Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best battle rifle under 1800$

If I had to have a .308 semi - I’d really want a FAL. But in your case the need for optics mounting out weighs everything else. I would buy an AR10 of some type and be done. Depending on what you want - a M&P10 may work just fine. If you want to get fancy, a DPMS-pattern lower, with a JP side-charging upper. Barrel it to your specs.

Best battle rifle under 1800$

I’ve seen a bunch of folks try to keep AR15s and AR10s running in rain, mud, and dust at precision rifle matches. JP rifles (and any gun with JP anything in it) had by far the most problems. Even under ideal conditions.

I’d go with LaRue, GAP, or Seekins if your budget allows.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 07-02-2018 at 11:42 AM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I have narrowed it down to a larue build or s&w I believe.

The larue has very good accuracy and should be reliable for me. I dislike the keymod, but I could deal with it I guess. Debating on the value of having it pre built. I do like that they test fire. Save the hassle if something is out of spec. But I will be pinning a gas block on her.

The s&w has a good starting price and has mid length gas system. They seem to be reliable and accurate. Also comes with s&w warranty. I can install a mlok 15” handguard on her with adjustable gas block if need be. But I prefer to pin the gas block on, idk if an adjustable can be pinned.

Thank you for your help. I will not be going to battle everyday nor probably put 20k rounds through it. But I shoot as much as I can and just like my ar-15 I want a reliable rifle that can do what I need it to, when I need it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you get a chance to check out the Armalite? DEF-10 is a hell of value and comes with one of the best bolt groups. If you want to build or upgrade you have tons of options because all but one component can use the DPMS pattern parts.

Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    Did you get a chance to check out the Armalite? DEF-10 is a hell of value and comes with one of the best bolt groups. If you want to build or upgrade you have tons of options because all but one component can use the DPMS pattern parts.
    I looked at them but I am confused on gas system. I thought they used to be mid length but now they are listed as carbine length? They look solid but I got conflicting answers on gas system.

I’d get a mid or rifle length gas system.

My opinion: LaRue / Keymod >> S&W / MLok
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    I looked at them but I am confused on gas system. I thought they used to be mid length but now they are listed as carbine length? They look solid but I got conflicting answers on gas system.
    It's a bit confusing as Armalite calls it carbine length but it's carbine length in name only. I no longer have the parts but the gas tube was very close in size to the intermediate length on some of my 556 rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    It's a bit confusing as Armalite calls it carbine length but it's carbine length in name only. I no longer have the parts but the gas tube was very close in size to the intermediate length on some of my 556 rifles.
    Thank you, I much prefer a mid-length gas system.

I had an M&P10 a few years back. I never found it to be enough for anything, but maybe I wanted too much out of it. In other words, not accurate enough to be a precision gun. Not compact enough to use as a carbine. Not reliable enough with a suppressor (not to mention massive shift due to the barrel profile).

If you google around you can find some detailed pics and reports on my setup. I wouldn't consider it to be "duty" rated and from a hunting perspective, it's bigger, and more expensive than a bolt gun.

Honestly, for my needs, I determined that a 5.56 with good ammo (64gr Gold dots in my case) filled all the roles I thought I needed a battle rifle for. YMMV.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?29251-The-One
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    I have a Troy AR-308 that I am very happy with. It's not as well known as its weird pump-action cousin but it comes out of the box around $1100-1200 already set up with pile of Troy stuff including nice Troy iron sights and the Troy alpha rail.
    I'm currently around 300 rounds through it with Pmags, zero issues. I've mostly run a bunch of milsurp FNM and Czech surplus through it and while the FNM is dirty as hell I haven't had any reliability problems, even with 25 round mag dumps as fast as I could, but I've only done a couple of those.

Hornady TAP 168grn had no problems shooting sub MOA 3 round groups at 100yrds, but 5 round groups tended to produce at least one flyer that opened it up to ~1.75" or so. Might be me, might be the so-so stock trigger, might be the rifle itself, might be that particular ammo since it's a 1:11 twist, but I'm leaning toward it being me.
    Next time I take the rifle out I'm planning on bringing some quality 150grn ammo just to see if it likes the lighter bullets a bit more.

I'd take a SCAR or MR762 over it, no question, but for the money spent I'm very happy with it.

User Tag List