Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Silly Question - why not turn off all the flashing lights?

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    Siren boxes that can be programmed to shut down the siren when the cruiser is put in park are the greatest invention in the history of law enforcement.
    We have that option. It works great.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Pardon my silly question but watching some horrible incident on TV, I see rows of police cars, trucks, etc. The action is elsewhere or may even be over. However, the rows of vehicles all are flashing their lights. Is there a reason? I would find it distracting.

Thanks.
    In South Dakota LEOs deactivate their flashing lights during a call.As such I’ve unfortunately witnessed too many cases of drivers who either blow by a traffic stop at 75+ mph for lack of situational awareness, or who switch lanes at the last minute. If the strobes are active it motivates drivers to put down the phone and pay attention, especially when an accidents closed multiple lanes of traffic.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

As others have said, most departments have policy on emergency light usage same as traffic vests. Not activating them can be used against you from the department and workers comp if you get hurt.

Although the main reason is most forget to turn them off on major scenes.
    @johnhearne has helped me a lot when it comes to emergency lights. Hopefully he will chime in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

User Tag List