Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Best battle rifle under 1800$

I had one of these for a bit, I ended up selling it off to a buddy who wanted it for hunting back home but I put several hundred (admittedly not a lot) rounds of various milsurp .308 and 7.62x51 ammo through it and did not have any accuracy issues or performance problems. There are some proprietary parts on it, to include the charging handle, which is annoying, but not insurmountable. Honestly out of the box the gun is pretty set up for just adding a optic and light of your choice and starting to shoot. During the time that I had it I ran it as a battle rifle with a Aimpoint Comp M4 and a light and also as a DMR with a Vortex Razor mounted. It performed well at both of those roles. Best thing- price is around 1500 or so.... Typically I'm loath to recommend Sig to anyone but their long guns seem to be pretty good anymore

Name:  Sig Tread AR10.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  4.1 KB
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Revisiting this thread, because road rage is such a thing, now. I have been followed, twice, recently, by angry drivers, in vehicles which could easily outrun my V6 Tundra, so, “running away” was not an option. The plan, if one persists in following, is to calmly get off the road, and calmy park near solid cover, or, broken terrain that would favor The Prepared, but, then what? The G3 clone, perhaps with Spuhr furniture, is starting to look like a good idea, yet again.

Yes, of course, the Benelli, loaded with 12 gauge Tru-Ball Penetrators, is the answer, but, this is the Rifles and Carbines section of the forums.

Edited to add: Yes, I know, I would probably have to solve the problem with a big pistol, because I do not “keep” a long gun in the truck.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Revisiting this thread, because road rage is such a thing, now. I have been followed, twice, recently, by angry drivers, in vehicles which could easily outrun my V6 Tundra, so, “running away” was not an option. The plan, if one persists in following, is to calmly get off the road, and calmy park near solid cover, or, broken terrain that would favor The Prepared, but, then what? The G3 clone, perhaps with Spuhr furniture, is starting to look like a good idea, yet again.

Yes, of course, the Benelli, loaded with 12 gauge Tru-Ball Penetrators, is the answer, but, this is the Rifles and Carbines section of the forums.

Edited to add: Yes, I know, I would probably have to solve the problem with a big pistol, because I do not “keep” a long gun in the truck.
    Rex, I'd suggest continuing to drive in the direction of the nearest LE agency until they do something beyond following you. I wouldn't, however, drive to my neighborhood with them following me. Heck, drive to the ER or a fire department.

I'm not sure how sympathetic a jury would be to a guy who 'calmly got off the road, calmly parked near cover' after the gunfight. I'm sure the prosecutor/plaintiffs attorney would paint that as you challenging poor Mr. X, who only honked at you, to a fight.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Revisiting this thread, because road rage is such a thing, now. I have been followed, twice, recently, by angry drivers
    Is there something different you could do in your driving habits?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Savage is actually building some very nice (and under rated) AR’s.

The Savage MSR-10 meets the OP’s price ceiling.
    I'd like to hear your impressions of the Savage rifles, both 5.56 and 7.62x51, if you would care to share.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Well, I could get myself a helicopter.

In one case, a totally proper and legal lane change, preceded by signaling, was seen as a personal affront. The left lane, ahead, was closed, so everyone had to move to the right lane. He was far behind me, in the same lane, at the time I started changing lanes. The second incident involved my making a totally proper left turn, into the correct lane, at an intersection where the two left lanes could turn left. I guess that he thought that only the left lane could turn left, and felt that I needed a lesson in what he thought was legal. In each case, the other driver was clearly incorrect. (I enforced the Texas Traffic Code, for 33+ years.) I returned gestures in neither case. No escalation on my part.

Houston police are really thinly distributed, lately, for the obvious reasons, while so many drivers’ sense of entitlement, “MY road,” has been indexing upward. The above incidents occurred in what can best be described as “southwest” Houston, specifically Alief, a particularly anarchic part of town. I reckon that I could avoid driving in that part of Houston. (No racism intended…)
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-11-2022 at 06:39 PM.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    I had one of these for a bit, I ended up selling it off to a buddy who wanted it for hunting back home but I put several hundred (admittedly not a lot) rounds of various milsurp .308 and 7.62x51 ammo through it and did not have any accuracy issues or performance problems. There are some proprietary parts on it, to include the charging handle, which is annoying, but not insurmountable. Honestly out of the box the gun is pretty set up for just adding a optic and light of your choice and starting to shoot. During the time that I had it I ran it as a battle rifle with a Aimpoint Comp M4 and a light and also as a DMR with a Vortex Razor mounted. It performed well at both of those roles. Best thing- price is around 1500 or so.... Typically I'm loath to recommend Sig to anyone but their long guns seem to be pretty good anymore

Name:  Sig Tread AR10.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  4.1 KB
    Truly interesting. Thanks for posting this.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    That's pretty funny but I know what he's talking about. If you go too slow or get caught in the wrong lane people get angry. Heck, I even had a guy come after me because he thought I should have made a dangerous entry onto a highway from a stop sign. He actually got out of his car and approached my vehicle with a metal pipe. Of course he would have died for his very poor judgement if had used that pipe. I left him standing in the road with his pipe. There's people out there just looking for a confrontation no matter how you drive.

I think I'm a pretty normal driver. I haven't had any ins. claims or tickets in about 20 years and I still get the odd ball who flips me off and tail gates me when I'm doing the limit. Strange times we live in.
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-11-2022 at 07:22 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

@Rex G
    @Borderland

Note that I’m not saying anything regarding being a legal, safe or good driver.

If I see someone driving aggressively, I generally try to GTFO the way… way before they get to me.

That’s not always possible, but I try and give rabid dogs wide berths.

Not saying that there was anything you could have done differently. Just asking if there are mitigation steps that are independent of “being a safe and good driver” that could avoid having to plan for a long gun fight.

Site Supporter
    @Rex G don’t you have a rattler or another pistol in .300 BO? That should do car windows and auto bodies just fine I would think and be a lot easier to deal with putting in or taking out of a car all the time.

FWIW around here we’ve seen a big rise in car to car shootings where they don’t wait until people stop or get out of cars they just open up with rifle caliber pistols or pistols with ‘stendos while both cars are still driving. So I reckon situational awareness and good driving skills would be more important that shooting back in that scenario (that’s what I tell myself since I drive al it for work, though fortunately rarely deal with road rage)

Best I can tell from media reports (in reality not much) some of these are targeted, but a few seem pretty random.

User Tag List