are generally blended more for the European market which prefers milder flavors. Depending on taxes, they are also usually less expensive. Without going into too many details, where were you buying them from?
    Um... Are you talking about actual Cuban cigars, not Cuban brands using non-Cuban tobacco? Because that is most definitely not my experience. Of course there are variations between brands and specific cigars, and I tend to go for the milder Dominicans, but in general I find Cuban cigars to have a significantly higher nicotine content than a lot of the Dominican stuff. Also, I've never found a tobacco store that sold actual Cuban cigars for less than their equivalent quality, size and shape non-Cuban cigar. Quite the contrary.

Without going into too many details on my cigar sources, a few local tobacconists (high probability of getting the actual product advertised, not fakes) and generally agreed to be reliable on-line stores.

Site Supporter
    An real Habano Montecristo #4 accompanied by a Moscow mule.

Name:  IMAG1462.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  33.3 KB

I'm a man that definitely appreciates a nice ash.

Name:  Nice Ash.JPG
Views: 196
Size:  36.5 KB

That's actually my former neighbor, a good guy to have around for the three B's; bonfires, beer & bourbon. He was a cigarette smoker and I had shared the joys of a quality maduro with him. First lesson: Quit tapping the damn thing like it's a Marlboro & let that ash develop...he was very proud of this one. Pretty sure those were Fuentes that night.

Site Supporter
    I'm a fan of the Hoyo de Monterrey Rothschild in maduro or oscuro. It's what I keep on hand. I'm running low so I ordered more today along with some Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 torpedo 2nds since Cigars International has them on sale at $45 for a bundle of 15. Never tried the Rocky Patels but they have a great reputation and at that price for the torpedo I figure I can't go wrong.

Quick plug for Cigars International: I realized after I hit send on the order that I could have used a discount code for another $30 off. I called customer service to see if they could apply it. The wait time was short, the customer rep was very friendly and the coupon was applied. I've never ordered from CI before, but I can tell you I will again.

User Tag List