Thread: Ohio Tactical Officers Association 2018 Conference: Observations

Ohio Tactical Officers Association 2018 Conference: Observations

I recently conducted three one-day ‘Accelerating Handgun Skills’ classes at the request of the Ohio Tactical Officers Association (OTOA) for the 2018 Training Conference. Across nearly 60 students there were some distinct trends and several anecdotal points that some may find interesting.

Students were all LE, predominantly from Ohio with a sprinkling from different states and countries. There were a healthy mix of instructors, SWAT/SRT types, patrol, corrections, and supervisors. The data set is interesting to me not so much due to its size but for its concentration; a group that self selected to 1) attend a week long training conference and 2) sign up for a class that explicitly advertised as intermediate level with challenging standards.

-It’s a Glock world. Nearly 3/4 of the officers were shooting some type of Glock- almost all with standard triggers and OEM sights. There were maybe four aftermarket triggers and perhaps six sight upgrades. The non- G crowd included a strong showing of DA/SA SIGs, six M&Ps, one 320 X, and one HK VP9.
    ----Yes, but… The stronger shooters across the classes were disproportionately represented by non Glock. The high shooters across benchmark drills were split evenly between Glock and other platforms. This is consistent with other classes I’ve taught. I suspect that there may be as much correlation here as causation.

-DA/SA is either a handicap or not- and the difference is largely in the shooter’s mind. As is typical DA/SA shooters either excelled in both modes or struggled mightily to hit with the first shot after receiving the exact same coaching. It seems some shooters simply can’t believe they could roll the DA and hit. Others were rocking DAO/DAK and doing admirably.

-Thumbs forward is now, finally, fully mainstream. Only two shooters, both seasoned vets, were using Weaver while the rest of the diverse group had a functional thumbs forward approach. Most needed tweaking to get the grip optimally anchored and working for them.

-Weaponlights are gaining momentum. Close to one third of the group had some type of weaponlight on the handgun.

-Many small departments still ‘start with .4’. There were a notable amount of .40 and .45 ACP pistols on the line; many of the shooters were anxious to switch to 9mm but waiting on budget or approval. It was a useful reminder as some drill standards, particularly aggressive ones, are ‘baselined’ by an instructor shooting a tuned 9mm. Tough nut for a student shooting a stock .40 or .45.

-RMRs are everywhere on the internet but still a rarity in the armed professions. There was a single RMR on the line and it was in the hands of a shooter who had just installed it.

There was considerable talent on the firing line with about a third of each class performing by the end of class at what I would look for in an instructor or special team guy and the balance on their way. For example there were two 99s on the 5 yard round up and a bunch in the 90s, all done the hard way; alone and on the timer with the whole class watching. Performance on more complex drills was equally encouraging. Ohio is in good hands.

The conference itself was very impressive; 1500+ students, over 50 instructors, a large vendor show/range demo, and training spread out across a large network of nearby ranges. Marquee trainers at this year’s event included Forge Tactical, Reston Group, Centrifuge, Modern Samurai Project, Presscheck Consulting, Lead Faucet,Tap Rack Tactical, and many LE agency instructors with specific areas of expertise. A great event for those who are able to go.
    ---Justin Dyal

It was a good conference. I was in one of the red dot pistol classes AsianJedi taught. Based on the conversations during that class I’d say we will be seeing more and more MRDS equipped pistols in the hands of Ohio LEOs in the future.

For the money it’s tough to beat the OTOA conference. It’s the first one I’ve attended as a student. Was a lot of fun.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Have been only hearing good things about this state conference.

User Tag List