Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best battle rifle under 1800$

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    @HCM, I agree 100%. I'm thinking of the OP as more of a civilian who is unlikely to be in a situation requiring the use of an semi-auto battle rifle. And if Michigan is as I picture (thickly wooded) iron sights may not be as huge a disadvantage like it could be in say... eastern Montana. In my case a deer hunting rifle in southern Idaho would need a good optic, however a iron-sighted deer rifle in the panhandle would do quite well.

GSR is cheaper than the alternatives (especially if you find one used on gunbroker - I got mine for about $675) so there's more more money for optics, ammo, training, etc. It'd do a fine job as a ranch rifle and hunting rifle and I would not be "embarrassed" to use it at a shooting competition. All in all, it's another option to consider more than a recommendation.
    The Ruger is a great ranch / hunting rifle but when it comes to the Battle / fighting side of the equation bolt guns are obsolete. Period. As noted have run a Styer scout, an 03A3 and a Kar 98 in 2 gun type competition just for my own education. It not a matter of being embarrassed, it is simply that bolt guns are obsolete for two way range / gun fighting.

On an unrelated note, for the uses where a scout / practical rifle make sense I’m thinking of switching from the Styer to a GSR synthetic simply for the ability to run a suppressor or muzzle break. Mostly suppressor.
    Last edited by HCM; 07-01-2018 at 03:01 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Mega Arms machining and attention to detail beats Aero quality up and down all day. I haven't read up on their .308 stuff, but I'd certainly check it out if I was in that market.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Would you consider a compromise and try an AR15 size weapon in 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel?

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Mega Arms machining and attention to detail beats Aero quality up and down all day. I haven't read up on their .308 stuff, but I'd certainly check it out if I was in that market.
    Mega is no longer. Zev bought them and completely gutted them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Would you consider a compromise and try an AR15 size weapon in 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel?
    Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I thought about a 6.5 grendel. I also like the long range potential but in reality I would not stretch it out. The weight and size is a big plus also.

I like 308 and have been shooting it for a long time. I already own one and have some ammo stocked. And truthfully I have always wanted a 308 in a semi auto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post
    Mega is no longer. Zev bought them and completely gutted them.

I know Zev bought them but this is the first I’ve heard of Mega being “gutted”. Seems like killing the go,den goose.

The Larue upper kit is an insane deal. Especially since you are looking for a battle rifle, this seems like the obvious way to go.

The LMT LM8MWS is probably the closest "battle" option pricewise but that'll eat your whole budget for rifle+optic. They tend to be overgassed compared to others. The older, original MWS might be a few to several hundred cheaper but they are pigs at 11lbs+.

I like the S&W and DPMS G2 options mentioned by HCM. Affordable, slightly lighter options. The G2 has matured a bit.

The Larue combo would be my personal pick at your price. Mainly for reasonable accuracy and quality potential. You might want to research Larue chamber dimensions, they may not be "battle" spec.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I know Zev bought them but this is the first I’ve heard of Mega being “gutted”. Seems like killing the go,den goose.
    Okay maybe gutted was the wrong word. Significantly decreased product offerings. Now it's only 4 different receiver sets, a couple upper receiver groups, and a few complete rifles. All with the prices increased from what they were with mega.

User Tag List