Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoulder Holster Recommendations

Shoulder Holster Recommendations

I know, I know-they're not ideal, and can be cumbersome and expensive. I know I can't use them in IDPA.

Unfortunately, what seems to be some sciatic nerve issues with my back may be a causal factor in me having to move away from belt holsters (hopefully only temporarily, if it does in fact become necessary).

At this point, the weapon I'd likely carry in a shoulder holster would be my P30L, but I'd also possibly consider my Beretta 92D, HK VP40 or Glock (G17 or G19).

At this point, due to their expense and possibly limited use, I'll likely only get one rig.

What are some specific recommendations/thoughts you can pass on?

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 07-02-2018 at 12:48 PM.

First question since I don't know your size or shape: vertical or horizontal orientation of sidearm?
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

5'8", 195 lbs, prefer vertical orientation.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Most of my use of shoulder holsters has been with a horizontal orientation, so that may limit my ability to make recommendations.

Try to get one with a figure-8 harness, with a double spare magazine pouch under the opposite arm. Properly adjusted, a figure-8 harness will keep the pressure from the harness away from the back of your neck.

Adjust the shoulder straps tightly enough so that the gun and magazine pouch is relatively high on your torso, but not so high that the lower end is being pulled out by the straps. This way, when you bend at the waist, the gun and magazine pouch will not flop forward. Everything will also conceal better in this position.

I have not found belt tie-downs to be helpful. When I reach upward or forward, they tend to pull the gun into a position wherein it is more likely to print.

For specific recommendations, I have had very good experience with Galco (Miami Classic) and Kramer. Between the two, if I were buying again today, I would buy a Galco Miami Classic. Galco makes a vertical holster with the same shoulder strap setup. I would also suggest looking into Alessi and FIST.

My Dad used to use a Bianchi X15, which is a vertical holster with an open front that retains the gun using a flat spring within the holster body. Unfortunately it does not use the figure 8 harness. I have not worn it myself, so I cannot comment on comfort.

I’d do a fixed blade in a more accessible position and not worry the limitations cross body carry creates.

But that’s just me.

I'd look hard at the Sam Andrews Monarch rig. I had a Solo rig for a Kahr that was superb.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

The Galco rigs really can't be beat, the Jackass, Miami Classic, etc. I know you stated vertical, but several years of wearing one showed me horizontal is really the best overall. They're also modular if you want to buy components for more than one gun, priced better than custom options and quicker to obtain.

Hint: whatever you get, choose one with a figure eight or four point harness like the Galco. When adjusting the straps make sure you take more slack out of the straps running under your arms rather than those going up over your shoulders. This will pull the swivel attachment done to a position between your shoulder blades, or close to it. This is the proper fit and a great aid in comfort. A lot of the criticism of shoulder holster comfort comes from users not knowing how to adjust them.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

For a quality balanced vertical shoulder rig, Lou Alessi's Fieldmaster is the best choice IME.
    A vertical shoulder rig will almost always be more concealable (given a proper cover garment) than a horizontal rig, for a larger pistol.

The example I have for the 1911 is masterful in both design and construction.

The disadvantages of shoulder rigs are considerably minimized, and the draw is simply a grab 'n' pull proposition, with no thumb breaks or other impediments to overcome; there's a tilting inner sleeve that directly holds the pistol, which swivels in an outer frame that links to the belt.

(They're no longer made by Lou himself, of course, but the family members and associates who carry on the company are still quite good, and I have the same model, posthumously made, for the G19, so I can vouch for current production quality.)

I used to make considerable use of shoulder rigs, and will still use one for longer car trips.
    They definitely fill a niche for those with back problems that make belt carry difficult, and especially if you sit down a lot, they definitely permit easier sidearm access than a hip-location holster.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I'd look hard at the Sam Andrews Monarch rig. I had a Solo rig for a Kahr that was superb.
    Sam Makes outstanding leather!

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    The Galco rigs really can't be beat, the Jackass, Miami Classic, etc. I know you stated vertical, but several years of wearing one showed me horizontal is really the best overall. They're also modular if you want to buy components for more than one gun, priced better than custom options and quicker to obtain.

Hint: whatever you get, choose one with a figure eight or four point harness like the Galco. When adjusting the straps make sure you take more slack out of the straps running under your arms rather than those going up over your shoulders. This will pull the swivel attachment done to a position between your shoulder blades, or close to it. This is the proper fit and a great aid in comfort. A lot of the criticism of shoulder holster comfort comes from users not knowing how to adjust them.
    I'll certainly consider a horizontal, so as long as it'll sufficiently conceal the P30L.

Best, Jon

User Tag List