Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoulder Holster Recommendations

Site Supporter
    A horizontal holster will not end up truly horizontal, but will much more often be angled with the muzzle pointed upward and the grip downward. This reduces the effective horizontal length which must be concealed. Maintaining this angle is one reason I dislike belt tie downs, and also one reason you will want a holster with very good retention.

Jon,

You and I are almost the exact same size. I have yet to find a horizontal rig that will let me carry a full sized gun. And vertical rigs often place the butt too high for me to get a good grip.

You might consider the inexpensive Galco Classic Lite to try. Otherwise an Alessi bodyguard with the pull-through snap.

To be honest though, the slickest and best shoulder rig I have ever used is an upside down Martin-style rig for a Colt D-frame. A lightweight gun like a Cobra or Agent disappears and is extremely comfortable for all day carry. I’ve done probably ~25,000 miles wearing that rig and gun comfort was never a problem.

An upside down rig for a compact-subcompact gun to consider is the Null USH/USH-X.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 07-02-2018 at 08:03 PM.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I have the Alessi Bodyguard and while naturally it has all of the drawbacks of any shoulder holster, it sure carries nicely.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I have the Alessi Bodyguard and while naturally it has all of the drawbacks of any shoulder holster, it sure carries nicely.
    And considering Misanthropists uses of a shoulder holster are quite a bit more.....vigorous.....than the average bear, I think that endorsement speaks volumes.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I'll certainly consider a horizontal, so as long as it'll sufficiently conceal the P30L.

Best, Jon
    I never had any trouble concealing a 5" 1911.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    And considering Misanthropists uses of a shoulder holster are quite a bit more.....vigorous.....than the average bear, I think that endorsement speaks volumes.
    It's one of those things where you kinda want the belt loops, but then you can't take off your pants. We've all got crosses to bear.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

I use them when my back/spine has flare ups.

I use a Galco Miami Classic with the SSH Harness which makes it much more comfortable for me.

As I drive 5+ days a week as a profession, and most of it at night, I too have considered a shoulder holster rig. I carry a VP9 w/ SF X300 in an old RCS Phantom IWB. Unfortunately, nobody seems to make a shoulder holster, vertical or horizontal, for such a gun/light setup. It's a bummer. Galco makes a vertical shoulder holster for a P226/X300 combo, and Mike at Galco was supposed to advise how a VP9 or P30 w/ X300 would fit, but I havent heard back, so I take that as not a positive sign.

I did note that they now list the P30 as a normal component, which they didnt when I last investigated this.
    Last edited by Brian T; 07-03-2018 at 01:50 AM.

Horizontal armpit holsters are bad ju-ju. Users usually muzzle their off-side arm while presenting or reholstering. The pistol ends up pointing at others. I will not stay in the area if a horizontal armpit holster is in use.

Even the vertical ones have issues. It is easy to get your shooting hand fouled in a necktie or just in the buttoned front of one's shirt as you try to present the pistol.

It might be better to stick with belt carry and wear suspenders to take the weight off the hips.

Rosco

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I'd look hard at the Sam Andrews Monarch rig. I had a Solo rig for a Kahr that was superb.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Sam Makes outstanding leather!
    He does indeed! I had the Solo and a McDaniel II for a K40, and stupidly included them in the trade for a G27. I now have a K9 and a CW9, and although I love my JM and CCC holsters for them, I sure wish I still had those Andrews rigs.

Back on topic........for a horizontal rig, you want to try to have the holster as high as you can in the armpit.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List