Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best battle rifle under 1800$

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I had an M&P10 a few years back. I never found it to be enough for anything, but maybe I wanted too much out of it. In other words, not accurate enough to be a precision gun. Not compact enough to use as a carbine. Not reliable enough with a suppressor (not to mention massive shift due to the barrel profile).

If you google around you can find some detailed pics and reports on my setup. I wouldn't consider it to be "duty" rated and from a hunting perspective, it's bigger, and more expensive than a bolt gun.

Honestly, for my needs, I determined that a 5.56 with good ammo (64gr Gold dots in my case) filled all the roles I thought I needed a battle rifle for. YMMV.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?29251-The-One
    5.56 is no go in my state for hunting. I have been using 75gr gold dots and it hits hard for what it is. Destroyed a couple groundhogs with her. Thank you for the m&p info. Seems to be the larue might be my decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    5.56 is no go in my state for hunting. I have been using 75gr gold dots and it hits hard for what it is. Destroyed a couple groundhogs with her. Thank you for the m&p info. Seems to be the larue might be my decision.

In that case, 6.8x43 SPCII or 6.5 Grendel would be the way I would go. More compact, lighter receiver. Effective hunting cartridges at normal deer ranges, both have been used with success in elk (though that wouldn’t be my first choice), and the Grendel has a following for long range target shooting.

We have a 16” 6.8. Works.

Best battle rifle under 1800$

I have to say, I love my 6.5 Grendel. It's got .308 ballistics in an AR-15 package. Easy reloading, and plenty of factory ammo. Even cheap Wolf steel case for 20/$5. Very minimal recoil. And since it's low pressure it has a basically unlimited barrel life.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 07-03-2018 at 08:11 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I have to say, I love my 6.5 Grendel. It's got .308 ballistics in an AR-15 package. Easy reloading, and plenty of factory ammo. Even cheap Wolf steel case for 20/$5. Very minimal recoil. And since it's low pressure it has a basically unlimited barrel life.
    I may be mistaken, and I'm out of my lane commenting on rifle issues that aren't related to issued weapons, but I thought the 6.5G had reliability issues due to it's overall shape/profile? I thought I remembered reading that it requires a very specific magazine design to work well - or has that changed?

It requires a 6.5G magazine, but with quality mags like the eLander from AA, reliability isn’t an issue. I have had zero malfunctions with mine.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    The M1A and FAL do not have good scope mounting options.
    The LRB M25 can be had within the OP’s budget.
    Last edited by zeleny; 07-06-2018 at 01:06 PM.
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

Our own @P.E. Kelley has reviewed the Savage MSR-10 - which is one of the guns I'd be very interested in this price bracket (in fact it is one of the guns I'm very interested in, because 6.5CM availability).

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Our own @P.E. Kelley has reviewed the Savage MSR-10 - which is one of the guns I'd be very interested in this price bracket (in fact it is one of the guns I'm very interested in, because 6.5CM availability).
    I looked at the savage. It seems really solid for the price point.

Okay, I believe for now I am going to put a lpv on my ar and use that for everything but hunting. I will have to just use my savage 99 for hunting. I thought a lot about what everyone has said and the 5.56 will take care of a lot of my needs. But I need to put some good glass on it. Then in the future when I can afford the 308 that I really want I can transfer glass to it. Thanks again!

I am looking at.

Vortex razor 2e
    Uso 1-6 svs
    Bushnell elite 1-6.5

That will greatly improve the use of my ar and should make for a very reliable scope.

Quote Originally Posted by zeleny View Post
    The LRB M25 can be had within the OP’s budget.
    Even with the integral bases, the scope is very high above the iron sights.

User Tag List