Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoulder Holster Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I had a good follow up discussion with El Paso Saddlery today; they can block the #200 holster body so that it can be interchangeably be used for both the P30L and VP40; that's good news.

Glock still might be a contender; I'm mulling that over.

Chuck, thanks for muddying the waters with the Beretta 92 suggestion....I've been considering that as well. While I'm thinking a polymer-framed pistol might be a tad more easier/comfortable with a shoulder holster from a weight/balance standpoint (and length-my 92D is fairly long, with an overall length of some 8.5" with a 4.9" barrel).

Best, Jon
    Not sure about length, but as far as weight I found a P229 to be supremely comfortable in a shoulder holster.

Except for guys with back problems, most of us that do have a shoulder rig typically only wear them when seated in a vehicle for an entire day (like when assigned as a driver), so my experience is limited in that regard.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Chuck,

I agree about the retention strap on that El Paso rig - non-starter.

Do you think the Jackass rig’s holster angle contributed to the relative unpleasantness of carrying your G27? IOW, would a horizontal holster (Miami Classic, for example) work better?

I hope so, since I just ordered one to try with my G26. But if it doesn’t work out, at least it’s usable with a longer slide Glock, so I can hopefully find a happy place. And if not, I can put a Beretta holster on the rig.
    I think it was more weight distribution. I'd had a Sam Andrews Solo shoulder rig for Kahr K40 that was supremely comfortable. I attempted to duplicate that with a Glock Jackass rig by replacing the off-side with an elastic setup. With the 27, ALL the weight is in the butt of the gun, and gravity just wanted to have its way. I used both successfully under a zipped leather bomber jacket and tucked in button-up shirts, but the 27's weight distribution was out of whack. (The shoulder harness points were at the muzzle and ejection port) I didn't try it a lot with the 23 or 22, and that could've made a difference. I still have the Jackass rig + pieces.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 07-11-2018 at 04:29 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I had a good follow up discussion with El Paso Saddlery today; they can block the #200 holster body so that it can be interchangeably be used for both the P30L and VP40; that's good news.

Glock still might be a contender; I'm mulling that over.

Chuck, thanks for muddying the waters with the Beretta 92 suggestion....I've been considering that as well. While I'm thinking a polymer-framed pistol might be a tad more easier/comfortable with a shoulder holster from a weight/balance standpoint (and length-my 92D is fairly long, with an overall length of some 8.5" with a 4.9" barrel).

Best, Jon
    1) How do the overall dimensions compare between the P30L and the 92D?

2) Compare the balance point between the two with fully loaded magazines. The more weight toward the butt, the more it's going to want to droop and or swing. With the horizontal rig, the more weight toward the center of the gun or muzzle, the better. Weight distribution is more important than total weight.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 07-11-2018 at 04:36 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Except for guys with back problems, most of us that do have a shoulder rig typically only wear them when seated in a vehicle for an entire day (like when assigned as a driver), so my experience is limited in that regard.
    My use was as a BUG under a sport coat, or when an untucked shirt was contraindicated. Worked nicely at my kids' functions in the school gym with a partially zipped short bomber jacket and a spare mag in a pocket carrier.
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    My use was as a BUG under a sport coat, or when an untucked shirt was contraindicated. Worked nicely at my kids' functions in the school gym with a partially zipped short bomber jacket and a spare mag in a pocket carrier.
    I’ve used a shoulder rig under a tucked in button down shirt. If I need it quickly I just do the Superman and rip the shirt open. You do have to be careful if it’s a place where people hug. Go low and force their arms up over yours. Lol!

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I’ve used a shoulder rig under a tucked in button down shirt. If I need it quickly I just do the Superman and rip the shirt open. You do have to be careful if it’s a place where people hug. Go low and force their arms up over yours. Lol!
    think of how impressive it would be if you wore it under a tucked in t-shirt, and instead of doing the Superman, you did the Hulk Hogan
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    think of how impressive it would be if you wore it under a tucked in t-shirt, and instead of doing the Superman, you did the Hulk Hogan
    Lol! Seeing me shirtless would scare away any attacker.

