Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Use The Self Defense Ammunition Across The Board.

Banned

Do You Use The Same Self Defense Ammunition Across The Board.

That's supposed to be The Same Self Defense Ammunition

I normally carry a Glock 19. I recently purchased a Glock 26 for those rare ocassions when I need something more concealable.

When I bought the 26 I also bought some SD ammunition. I chose Speer 124 grain Gold Dots because that's what's in my 19.

My question is do you go out of your way to make sure that your SD ammunition (assuming the same caliber) is uniform across the board? Is this best practices or is it irrelevant.
    Last edited by Cypher; 07-01-2018 at 09:44 AM.

I don't "go out of my way" necessarily, though all of my Glocks are currently loaded with Federal 147gr HST (standard pressure).

That said, I'm comfortable using any of the "Doc approved" rounds in my inventory in any of my firearms as long as they have proven to perform adequately with the specific firearm during training.
    Last edited by blues; 07-01-2018 at 09:25 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Do You Use The Self Defense Ammunition Across The Board.

Yes.

I use whatever is on Doc’s list and generally available at www.sgammo.com.

Right now that’s Federal HST 147; previously in 2016/17 I used Speer 124+p Gold Dots. In 2014/15 I used Ranger T 124 (RA9124TP).

The Federal seems to smack my hand less than the +p so, being as I have some lingering shoulder issues, I’m liking it.
    Last edited by RJ; 07-01-2018 at 09:31 AM.

Do You Use The Self Defense Ammunition Across The Board.

It’s more convenient for me to order a case of ammunition at a time. When it’s time to get more ammo, I generally pick whichever load on Doc’s list I can find the cheapest. A couple of years ago, it was Federal HST 124gr +P. I use it for my G19 and my G26 and it functions fine in both. Before that, it was Winchester Ranger 147gr Bonded. The recoil on the 124gr +P HST is a little harsher than I prefer so the next time I place an order, it’ll probably be 147gr HST. That won’t be for a while because I still have a little more than half a case of the 124gr +P.

Pick something you like that meets the FBI standards and functions in your guns. Grab a case of it and you won’t have to think about this problem again for years, assuming you’re like me and once you verify the ammo functions, you only shoot off the ammo you’ve been carrying once or twice a year to replace it with new ammo.

You can generally find 9mm HST for about $345 a case at Bone Frog Gun Club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by WobblyPossum; 07-01-2018 at 09:32 AM.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

My personal opinion is that it is far more important where you put it than what you deliver to do the job. I am never going to get down in the muck and argue that my choice of round is better than yours.

In general I pick something with known proven performance and no longer concern myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    My question is do you go out of your way to make sure that your SD ammunition (assuming the same caliber) is uniform across the board? Is this best practices or is it irrelevant.
    I feel like if nothing else, it's logistically easier to only stock one type of ammo. Why bother with multiple types of carry ammo if your guns are all happy eating the same stuff? Maybe if you just can't find one that works in all of your guns, then it might make sense to stock multiple ammo types, but given your stated scenario of G19/G26, I'd be shocked if the same ammo wouldn't be fine in both.

In my shorter barrelled pistols I prefer to use something with lower muzzle blast and expands more aggressively. Increased blast to the shooter can potentially effect shooting performance(auditory exclusion has never been demonstrated to always occur), and standard pressure 147gr loads have a reduced signature. So, I use Federal 147gr HSTs for my shorter barreled 9mms. 147gr loads also retain more of their velocity when fired from shorter barrels versus lighter, higher velocity loads which lose a lot more performance.

If I had to pick one load for everything, I'd stick with the Fed 147gr HSTs, however I have observed that higher velocity, high impact energy loads punch through hard barriers like vehicle materials better. So for duty out of a 4.7" P320 barrel I prefer to use Speer 124gr+P Gold Dots. My ideal load for this role would be a bonded, 135gr+P JHP load but I haven't found a decent one that measures up to the bullet construction of the HST, GD, or G2. I tried the Federal Tactical Bonded 135gr+P for a while, but its chronoed velocity was too low for my tastes and the bullet broke apart too easily against various materials that my agency tested.
    Last edited by KhanRad; 07-01-2018 at 09:59 AM.
    "A man with an experience is not a slave to a man with an opinion."

Quote Originally Posted by KhanRad View Post
    My ideal load for this role would be a bonded, 135gr+P JHP load but I haven't found a decent one that measures up to the bullet construction of the HST, GD, or G2. I tried the Federal Tactical Bonded 135gr+P for a while, but its chronoed velocity was too low for my tastes and the bullet broke apart too easily against various materials that my agency tested.
    Your stated "ideal load" basically describes Hornady Critical Duty. Have you tried that one?

Just to add I discovered these cool little 100 round boxes at a Gun Range in Weatherford Texas last year:

MTM 380/9MM Cal 100 Round Flip-Top Ammo Box

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H8ZO1U..._SZooBb8M364W1

I find one box very handy to manage a box or two of Defense ammo, with room for chambered rounds set aside, unused rounds etc.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I don't "go out of my way" necessarily, though all of my Glocks are currently loaded with Federal 147gr HST (standard pressure).

That said, I'm comfortable using any of the "Doc approved" rounds in my inventory in any of my firearms as long as they have proven to perform adequately with the specific firearm during training.
    Same here as long as it's bonded ammo. When I couldn't find 147gr HST (standard or +P) I used Remington 147gr or Hornady Critical Duty 135gr. If I can't find 147 I will go with another bullet weight and check POA/POI.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    My personal opinion is that it is far more important where you put it than what you deliver to do the job.
    Previous experience in the era of not so great JHP indicates that that is the key.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List