Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder Holster Recommendations

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    The holster I ordered isnt really a duty a holster. It's more of an OWB concealment holster.
    I doubt that a belt holster would make a good starting point for a shoulder holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Update: p-f member O3RN was very kind in providing me his like-new Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster for Glocks, nominally for the compact G19-sized Glocks, but equally usable for full-sized G17/G22 pistols, for an extended test period.

My thoughts and conclusions: As some of you mentioned, the horizontal set-up was perfectly acceptable, both from a concealment and draw standpoint. It seems optimized for the compact Glocks, but the full-sized ones didn't excessively protrude or print when carried. Unless I was choosing a shoulder holster for a longer than compact-to-standard sized slide pistol, I would now likely select a horizontal carry set-up

While viable, I never really warmed up to the shoulder holster system for routine carry. While concealable and comfortable enough, drawing the gun successfully required both hands-one to draw the weapon out of the holster, and another to maintain a hold on the holster to stabilize it to facilitate the draw. Drawing a reload magazine was somewhat difficult and cumbersome; if I do ultimately decide to get a shoulder holster, I'll likely specify one with a single magazine pouch and carry any further reload magazine(s) on a belt pouch.

For non-concealed field carry, I much prefer a tanker-style shoulder holster, which I find to be inherently more stable and easy to draw from; but unless your concealment garment is sufficiently bulky and/or loose, concealment is a significant issue with a tanker.

The good news is that my lower back/nerve issues seem to have gone away, and my physical therapist is coming up with some good exercises to stave off recurrences (hopefully). If I do go the shoulder holster route, I will probably choose one for a striker-fired pistol, either for my HK VP40 or Glocks. I would probably go with one of El Paso Saddlery's offerings, but the Galco holster was pretty decent. I might also explore utilizing belt tie-down straps for both the holster and magazine pouch for better draw stability (particularly to facilitate one-handed drawing), or at least having removable ones as a scenario/clothing driven option.

O3RN, again, many thanks-your lending of the holster without any constraints or time limits was much appreciated-the p-f brotherhood is alive and well.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 09-30-2018 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    While concealable and comfortable enough, drawing the gun successfully required both hands-one to draw the weapon out of the holster, and another to maintain a hold on the holster to stabilize it to facilitate the draw. Drawing a reload magazine was somewhat difficult and cumbersome; if I do ultimately decide to get a shoulder holster, I'll likely specify one with a single magazine pouch and carry any further reload magazine(s) on a belt pouch.
    I suspect the rig was too low and too loose. It’s possible the leather wasn’t broken in either. You should be able to draw one handed. The holster should be more in the armpit than many realize. It kills me to see our DoD wearing them so low the gun is almost at belt level.

The rig from Andrews Leather has a strap across the back that helps stabilize the rig without attaching it to your pants.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I suspect the rig was too low and too loose. It’s possible the leather wasn’t broken in either. You should be able to draw one handed. The holster should be more in the armpit than many realize. It kills me to see our DoD wearing them so low the gun is almost at belt level.

The rig from Andrews Leather has a strap across the back that helps stabilize the rig without attaching it to your pants.
    This was my thought as well when I read of the lack of stability. I never needed tie downs when wearing a horizontal shoulder holster. I also found that tie downs tend to pull the gun into a position wherein it is more likely to print when reaching upward.

Galco’s Miami Classic is one of my favorite shoulder holsters.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter

I got a Miami Classic at about the same time as the one discussed. I had to add a hole to the holster side strap to get it to ride satisfactorily.

I've only carried a G26 in it. Works well, doesn't require two hands to draw.

Site Supporter
    I tried four shoulder rig brands including Galco and Null. They did not work for me. Comfort and fit were my complaints. I gave away a lot of expensive leather.

El Cid and BillSWPA, thanks for the comments; while the holster definitely wasn't hanging down to belt level, there doubtlessly was some surplus space to where it could have been snugged up tighter against my armpit, which would have facilitated drawing. Breaking in probably would have helped as well, as it appeared to be virtually brand new (or O3RN may just take exceptionally good care of his kit).

Bill good advice against tie-down straps-thanks.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    If the holster is right up against the armpit, the straps will pull the end of the grip outward. However, if it is no more than a few inches below the armpit, it will ride right up against your side and be quite stable. Finding the right balance may take some trial and error.

<snip>
    Where to wear the holster really depends on the gun, holster, and your body type. I'm 6'1" and 201-215lbs. Up in the armpit, anything as larger or larger than a G19 starts to rub my bicep raw. Carrying lower, which is more comfortable for me, I clamp the holster down with my left arm (if needed) and draw with my right. I prefer the vertical shoulder holsters that attach to the belt at the bottom.

Maybe if/when I get down to 180lbs things will change.

ETA: armpit to bicep
    Last edited by Tod-13; 10-02-2018 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    If the holster is right up against the armpit, the straps will pull the end of the grip outward. However, if it is no more than a few inches below the armpit, it will ride right up against your side and be quite stable. Finding the right balance may take some trial and error.
    Definitely trial and error. For my body, I have it about 4-6 inches below the armpit, in the dip of the "pear shaped body".

User Tag List