I don't know why I did not think to mention this earlier, and I don't know if it would help the OP.

However, for other people with back problems or other people who are simply in the business of carrying a lot of weight on their belt for extended periods of time, I strongly recommend looking into Perry suspenders. I personally wear the uBEE model, which essentially mimics an elastic shoulder holster harness system that Clips to each side of your belt. In addition to taking weight off of the hips and turning a gun belt and suspenders set up into what is essentially load-bearing equipment, it also allows me to mount equipment to it such as a tourniquet and my radio wires. Some people put other stuff on it, like a flashlight, small pocket knife (so it doesn't tear up their suit pocket), etc.

I have the more ubiqitous traditional 3-clip attachment Perry's too, and they also work well and are generally easier to work around equipment on your belt. However, those suspenders have a habit of wanting to come off my shoulders and need frequent readjusting in this regard, as well as my findings that I can foul my draw with the front right suspenders. Hence, I switched to the uBEE, which has the attachment points right at the two heaviest points on my belt: the gun on the right side, and between the double mag pouches and radio on the left.

Highly suggested. Perry's are extremely popular at my job for all of the above reasons, and while it might not help someone with a shoulder injury who can't easily reach their gun at 3 O'clock, I think they should be your first attempted solution if you have some ailment prior to making the big cash investment into a shoulder holster that has so many down sides and moves the gun from a position where you've spent a lifetime building reps and muscle memory.

Perry uBEE is here: http://perrysuspenders.com/2uborpesu.html
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Regarding the Perry uBEE suspenders...

Does that model cause problems with holster placement for a strongside IWB/OWB holster?
    Last edited by JTQ; 07-13-2018 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    ...for other people with back problems or other people who are simply in the business of carrying a lot of weight on their belt for extended periods of time, I strongly recommend looking into Perry suspenders. I personally wear the uBEE model, which essentially mimics an elastic shoulder holster harness system that Clips to each side of your belt. In addition to taking weight off of the hips and turning a gun belt and suspenders set up into what is essentially load-bearing equipment, it also allows me to mount equipment to it such as a tourniquet and my radio wires. Some people put other stuff on it, like a flashlight, small pocket knife (so it doesn't tear up their suit pocket), etc.

I have the more ubiqitous traditional 3-clip attachment Perry's too, and they also work well and are generally easier to work around equipment on your belt. However, those suspenders have a habit of wanting to come off my shoulders and need frequent readjusting in this regard, as well as my findings that I can foul my draw with the front right suspenders. Hence, I switched to the uBEE, which has the attachment points right at the two heaviest points on my belt: the gun on the right side, and between the double mag pouches and radio on the left.

Highly suggested.

Glad you posted that.

I've used the Perry 3-point suspenders in this manner for over 20 years.

Since as a professional wearing business-type clothing I carry just behind the hip rather than AIWB, the 2-point uBEE Perry's are the ones that foul the draw for me, not the regular 3-point type (left and right front-lateral and central-posterior belt clips).

I've found that judicious adjustment of the shoulder strap lengths obviates the potential problem with a strap slipping off a shoulder.

Sidearm, reloads, knife, keys & pager add up to a load that would sag and tilt if suspended wholly by the belt at the area between waist & hips, and the added support of the Perry's suspenders is a real boon.

I've tried and used all their differing-strength types at different times (Original, 2" Ruf-N-Tuf, 2" Construction) for guns of differing weights, and found the 2" Ruf-N-Tuf to be the most versatile and broadly applicable.

The Perry's suspenders in effect give you belt-level CCW concealment-access benefits combined with the back-relieving support of a shoulder rig.

Definitely recommended for those who feel a need for such.

"Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

User Tag List