Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoulder Holster Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Thanks for everybody's input-it's all been exceptionally helpful for me in narrowing things down. I saw the doctor today, and he's optimistic that my aggravation will eventually go away-hopefully sooner than a lingering later.

I'm oriented now more towards either a horizontal ( e.g., Miami Classic) or butt-down (e.g., Jackass) rig. With the most likely pistol being dedicated to shoulder use being my P30L, what be the thoughts of these two types of rigs vis-a-vis the P30L's slightly longer (4.5") barrel?

Best, Jon
    I started keeping a WML on my gun 24/7 many years ago. I wanted a shoulder rig for the times when it’s a better option (like 17hr road trips). Not wanting to give up my WML I had Coffman Concealment make this. He used a Galco harness. The muzzle are was left open so it works with a G19/17/34.

I also have back issues which is why I went with a perfectly balanced set up.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Thanks for everybody's input-it's all been exceptionally helpful for me in narrowing things down. I saw the doctor today, and he's optimistic that my aggravation will eventually go away-hopefully sooner than a lingering later.

I'm oriented now more towards either a horizontal ( e.g., Miami Classic) or butt-down (e.g., Jackass) rig. With the most likely pistol being dedicated to shoulder use being my P30L, what be the thoughts of these two types of rigs vis-a-vis the P30L's slightly longer (4.5") barrel?

Best, Jon
    I've used an Alessi ankle holster and a Kahr K9 for over twenty years as a BUG and wouldn't use any other ankle rig.

I liked the orientation of the Jackass for concealing a 5" 1911.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I've tentatively narrowed things down to 2 main contenders:

-Galco's Jackass Rig;https://www.galcogunleather.com/jack..._8_2_1167.html

-El Paso Saddlery's #200 https://epsaddlery.com/product/200-s...-complete-rig/

At this point, while both are the strongly recommended "figure 8" systems mentioned in the thread, I'm slightly more inclined to El Paso Saddlery's #200; their workmanship is absolutely superb, and their leather quality is excellent-and they have a lifetime warranty (as I just recently discovered with one of their belts which after some 20 years of use required a billet to be replaced after cracking and breaking-they beautifully repaired it, and refinished the entire belt-at zero charge. I've been very pleased with Galco as well, but I think that like the leather flared shoulder straps of the El Paso rig a bit more than the suede of the Galco Jackass for comfort and durability.

Both rigs utilize a canted butt-down approach, which I suspect will work best with 4.5" barrels, as the cant will provide for a bit more concealment/lack of printing for such full-size barrel/slide lengths. Price is about the same for both (the Galco can probably be obtained for a bit less, but not so much that it's of any real significance in the decision)

Now another decision point: Platform. My initial intention is to utilize my HK P30L (and possibly use the same rig for my VP40; the viability of such an interchangeability between the two HKs is being check out). This year in particular I've really committed to primarily using my P30L and Beretta 92D; out of those two, I think the HK is the better choice, from a weight and balance standpoint in particular for use in a shoulder rig.

However (and there's always a "however," isn't there?...Another thought would be to go back to my Glocks for shoulder carry, as the same rig could be interchangeably used for my G17, G19 and G22. I do well with Glocks, and mine are all well vetted performers. Their weight and finish durability (including that of their magazines) is another plus. The downside to Glocks is that in a duty/threat management pistol, I think that the P30L in V1 LEM (and the Beretta 92D DAO) are better choices, as we've discussed in some detail here on p-f, with Darryl/Dagga Boy's thoughts being the best proponent of this; I've certainly bought into it for the past year with no regrets.

Again, continued thoughts and inputs appreciated.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 07-09-2018 at 05:58 PM.

There is no comparison between the leather of Elpasso saddlery and galco.

Check out ebay. They have some Elpasso saddlery holsters nearly half off. I'm not sure if there are any in the exact configuration you're looking for though. I saw a fully carved spider shoulder rig for $160ish

Jon,

With your desire to carry a P30L, how are you planning to get an El Paso holster considering they dont offer a shoulder rig for it? Do they have other HK options and just havent updated their website?

Anyone, have any of you found a company that offers a line of shoulder rigs for pistols with WMLs?
    Last edited by Brian T; 07-10-2018 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    Jon,

With your desire to carry a P30L, how are you planning to get an El Paso holster considering they dont offer a shoulder rig for it? Do they have other HK options and just havent updated their website?

