Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoulder Holster Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco Benson View Post
    Horizontal armpit holsters are bad ju-ju. Users usually muzzle their off-side arm while presenting or reholstering. The pistol ends up pointing at others. I will not stay in the area if a horizontal armpit holster is in use.

Even the vertical ones have issues. It is easy to get your shooting hand fouled in a necktie or just in the buttoned front of one's shirt as you try to present the pistol.

It might be better to stick with belt carry and wear suspenders to take the weight off the hips.

Rosco
    Most people muzzle themselves when holstering/unholstering a strong side OWB, too. There's a way to do it, and a way to not do it.....just the same as shoulder holsters.

Shoulder holsters have several disadvantages but there can be an appropriate use of them, as being discussed here where a medical condition precludes carry in a more conventional position. That does not mean they're "bad ju-ju"....it means the downsides should be considered and mitigated, if possible.

Otherwise it sounds like the OPs only other solution is to not have a gun at all....
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

This whole thread makes me wish that S&W made a good, 4" scandium, no-lock K-frame. As one who was a kid in the 70s, I don’t think anything could be more awesome than a lightweight K-frame .357 in a classic “Dirty Harry” shoulder rig. I’d even buy the tweed sportcoats with the patched elbows to go along with it.

http://www.lawmanleathergoods.com

Hmmm... snappy, bespoke sportcoats; serious concealed firepower backed up by furtively deployed edged weapons of questionable design and origin; a mean-ass left hook; patriarchal, plainclothes cop bearing... it’s like Harry Callahan was an earlier, taller version of Craig...

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Even the vertical ones have issues. It is easy to get your shooting hand fouled in a necktie or just in the buttoned front of one's shirt as you try to present the pistol.
    With a hammer fired gun it's also possible to damn near de-nipple yourself. Trust me.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

It is easy to get your shooting hand fouled in a necktie
    Not if you never wear the stupid things.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    With a hammer fired gun it's also possible to damn near de-nipple yourself. Trust me.
    OK, I'm having real trouble understanding how that happens. But I'm not sure I want to understand how it happens. #conflicted
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    Horizontal armpit holsters are bad ju-ju. Users usually muzzle their off-side arm while presenting or reholstering. The pistol ends up pointing at others. I will not stay in the area if a horizontal armpit holster is in use.

It might be better to stick with belt carry and wear suspenders to take the weight off the hips.

Rosco
    A pocket carried pistol is pointed at whoever is sitting across from the wearer. A belt carried pistol is pointed at anyone on the floor below the wearer. A fanny pack carried pistol is pointed at anyone next to the wearer. An AIWB carried pistol is pointed at the wearer’s own family jewels.

Suspenders would be more likely to catch a gun than a tie.

Some situations require solutions that some might consider to be suboptimal. There are much worse ways to carry a gun than a shoulder holster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Not if you never wear the stupid things.

OK, I'm having real trouble understanding how that happens. But I'm not sure I want to understand how it happens. #conflicted
    One thing I wanted to evaluate a shoulder holster for was "is it superior to a belt holster while in plain clothes and seat belted in". I got a Galco VHS and started a bunch of dry practice draw strokes in a variety of positions.

Let's say you are seated in the driver seat of your car. Let's say there's a (simulated) problem at the driver side window. Let's say you push your left shoulder back to get your arm out of the way, which pushes your chest forward as the back of the seat won't let your shoulder go back and your chest stay stationary. Then let's say you draw into that modified retention shooting position where the gun will be in front of your chest to shoot at the threat in the window.

It's entirely possible that you drag the pistol across your chest and the rear edge of the hammer digs in right in front of your nipple and you come close to de-nippling yourself. And that was the end of that dry fire session.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Rosco
    One major advantage of a horizontal shoulder holster is when suspected (but not confirmed!) trouble is afoot,an individual so armed can adopt a casual arms closed pose...with their primary hand now close to the sidearm, without brandishing or otherwise indicating overtly armed status.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I wonder how many folks that think a horizontal rig is dangerous, stick a striker fired gun in an AIWB rig lining the muzzle up with their junk?

Every method has risks. You deal with them.

I have an inexpensive little Galco Carry Lite rig for my snub SP101. Besides making me feel like a middle aged, slightly portly Steve McQueen wannabe, it works really nice for long drives. And yes, I DO have a sportcoat with elbow patches. Although it is gray denim and not tweed, I think it makes me look sophisticated. Especially if I wear a short turtleneck.

So there!

All kinds of CCW methods potentially or actually point muzzles at others or at important parts of oneself, at least momentarily, at least some of the time.

I think we get kinda superstitious about this, or perhaps overly pious about adhering to the "Four Rules", making a bigger fuss about it than is realistic, at least sometimes.

Suppose the inclination of your hip holster permits a person behind you to be briefly covered by your pistol's muzzle as you bend over and turn; is that totally unacceptable?

Suppose your vertical shoulder holster permits momentary muzzle coverage of ones's opposite arm or of someone behind you during carry or during the draw; is that a situation genuinely promoting an accidental discharge?

Not if your sidearm is in proper working order and is functioning correctly.
    Not if your finger isn't on the trigger.

No, I'm not being cavalier about muzzle consciousness, nor am I neglecting proper concern about matters of caution and care regarding firearms use.

Some people can't feel comfortable without religious and altogether-literal adherence to rules.
    I understand and am sympathetic to that, though I think we carry it unnecessarily far sometimes.

Be aware of who and what is near you if at some time you truly must draw your sidearm for sake of defense of self or others.

Otherwise, don't pretend that the muzzle of your holstered CCW always and only points toward guaranteed "safe" spaces, because it isn't the case.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    ...And that was the end of that dry fire session.
    "Alleged"

Alleged dry fire session.

User Tag List