Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Use The Self Defense Ammunition Across The Board.

Banned
    I want to give a little clarification on my post.

A few years ago I decided to consolidate my firearms "collection" with an emphasis on logistical issues. I sold off most of what I owned and migrated to 9mm Glocks, specifically a 19 and recently this 26.

9mm so I'm only stocking one relatively cheap caliber. Glock 19/26 specifically because both will take a 19 magazine if necessary. The fact that Glock magazines are cheaper than other types isn't a deal breaker but it IS a consideration.

As a couple other people have mentioned ammunition is cheaper in bulk so it only makes sense to me to by a case of SD ammunition rather than a box here and a box there. So ultimately all three Glocks will be loaded with 124Gr.+ Gold Dots. (Actually they all are now)

It just happened that this particular purchase was an impulse buy. I mean I already planned on getting a 26 but I was thinking a little further down the road. Normally I would have already had some Gold Dot on hand. But since I didn't I had to buy a box. That's what got me thinking.

It's easier to buy one load for a given caliber but I'll settle for one load for a specific platform that can share mags. That way I can have my G17 with a light for the nightstand, my G19 ready to go into a holster, my G26 ready to drop in a pocket and two spare mags that I can use in any of the three.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

I have been carrying HST for a few years in 9 and 40. In 9mm I picked the 124gr +P HST and settled on the 165gr HST in .40, however, I would also use the 180gr without hesitation. I just found a good deal on the 165gr load. In .45 I found a good deal on 230gr Golden Sabers and bought a bunch. Last week I ran some of it over my chronograph and got the following results:

124+P HST
    P2000 3.6in
    1171 fps/avg

Glock 17 4.49in
    1201 fps/avg

165 HST
    Glock 23
    1101 fps/avg

230gr Golden Saber
    M&P45c
    794 fps/avg

The P2000 is my primary carry gun so I ran some 135+P Critical Duty through it to see what I'd get: 1078 fps/avg

The 124 +P HST and 165 HST had what felt like nearly identical recoil, the 165s slightly more. I was impressed that on average I was only losing 30-40 fps from the P2000 in nearly every load I put over the chronograph. I will add that I put some 147 +P HST through it and averaged 1001 fps from the P2000 and 1052 fps from the Glock 17. I lost less velocity with the 124+P HST than I did with the 147+P which runs counter to what most people think about heavier loads in shorter barrels. All that being said, I'm going to run some standard pressure 124 HST over the chronograph and see what I come up with. If the average is greater than 1120 fps I think I'll switch from the +P to standard pressure. I will say, I thought I would lose more from the Critical Duty. I didn't run it through the Glock 17 to see the difference, but I pan to on my next trip. It had very manageable recoil and it seems to test well. I'm going to put some of their 124+P over the chronograph and see what I come up with.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    It's easier to buy one load for a given caliber but I'll settle for one load for a specific platform that can share mags. That way I can have my G17 with a light for the nightstand, my G19 ready to go into a holster, my G26 ready to drop in a pocket and two spare mags that I can use in any of the three.

I'm in Colorado so 17 magazines are pointless but I do keep 19 magazines for use in my 19 and my 26.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I'm in Colorado so 17 magazines are pointless but I do keep 19 magazines for use in my 19 and my 26.
    I'm in CO too but my job exempts me from the stupid limit, plus I had several 17's before the ban went into effect. The 15 round mags for the G17 seem to work fine but I haven't tested them extensively. I've been very very slowly trying to transition over the Beretta 92's and PX4's, both of those have reliable 15-round options.
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Banned
    I'm in CO too but my job exempts me from the stupid limit, plus I had several 17's before the ban went into effect. The 15 round mags for the G17 seem to work fine but I haven't tested them extensively. I've been very very slowly trying to transition over the Beretta 92's and PX4's, both of those have reliable 15-round options.

There were a couple of reasons why I switched from an M&P9 to a Glock 19 but one of the primary reasons was that the standard magazine for a Glock 19 is legal in Colorado. The fact that Glock magazines are about 10 bucks cheaper than S&W was a consideration too

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    There were a couple of reasons why I switched from an M&P9 to a Glock 19 but one of the primary reasons was that the standard magazine for a Glock 19 is legal in Colorado. The fact that Glock magazines are about 10 bucks cheaper than S&W was a consideration too
    Yeah, getting mags that hold more than 15 rounds is a hassle so anything that holds 15 rounds has gained in appeal for me. I have a bunch of Glock 19 and 22 mags. I need to buy a bunch of G22, and M&P 40 and 45 police surplus mags while they're still available for $10.

Banned
    Yeah, getting mags that hold more than 15 rounds is a hassle so anything that holds 15 rounds has gained in appeal for me. I have a bunch of Glock 19 and 22 mags. I need to buy a bunch of G22, and M&P 40 and 45 police surplus mags while they're still available for $10.
    They're still gun shops in Colorado that ignore that law but I've come to the conclusion that I'm better off avoiding legal gray areas and remaining in clear compliance with the law.

If I'm walking around with a 15-round plus magazine I'm putting myself in the position to allow another person to have at least partial control over my life.

I ran into a guy the other day that was carrying one of the new 19Xs (The baby shit brown one with the 17 lower and the 19 slide) and he wanted to show it off. I told him it was a nice gun and everything but that he was putting his future in the hands of the next cop that he ran into.

And he got all huffy and said to me that they have to prove that I didn't have this magazine before July of 2013. To which I replied they didn't MAKE that magazine before July of 2013. He really didn't know what to say to that.

Site Supporter
    I'll be in Colorado next month for a week so I bought a pair of 15-round mags for my PX4. I download the spare 17-round mag by one because it's easier to reload that way, while the 15-rounders are fine fully loaded, so it's a net loss of three rounds. I can live with that more than the risk of legal issues.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I'll be in Colorado next month for a week so I bought a pair of 15-round mags for my PX4. I download the spare 17-round mag by one because it's easier to reload that way, while the 15-rounders are fine fully loaded, so it's a net loss of three rounds. I can live with that more than the risk of legal issues.
    The law addresses the capacity of the magazine not how many rounds are in it but the law specifically exempts people who live out of state.

User Tag List