Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Best battle rifle under 1800$

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    Even with the integral bases, the scope is very high above the iron sights.
    True, and M1A /M14’s have several other negatives as well.

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    Even with the integral bases, the scope is very high above the iron sights.
    Works for me.
    Name:  10219h.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  29.8 KB
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    True, and M1A /M14’s have several other negatives as well.
    Please name a weapon free of negatives.
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

Quote Originally Posted by zeleny View Post
    My interpretation of this. There are no weapons without negatives. But there are weapons that have a far longer CON to PRO list. So you may have one or two negatives with one and a lot with another. We all have to judge for ourselves what the pros and cons of each is for our own personal use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter

None but M14 has the more negatives than it’s contemporaries the FAL and the G3, all three of which are inferior to curremt AR-10s or the SCAR.

Despite the myth of the M14, there are legitimate reasons the M14 had the shortest service life of an U.S. Service rifle.

Besides being unsuited to optics, the M14 is, essentially, an upside down AK. Rack grade M14s are capable of mechanical accuracy in the 3 to 6 MOA Range. You can do a variety of voodo and chicken bone fixes to get the gun to shoot better but you have to take it out of the stock to maintain the gun and every time you take it out of the stock you are degrading the improved accuracy.

The M14 is also prone to malfunctions if the mag is rested on anything, something which was subseqntly mis-attributed to the M16.

For all it’s failings, the M14 is an actual battle rifle and a far better choice for fighting than a bolt or lever gun.
    Last edited by HCM; 07-08-2018 at 12:21 PM.

Site Supporter
    How much does that weigh? "battle rifle" implies that it will be carried a whole lot more than it will be shot.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    How much does that weigh? "battle rifle" implies that it will be carried a whole lot more than it will be shot.
    About 20 pounds as shown. Not quite as much as this one, now that it wears US Optics’ MST-100 backed up by Trijicon RMR. And that’s before adding a bipod up front and a monopod in the back.

Heavy metal rules the roost.
    Name:  Turnbull08.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  20.3 KB

Conceptually, I think "battle rifle" is a LARPing term, best suited to imaginary war games. In the book series I am writing, the protagonist, a French Foreign Legion Officer - carries a MAS 49/56 MSE with a scope/off-set mount red-dot and a Manurhin MR73 - because fiction...my character can hump a billion pounds if he needs to. Also, everything that he ships appears magically where it is supposed to be, he never has logistical problems that actually exist.

Meanwhile, back in reality, if I was shipping out tomorrow for all points Syria please give me an Colt 6940 with an LPV and light and as many magazines as I can stuff into my kit OR an Arsenal or Valmet AK side-folder with an Aimpoint, flashlight, and as many magazines as I can fit into my kit.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Conceptually, I think "battle rifle" is a LARPing term, best suited to imaginary war games. In the book series I am writing, the protagonist, a French Foreign Legion Officer - carries a MAS 49/56 MSE with a scope/off-set mount red-dot and a Manurhin MR73 - because fiction...my character can hump a billion pounds if he needs to. Also, everything that he ships appears magically where it is supposed to be, he never has logistical problems that actually exist.

Meanwhile, back in reality, if I was shipping out tomorrow for all points Syria please give me an Colt 6940 with an LPV and light and as many magazines as I can stuff into my kit OR an Arsenal or Valmet AK side-folder with an Aimpoint, flashlight, and as many magazines as I can fit into my kit.
    7.62 nato rifles battle rifles are niche items.

Shooting through light cover, shooting at longer ranges 300 to 600/800 with enough ass to do damage and doing double duty vs large animals. There may be more but that is a start.

Other wise, for general purpose - yeah 5.56 all day.

Best battle rifle under 1800$

20 pounds??? Dude. My 6.5G is under 8 lbs with a scope and suppressor.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 07-08-2018 at 03:40 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List