Anyone, have any of you found a company that offers a line of shoulder rigs for pistols with WMLs?
    JRC is currently making some for a coworker and I.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    Jon,

They do make them for the P30, and just haven't updated their ordering options on the website. I had an excellent conversation with them, and they're checking to see if their #200 can be blocked to allow for interchangeable use with both my P30L and VP40. Otherwise, I may go it with a Glock holster, allowing for interchangeable use with my G17/G19/G22 (or just suck it up and accept that the HK P30 holster can only be used for a P30...).

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 07-11-2018 at 01:59 AM.

I've tentatively narrowed things down to 2 main contenders:

-Galco's Jackass Rig;https://www.galcogunleather.com/jack..._8_2_1167.html

-El Paso Saddlery's #200 https://epsaddlery.com/product/200-s...-complete-rig/
    The whole strap-around-the-grip-tang would preclude the EP version. While it secures the gun, it is wholly unsat for actually drawing the thing.

Just on a person note, my one experience with EP was less than satisfactory. I ordered a Summer Cruiser IWB for a G19......which was molded so well that my son uses it for his Beretta 92F.
    I sent it back, and they did swap the tan belt loops for black like I asked, but that was it.

Now another decision point: Platform. My initial intention is to utilize my HK P30L (and possibly use the same rig for my VP40; the viability of such an interchangeability between the two HKs is being check out). This year in particular I've really committed to primarily using my P30L and Beretta 92D; out of those two, I think the HK is the better choice, from a weight and balance standpoint in particular for use in a shoulder rig.
    No experience with the HKs, but using a G27 in Jackass holster was less than pleasant just because ALL the weight was in the butt, and the barrel/slide length was too short to offer any kind of counter balance. The P30L might not have such an issue, but the 92D just might balance better, with better weight distribution.

However (and there's always a "however," isn't there?...Another thought would be to go back to my Glocks for shoulder carry, as the same rig could be interchangeably used for my G17, G19 and G22. I do well with Glocks, and mine are all well vetted performers. Their weight and finish durability (including that of their magazines) is another plus. The downside to Glocks is that in a duty/threat management pistol, I think that the P30L in V1 LEM (and the Beretta 92D DAO) are better choices, as we've discussed in some detail here on p-f, with Darryl/Dagga Boy's thoughts being the best proponent of this; I've certainly bought into it for the past year with no regrets.
    I fall into the same camp about threat management triggers, but the NY1 spring /(-)connector combo works well in the Glock, and with the SCD would not give me any heartburn to carry.

Just a couple of thoughts.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 07-11-2018 at 12:38 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    The whole strap-around-the-grip-tang would preclude the EP version. While it secures the gun, it is wholly unsat for actually drawing the thing.

Just on a person note, my one experience with EP was less than satisfactory. I ordered a Summer Cruiser IWB for a G19......which was molded so well that my son uses it for his Beretta 92F.
    I sent it back, and they did swap the tan belt loops for black like I asked, but that was it.

No experience with the HKs, but using a G27 in Jackass holster was less than pleasant just because ALL the weight was in the butt, and the barrel/slide length was too short to offer any kind of counter balance. The P30L might not have such an issue, but the 92D just might balance better, with better weight distribution.

I fall into the same camp about threat management triggers, but the NY1 spring /(-)connector combo works well in the Glock, and with the SCD would not give me any heartburn to carry.

Just a couple of thoughts.
    Chuck,

I agree about the retention strap on that El Paso rig - non-starter.

Do you think the Jackass rig’s holster angle contributed to the relative unpleasantness of carrying your G27? IOW, would a horizontal holster (Miami Classic, for example) work better?

I hope so, since I just ordered one to try with my G26. But if it doesn’t work out, at least it’s usable with a longer slide Glock, so I can hopefully find a happy place. And if not, I can put a Beretta holster on the rig.

I had a good follow up discussion with El Paso Saddlery today; they can block the #200 holster body so that it can be interchangeably be used for both the P30L and VP40; that's good news.

Glock still might be a contender; I'm mulling that over.

Chuck, thanks for muddying the waters with the Beretta 92 suggestion....I've been considering that as well. While I'm thinking a polymer-framed pistol might be a tad more easier/comfortable with a shoulder holster from a weight/balance standpoint (and length-my 92D is fairly long, with an overall length of some 8.5" with a 4.9" barrel).

Best, Jon

User Tag List