Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoulder Holster Recommendations

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I know this is not intended to be a discussion about the merits and faults of shoulder holsters but since I've spent more recent time in one than anyone else I know I'll just point out that in my opinion the problem is not flagging yourself or others; in fact I found that easy to train around.

The problem is that if it goes hands-on you have this thing flopping around, and your draw stroke is really easy to foul. If your clinched up with someone, getting to your gus is probably easier for them than you. Defending it is hard. If you go to the ground it's everwhere and possibly pointing at you while getting slammed around.

So while I do like them for certain applications, the entangled gunfight in a shoulder rig is really, really ugly.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Another Andrews Monarch fan, here. The Monarch is horizontal, but Andrews may well make a vertical system. The Monarch has a very well-thought-out harness system, supremely stable without the need for tie-downs linked to a belt, which can be important for an older guy with a sometimes-sensitive lower digestive system. The strap that passes across the mid/lower back is an important part of the stability equation.

I found mine pre-owned, on evil-bay, set-up as a righty rig for the P228/P229. I also found a pre-owned lefty component set for the SP101, that included an Andrews holster body and modified Bianchi Scorpio ammo carrier. (The Scorpio ammo carrier has two dump pouches perfectly-sized for Bianchi Speed Strips.) When I phased-out .40 S&W and SIGs, I combined the Monarch harness with the SP101 holster body.

I may obtain another holster body, probably for a revolver, to make a double rig. This could be an entire replacement component, or, perhaps, pulling the dump pouches from their slots, and attaching a holster body (or, perhaps, a knife sheath) to the ammo carrier component.
    Last edited by Rex G; 07-04-2018 at 02:05 PM.

I don't want to be cavalier about muzzling people or myself either, but a gun in a properly made holster is about as safe as anything can be. A properly designed shoulder holster, with a thumb-break that encircles the hammer and/or goes between FP and hammer for a Cocked and Locked gun is just about as safe as can be.

Seriously, how many steps have to fail to get a hammer fired gun to go off in this mode?

1) The thumb break has to either come off - or be sufficiently weak to allow the hammer to move.
    2) On a 1911 you'll need the thumb safety to come off
    3) The grip safety has to be activated
    4) There has to be sufficient force to activate the trigger (a few pounds for a 1911, 8-12 for a TDA handgun, 6-8 for an LEM, 8-12 for a DA revolver).

That's a lot of steps to get a gun to go off in a shoulder holster. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's less likely than an AIWB ND with a Glock, that's for sure.

FYI - after this thread I spent awhile looking at various shoulder holster designs. Most horizontal designs are too high. Gun in the armpit is okay for concealment, but bad for getting a good grip on the gun. Ideally the gun is muzzle up, butt down or as near as possible. For many guns a 45-degree cant or thereabouts is perfect. After looking across about two dozen designs, the Galco Jackass is what I would go with, because the rear attachment point on the holster allows it to be adjusted across a range of butt down/muzzle up cants. The Andrews Monarch is a very close second and appears to have good angle adjustment too, the additional strap across the lowerback on the Andrews would be really nice for when one bends over.

Some of y’all are arguing with a straw man. Rosco didn’t assert that a holstered gun is dangerous; Rosco was an earnest student of defensive pistolcraft when many of us were in grade school and knows what’s up.

Rosco asserted that drawing a firearm from a horizontal shoulder holster is hard to do safely — both in terms of covering yourself and in being conscious of what else you’re flagging when reholstering. In the same sense that aiwb is in many ways the safest method of carry, because muzzle direction and holster fouling is as easy as it can be to watch and control, a HSH is a worst case scenario.

If they’re really needful then fine, but as a person who does ok with belt carry I’ve never risked buying one despite being a compulsive holster collector.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I have a high noon shoulder rig. Its the cheaper version they make. It is okay. At best. I bought it for a long gone vp9. But may try the p30 in her. I can see the merit of a quality rig though. It does have downsides. But I also do not mind rocking a ankle rig. I make some 1100 mile trips through the year. And while not ideal the ankle holster is comfortable and fast inside a vehicle. I have been entertaining the shoulder rig again. If nothing else to have my p30 on my person and spare reloads. I keep it in my pack riding shotgun. But that is not very fast and is pretty obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've pretty well spun this thread off the OPs question. So, now that we've all been schooled on how shoulder holsters are death incarnate, let's change directions and talk about the other redheaded step child of carry systems. OP, have you considered an ankle holster?
    Last edited by Trooper224; 07-05-2018 at 01:56 AM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    I had a serious bout of sciatica/L4/L5 disc slip in ‘16 which took me out of work for six weeks because I could not wear a duty belt. Nor could I tolerate belt carry off duty in civvies.
    My solution was a pocket carried airweight J Frame with one speed strip reload.
    Another poster brought up Mr. Null’s shoulder holsters. This along with the pocket may be a solution for two snub carry with the pocket one being the primary and the upside down shoulder carried one being accessible while seated or possibly accessible to the weak hand. Need to check KL Null’s webpage to see if either of his upside down rigs can be operated with the weak hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    We've pretty well spun this thread off the OPs question. So, now that we've all been schooled on how shoulder holsters are death incarnate, let's change directions and talk about the other redheaded step child of carry systems. OP, have you considered an ankle holster?
    The OP is relatively unimpressed with ankle holsters. I've had 3; a Galco leather, a Galco neoprene, (the Galcos were for Glock G26/G19s) and a Kramer horsehide (for a Smith & Wesson 640), and still have one-the Galco leather.

The Galco neoprene was pretty much a piece of junk-not well made or durable, and uncomfortable. The Kramer was fine up to a point, and very well made, but the all-steel 640 was somewhat uncomfortable to carry, so both the gun and the holster went away, hopefully to a more satisfied user.

The Galco leather is ok, but even with a light protective undersock still tends to chafe my leg in fairly short order. Do-able, even with a G19, but I'm not a huge fan, and would only go that route with it was situationally absolutely necessary.

Best, Jon

Thanks for everybody's input-it's all been exceptionally helpful for me in narrowing things down. I saw the doctor today, and he's optimistic that my aggravation will eventually go away-hopefully sooner than a lingering later.

I'm oriented now more towards either a horizontal ( e.g., Miami Classic) or butt-down (e.g., Jackass) rig. With the most likely pistol being dedicated to shoulder use being my P30L, what be the thoughts of these two types of rigs vis-a-vis the P30L's slightly longer (4.5") barrel?

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    I am 5’ 8”, 166 lb., and I can conceal a Glock 19 in a Miami Classic. That probably approaches my limit for really good concealment, although I have concealed larger guns in cheaper holsters. The Jackass rig will be more concealable, but will depend even more heavily on the retention strap to keep the gun secured, with most of the weight of the gun bearing down on that strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List